Considering becoming a nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsSarahLou93

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been on here a while and love everyone's advice, that I need some of my own..
I've always worked office jobs, but they're just not fulfilling enough for me. I have my nails done with CND shellac and just love it. So much so, I'm considering taking a course to become qualified.
There's a 2 day course for CND by Sweet Square that I'm considering taking. Once I'd done this, would I be qualified?
Also, I'd be more tempted to set up from home. Any advice on how you first started to gain interest and clientele?

Thank you :) xx

What is the 2 day course you are thinking of taking?

Having your own nails looking fab is always good, then friends and family, neighbours etc.

What is the 2 day course you are thinking of taking?

Having your own nails looking fab is always good, then friends and family, neighbours etc.
Hi CadenceAlex
It's CND for beginners by Sweet Square. They run classes all over the country.
I've read reviews from people that have done it but wasn't sure if it be able to work on the public once qualified. So if anyone has done it [emoji846] that would be great.

I've not had my nails done for a while due to moving but missing it loads, so I will be having them done tomorrow!

Hi CadenceAlex
It's CND for beginners by Sweet Square. They run classes all over the country.
I've read reviews from people that have done it but wasn't sure if it be able to work on the public once qualified. So if anyone has done it [emoji846] that would be great.

I've not had my nails done for a while due to moving but missing it loads, so I will be having them done tomorrow!

Is it the 2 day Shellac course for beginners? The other courses are over 6 weeks and for full systems, from what I can see.

I have read it and it doesn't say whether you then become qualified or not but I would assume so as I would assume you would learn how to manicure too? I could be wrong, however.

I've just started doing my own nails again after having 6 kids, I really do miss having them nice. And toes of course!

Is it the 2 day Shellac course for beginners? The other courses are over 6 weeks and for full systems, from what I can see.

I have read it and it doesn't say whether you then become qualified or not but I would assume so as I would assume you would learn how to manicure too? I could be wrong, however.

I've just started doing my own nails again after having 6 kids, I really do miss having them nice. And toes of course!
Yes it is! I believe it does purely focus on the CND application along with H&S etc..
I've dropped them a message to see if they can clarify.
Just there are so many courses that cost much and I don't want to invest to turn out I wouldn't be able to do anything!

Oh yes, I've just had my pedicure done and it deffo makes you feel like a whole new person!

Yes the 2-day Shellac beginners course with S2 will mean that you would then be qualified to a) buy genuine shellac and b) complete shellac treatments on the public.

Yes the 2-day Shellac beginners course with S2 will mean that you would then be qualified to a) buy genuine shellac and b) complete shellac treatments on the public.
That's great! Thank you so much [emoji846]

Yay! Got for it. I did and I love it! Can’t wait to get stuck in and make a wonderful career of it :) ... I also will be setting up my home based “nail den” within the next few months, so exciting.

If you want someone to chat to, I’m all ears as I’m just setting up too. The more support we can all get the better. Good luck and welcome to the amazing world of nails [emoji178]

Yay! Got for it. I did and I love it! Can’t wait to get stuck in and make a wonderful career of it :) ... I also will be setting up my home based “nail den” within the next few months, so exciting.

If you want someone to chat to, I’m all ears as I’m just setting up too. The more support we can all get the better. Good luck and welcome to the amazing world of nails [emoji178]
Oooh how exciting! [emoji846] I think it's just nerves and how it'll go as I've never dipped my foot in the beauty industry before. I've come to realise that even though I've been at my new job for 4 weeks - working 9 till 5 is not for me.
I need something a bit more exciting than that!
I'll deffo take you up on the offer of having a chat - it seems to be a big wide world and I'd be more than happy to have someone to share it all with [emoji173] Thank you xx

Yes, this course would qualify you to perform Shellac services on others :) It does not cover enhancements/extensions in gel and acrylic, this would be the longer course with exam, that others have mentioned. As for advice and clientele, I suppose that would depend on your area. I am having no luck getting people in for just Shellac, but CND Brisa enhancements are "flying off the shelves" so to speak lol. The enhancements are what keeps me busy, even though I would love to do more Shellac, people just are not interested in that around here. But again, depends on your area I guess.
If you are serious about starting a business, you will need to think of ways to market yourself though. I haven't had much luck with business cards, but posting daily photos on FB and IG has gained me a lot of new customers in the very short time since I started a few months ago. I did free / very cheap sets to get some photo material, so I could post. I then boosted those posts. It seemed to work for me anyway. Then it's word of mouth, which is very powerful. If you sense that they are happy, suggest they tell their friends. You could try to do an offer "refer a friend" and give them a discount or something with value on their next visit, provided the friend actually books with you. GOod luck :))

Don't you have to have a manicure qualification for the shellac course. Not 100% sure but I remember reading something about it when I looked at it. Or I might be thinking of something else x

Yes, this course would qualify you to perform Shellac services on others :) It does not cover enhancements/extensions in gel and acrylic, this would be the longer course with exam, that others have mentioned. As for advice and clientele, I suppose that would depend on your area. I am having no luck getting people in for just Shellac, but CND Brisa enhancements are "flying off the shelves" so to speak lol. The enhancements are what keeps me busy, even though I would love to do more Shellac, people just are not interested in that around here. But again, depends on your area I guess.
If you are serious about starting a business, you will need to think of ways to market yourself though. I haven't had much luck with business cards, but posting daily photos on FB and IG has gained me a lot of new customers in the very short time since I started a few months ago. I did free / very cheap sets to get some photo material, so I could post. I then boosted those posts. It seemed to work for me anyway. Then it's word of mouth, which is very powerful. If you sense that they are happy, suggest they tell their friends. You could try to do an offer "refer a friend" and give them a discount or something with value on their next visit, provided the friend actually books with you. GOod luck :))
Thank you so much for your advice [emoji846]
I've seen this CND Brisa Enhancements, perhaps something for further down the line if the shellac goes well/or doesn't..
Its so nerve wracking taking a new step but it's something for years I've considered and perhaps it could be the start of something new! Thank you again, I really like everything you have given me xx

Hi girls I’ve just recently done my manicure/gel polish diploma with ink london and intend to start working from home in the next couple of weeks I’ve spoke with the council who just referred me to the chambers of commerce where I had a business meeting with an advisor I’ve got my home insurance changed my liability insurance and car insurance done is there anything else you might know that I need to have? I keep reading about an MST license ? Anyone know anything about it ?
I’ll only be doing gel polish but would like to expand to enhancements and maybe offer brows and lashes later down the line
Many thanks girls xx

Hi im

Hi I’m looking to start up to hopefully in time for Christmas to give it a good go how are you getting on so far?x

Latest posts

Back