Considering bringing Shellac into the salon but have a few questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellishbellish

Reaction score
I currently use Jessica GELeration in my salon but after persevering for a very long time with different techniques of removal, I am beginning to hate it and am wanting another option. I am wondering (probably a no!) if any of you have regretted bringing it in?

I currently use an led lamp so don't need to think about bulbs with it, the CND uv one, how often do you change the bulbs? I think the woman I spoke to said 100 hours but I'm never going to do a countdown! Is there anything that tells you when they need changing?

I'm also wondering what kit to get...I was thinking the middle range one with 23 colours. What did others go with? Was there anything else on top of the kits you needed to buy or would recommend doing?

Sorry I am just after reassurance about getting this in. I am particularly after it regarding an easy removal and a long lasting product, as I want to move GELeration clients onto it but I have someone who gets 6+ weeks out of it - is it possible the same could happen with Shellac?

I currently use Jessica GELeration in my salon but after persevering for a very long time with different techniques of removal, I am beginning to hate it and am wanting another option. I am wondering (probably a no!) if any of you have regretted bringing it in?

I currently use an led lamp so don't need to think about bulbs with it, the CND uv one, how often do you change the bulbs? I think the woman I spoke to said 100 hours but I'm never going to do a countdown! Is there anything that tells you when they need changing?

yes, the lamp tells you how many hours of usage you have left and will in fact stop working when your bulbs no longer are emitting the optimum amount of UV for complete cure. :D

I'm also wondering what kit to get...I was thinking the middle range one with 23 colours. What did others go with? Was there anything else on top of the kits you needed to buy or would recommend doing?

speak to the girls atvSweetvSquaredcaboutvthis ... They know all the answered for you.

Sorry I am just after reassurance about getting this in. I am particularly after it regarding an easy removal and a long lasting product, as I want to move GELeration clients onto it but I have someone who gets 6+ weeks out of it - is it possible the same could happen with Shellac?

Who wants 6 weeks wear with Shellac? I wouldn't let my clients go that long even if they could. Shellac is not advertised that way nor does it guarantee that long a wear time. You may get a client who can do it, but that is not a bonus for you. The nails will look dreadful.

There is all the reassurance here on this site with thousands of technicians happily and, more importantly, profitably using Shellac and Brisa Lite. You only have to do a bit of looking and reading to get the picture of how fab and unique Shellac is. I do recommend a class to understand the product and how it is used ASAP. You will love it.

I don't think it's possible hun. My Shellac clients get 2 to 3 week out of their Shellac. That is without Brisa Lite. With Brisa Lite Smoothing gel, most of them can get one week extra out of it.... but 6 weeks? what about the out-grow?

Who wants 6 weeks wear with Shellac? I wouldn't let my clients go that long even if they could. Shellac is not advertised that way nor does it guarantee that long a wear time. You may get a client who can do it, but that is not a bonus for you. The nails will look dreadful.

There is all the reassurance here on this site with thousands of technicians happily and, more importantly, profitably using Shellac and Brisa Lite. You only have to do a bit of looking and reading to get the picture of how fab and unique Shellac is. I do recommend a class to understand the product and how it is used ASAP. You will love it.

Thankyou for the reply :) and thanks for clearing up about the lamp, no worries there then!

I haven't recommended her to wear them for that long, but unfortunately even though when I see her the next time she still doesn't listen, and as they are lasting I don't think she sees why I am telling her to come back.

Yes I am the kind of person that wants to know the system in and out, and I plan on going on the training at the end of the month if (or rather when) I get it in. I know there is loads of support for Shellac on this site and that it is a great product, I love all the things that people can do with it!

I don't think it's possible hun. My Shellac clients get 2 to 3 week out of their Shellac. That is without Brisa Lite. With Brisa Lite Smoothing gel, most of them can get one week extra out of it.... but 6 weeks? what about the out-grow?

Funnily enough her nails only look slightly grown out! It always surprises me how little they really have grown out. Argh no, I wonder how I will get her to transfer over! :S thanks for your reply.

Funnily enough her nails only look slightly grown out! It always surprises me how little they really have grown out. Argh no, I wonder how I will get her to transfer over! :S thanks for your reply.

Why is she so wedded to the product? It's only a gel polish like many others.
If she has strong nails and slow regrowth then there is absolutely no reason at all why Shellac shouldn't last for her. If she senses your insecurity with the product though, for sure she will be back at the least opportunity for a freeby.

I would keep going with the product she likes for as long as you have some, while you get to know Shellac and how to use it and all the new options that are available with Brisa Lite. You do really have it all with those two products. Have fun and I know you will love Shellac.

you can't not change because of 1 client, Shellac is great and im sure you and your clients will agree, and will more thank likely bring you more clients.

If you love the products you uses it's shows to your clients and they then love it too.

x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

. I am wondering (probably a no!) if any of you have regretted bringing it in?
The only regret for me is not getting it sooner! it truly has changed everything for me and my clients x

Why is she so wedded to the product? It's only a gel polish like many others.
If she has strong nails and slow regrowth then there is absolutely no reason at all why Shellac shouldn't last for her. If she senses your insecurity with the product though, for sure she will be back at the least opportunity for a freeby.

I would keep going with the product she likes for as long as you have some, while you get to know Shellac and how to use it and all the new options that are available with Brisa Lite. You do really have it all with those two products. Have fun and I know you will love Shellac.

She never used to wear anything on her nails, and I think she loves the fact that she can look at her hands and feel properly "finished off", plus the fact it lasts a long time on her. I think I will try the Shellac on her at some point after getting it in and see how it differs on her. Thank you for suggesting that she could potentially get the same endurance. In all fairness she is a lovely customer who is also a family friend so I think she would be fine in me doing this. For the Brisa Lite, can I use this even if I have not done a gel enhancement course? Is there a further course to go on to learn how to use it properly? Thank you for your advice about keeping her going on that system for now, I may well do that. Will probably just have to go by ear as to when to try her on the Shellac :)

you can't not change because of 1 client, Shellac is great and im sure you and your clients will agree, and will more thank likely bring you more clients.

If you love the products you uses it's shows to your clients and they then love it too.

x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Thanks for the reply. I want it now! Haha!

I'd recommend keeping Jessica Geleration and adding CND Shellac. I work with a number of salons offering Jessica Geleration and they love it, but I think that Shellac and Geleration are perfect complements for one another and together give a good range of choices for clients. The CND lamp is really excellent and keeps you informed about when new bulbs are needed, but I don't think I could go back to CFL UV after having LED UV! I do find that Shellac is easier to remove (as is OPI), but not as durable as Gelaration. Have you worked with your Jessica rep on your removal issues? I find that they offer great customer support (as does CND).

Hi, I wont repeat everyone else but just to say that Shellac is fab and there's no way you could regret making the move, especially if removal is an issue for you because the removal is just so easy and gentle.

I just thought I'd comment about the 6 weeks wear though. On your normal run of the mill client 6 weeks isnt a good idea. Its perfectly possible, because Shellac is hard wearing, but after 6 weeks they will look terrible, and the point of visiting a salon is that you want your nails to look nice, so you're kind of defeating the whole purpose by trying to get your moneys worth by wearing them for 6 weeks!!

However, I have extremely slow growing nails, possibly due to a genetic disorder I have, but I need rebalances/new shellac etc about once every 5 weeks, any less than that would be completely unnecessary, and I can wear Shellac for the 5 weeks with no problems. It doesnt lift, peel or chip, and it doesnt lose its shine, so if your 6 week client is similar to me in that her nails dont grow at the normal rate then theres no reason why she cant get her 6 weeks wear out of them, but if she's just a miser I'd recommend she goes no longer than 3 weeks :Love:

I have a couple of clients who's own natural nails are super strong and they both go around the 6 week mark with their shellac still perfect apart from the re growth. So there is no reason for it not to work if she has the strong foundation.
Although its not ideal and its us losing money it can be done.
Jen xx

She never used to wear anything on her nails, and I think she loves the fact that she can look at her hands and feel properly "finished off", plus the fact it lasts a long time on her. I think I will try the Shellac on her at some point after getting it in and see how it differs on her. Thank you for suggesting that she could potentially get the same endurance. In all fairness she is a lovely customer who is also a family friend so I think she would be fine in me doing this. For the Brisa Lite, can I use this even if I have not done a gel enhancement course? Is there a further course to go on to learn how to use it properly? Thank you for your advice about keeping her going on that system for now, I may well do that. Will probably just have to go by ear as to when to try her on the Shellac :)

There are two different Brisa Lite gels. One is for enhancements and you would need a course to use the Brisa Lite Removable Sculpting gel but the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is used like Shellac; worn on its own or with Shellac it makes virtually any surface smooth in just one coat. :D

As for the traditional UV lamp vs the LED UV lamps ... There is no difference in service time for a normal appointment between the two although I can see the advantage of LED for doing repairs or perhaps ones own nails but I don't see enough advantage to want to invest and we are perfectly happy in our salon without LED ... it's a choice that is available for those who want it ... but it is definitely a WANT and not a NEED. CND will have that option later on this year if you feel it is a must have for you.

Comparing the market in the US with the market in the UK and Europe is fairly meaningless. Judging by CND sales, and the Success of Shellac in the US as well as the rest of the world ... The technicians love it, love the way it has rejuvenated their business and they love how they are supported when using it.

I'd recommend keeping Jessica Geleration and adding CND Shellac. I work with a number of salons offering Jessica Geleration and they love it, but I think that Shellac and Geleration are perfect complements for one another and together give a good range of choices for clients. The CND lamp is really excellent and keeps you informed about when new bulbs are needed, but I don't think I could go back to CFL UV after having LED UV! I do find that Shellac is easier to remove (as is OPI), but not as durable as Gelaration. Have you worked with your Jessica rep on your removal issues? I find that they offer great customer support (as does CND).

Hi and thanks for your reply. I think I will keep both going together for a bit and see how it goes. It makes sense to do this as well because I have quite a lot of the GELeration product range! I have tried every combination the courses have said, the customer support have said and the rep, and even things on here - nothing speeds it up. I do so so thin layers that I need 3 thin ones and it still makes no difference. The rep was meant to be coming 2 weeks ago to me and she was going to demo me a removal on my own nails, but she cancelled 2 days before and nothing has been rebooked. I've got so fed up of them and think their customer support is generally rubbish.

Hi, I wont repeat everyone else but just to say that Shellac is fab and there's no way you could regret making the move, especially if removal is an issue for you because the removal is just so easy and gentle.

I just thought I'd comment about the 6 weeks wear though. On your normal run of the mill client 6 weeks isnt a good idea. Its perfectly possible, because Shellac is hard wearing, but after 6 weeks they will look terrible, and the point of visiting a salon is that you want your nails to look nice, so you're kind of defeating the whole purpose by trying to get your moneys worth by wearing them for 6 weeks!!

However, I have extremely slow growing nails, possibly due to a genetic disorder I have, but I need rebalances/new shellac etc about once every 5 weeks, any less than that would be completely unnecessary, and I can wear Shellac for the 5 weeks with no problems. It doesnt lift, peel or chip, and it doesnt lose its shine, so if your 6 week client is similar to me in that her nails dont grow at the normal rate then theres no reason why she cant get her 6 weeks wear out of them, but if she's just a miser I'd recommend she goes no longer than 3 weeks :Love:

Thanks for your reply too. It sounds like you and this client are similar then, as there is only a slight growing out of the nails. The colour hasn't chipped, peeled, or in any other way got damaged - in fact it looks like it has only been on about 2/3 weeks! Thanks for your advice, much appreciated :)

I have a couple of clients who's own natural nails are super strong and they both go around the 6 week mark with their shellac still perfect apart from the re growth. So there is no reason for it not to work if she has the strong foundation.
Although its not ideal and its us losing money it can be done.
Jen xx

Yeah her nails are in fantastic condition, I actually love doing them as they look gorgeous afterwards. She does all the aftercare I tell her as well. Thanks for your reply, it's good to know there are other people with clients that have it lasting so long!

There are two different Brisa Lite gels. One is for enhancements and you would need a course to use the Brisa Lite Removable Sculpting gel but the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is used like Shellac; worn on its own or with Shellac it makes virtually any surface smooth in just one coat. :D

As for the traditional UV lamp vs the LED UV lamps ... There is no difference in service time for a normal appointment between the two although I can see the advantage of LED for doing repairs or perhaps ones own nails but I don't see enough advantage to want to invest and we are perfectly happy in our salon without LED ... it's a choice that is available for those who want it ... but it is definitely a WANT and not a NEED. CND will have that option later on this year if you feel it is a must have for you.

Comparing the market in the US with the market in the UK and Europe is fairly meaningless. Judging by CND sales, and the Success of Shellac in the US as well as the rest of the world ... The technicians love it, love the way it has rejuvenated their business and they love how they are supported when using it.

Does the Brisa Lite make the Shellac more hard wearing then? Could I put it on clients with peeling nails? Thank you for your excellent and thorough advice by the way :)

Hi and thanks for your reply. I think I will keep both going together for a bit and see how it goes. It makes sense to do this as well because I have quite a lot of the GELeration product range! I have tried every combination the courses have said, the customer support have said and the rep, and even things on here - nothing speeds it up. I do so so thin layers that I need 3 thin ones and it still makes no difference. The rep was meant to be coming 2 weeks ago to me and she was going to demo me a removal on my own nails, but she cancelled 2 days before and nothing has been rebooked. I've got so fed up of them and think their customer support is generally rubbish.

I must confess that I am surprised by this. In my experience, Jessica and CND with their commitment to the nail professional have great education, training and customer service. I would recommend getting back in touch with them ASAP and express your disappointment.

Latest posts

Back