Constant complaints services too expensive, but don’t set own prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bitdreams

Reaction score
I’m a year and a half out of hair school and working in a top salon that is very, very busy. It’s not chair rental or anything, so I am an employee, and I don’t set my own prices. I am in the salon’s lowest pricing bracket and working on growing my clientele, which my boss says on average takes 5 years to be solidly fully booked.

75% of the time that there is someone in my chair, price is an issue. I don’t know what to do or say about it anymore. I’ve tried my boss’ advice about asking them what there budget is in response to that reaction and then offering them creative ideas as to what we can accomplish in that budget and it works fine in the moment, but ultimately I think it is affecting my growth. Particularly with people close to me. Family and family friends give me a chance because they love the work that I do (I post it on social media), and they always love the end result... But then I hear through the grapevine how they love their hair but are very unhappy with the price and how that’s a big issue. Some do come back because they love what I do... but I would say most decide that it’s just too expensive. They’ve even told me that straight up before. They compare me to more senior stylists at other salons that charge less.

My boss reassured me that I’m doing amazing work that continues to justify my price, and the other girls at my salon charge A LOT more than I do and are solidly busy, but it feels so defeating to see that people (particularly those close to me, because strangers don’t seem bothered, its just much harder to get strangers in my chair) don’t think I’m worth it, despite them saying how much happier they are with my services than they have been with others.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to cheapen myself by offering discounted services considering the thousands of dollars I have invested in advanced education since graduating hair school, the skill that I am performing at, and the salon that I work in. My boss (40 years experience) always tells me that other than my immediate family, like my mom and sister, discounting my prices to bring in or keep a client is only going to attract people who are loyal only to bargains and not to me, but like I said — getting strangers in your chair is hard if they aren’t the product of referrals from the people whose hair you do. It all just really makes me doubt myself...

What should I do?

Honestly, it just takes time. Especially if you're in a premium setting you just need to keep waiting for the premium clients who of course, may not be friends and family. If you're getting paid regardless and doing amazing work by your bosses own admission and have your chair filled 75% of the time I don't think there is anything negative to take away from that :)

Folk EVERYWHERE are struggling to 'justify' their pricing.
I think the problem has been the 'cut price culture' that has sprung up in the last few years - our clients now expect to pay less than we can charge, and remain a viable business!
Salons are having to compete with an increasing number of mobile hair stylists, and those choosing to work from home studios...
Many more salons offering 40, 50% off deals, to try and attract clients from their competitors......
Eventually it just becomes a race to the bottom, with no real winners.
I would rather do fewer clients well, than lower my standards or prices, but these are tough times. :confused:

Ok I had something similar when I first started out. And to a degree I still do get the odd 'friend'.

Friends and family I believe can be the absolute worst clients!

I made a mistake many years back and gave 7 of 'my group' a discount. And guess what happened they took the absolute pi**!

One even cancelled 3 min before her colour appointment CHRISTMAS WEEK! Then went crazy when I couldn't fit her in anywhere or work an extra 3 hours!

I only do one of those clients now and she's wonderful! Never moans, even though she struggles with money & has 3 children she sees it as a massive treat! Having said that...... if we ever need a model I'll ask her if she's free, just to give something back.

Don't be offended.
Maybe they think they should get special treatment as they know you?
Do you have a menu or pricelist you can send to friends when they express interest? Or better still have it on your Facebook!

If they like the work you do the ones that know your worth will be back, the ones that chase deals will be back when someone cheaper does a crap job! Remember #paycheappaytwice!

When you establish a reputation, you don't care what other people think. You only care what your clients think. And if they don't come back?..... They're not your cup of tea simples X X x

Honestly, it just takes time. Especially if you're in a premium setting you just need to keep waiting for the premium clients who of course, may not be friends and family. If you're getting paid regardless and doing amazing work by your bosses own admission and have your chair filled 75% of the time I don't think there is anything negative to take away from that :)

To clarify, what I meant with 75% was not that I have people in my chair 75% of the time, but rather 75% of the people that end up in my chair. But I know the rest of what you’re saying still stands.

You’re right, family and friends might not be those premium clients... but maybe that’s why I’m taking this so personally. Because I know for a fact that (family at the very least) are premium people. You know, the sort that spend money on luxury cars, large homes, designer bags, expensive restaurants. On the regular. They are people who discouraged me from ever going to hair school because they insisted I wouldn’t make any money, and rather should join the family business and guarantee myself 6 figures. -sigh- But maybe that’s presumptuous of me. Just because they are happy to spend extensively on those things still doesn’t make them premium clients because you can have a lot of money, but still not prioritize hair as something you want to spend your money on.

Ok I had something similar when I first started out. And to a degree I still do get the odd 'friend'.

Friends and family I believe can be the absolute worst clients!

I made a mistake many years back and gave 7 of 'my group' a discount. And guess what happened they took the absolute pi**!

One even cancelled 3 min before her colour appointment CHRISTMAS WEEK! Then went crazy when I couldn't fit her in anywhere or work an extra 3 hours!

I only do one of those clients now and she's wonderful! Never moans, even though she struggles with money & has 3 children she sees it as a massive treat! Having said that...... if we ever need a model I'll ask her if she's free, just to give something back.

Don't be offended.
Maybe they think they should get special treatment as they know you?
Do you have a menu or pricelist you can send to friends when they express interest? Or better still have it on your Facebook!

If they like the work you do the ones that know your worth will be back, the ones that chase deals will be back when someone cheaper does a crap job! Remember #paycheappaytwice!

When you establish a reputation, you don't care what other people think. You only care what your clients think. And if they don't come back?..... They're not your cup of tea simples X X x

I guess it’s just hard to accept that people close to me, who always tell me I made a mistake by entering this field because there is no money in it and that I should be making more money, don’t think I’m worth my price. It hurts. Sometimes I wonder if it’s because they can’t imagine me as a professional in something or they don’t respect me because to them a hairstylist is so low level.

And I think a part of it is also that I’m still newer to the industry and struggling to get people in my chair. I don’t really have a reputation built that I can just be pleased with it and not care what they think. Instead, I’m here just so badly wanting to have their support.

I guess it’s just hard to accept that people close to me, who always tell me I made a mistake by entering this field because there is no money in it and that I should be making more money, don’t think I’m worth my price. It hurts. Sometimes I wonder if it’s because they can’t imagine me as a professional in something or they don’t respect me because to them a hairstylist is so low level.

And I think a part of it is also that I’m still newer to the industry and struggling to get people in my chair. I don’t really have a reputation built that I can just be pleased with it and not care what they think. Instead, I’m here just so badly wanting to have their support.
You will get all of this! But concentrate on who raves about your work rather than those who are negative.

It's great when you are eventuslly able to turn these people away as you're too busy [emoji23][emoji51]

You need to make sure the price is being told to them when they book their appointment, make it clear from the start and if they don’t like the price they will go else where. The salon must have a type of clientele that they are aiming to get in, which would probably explain the prices, the salon i am in I work commission and don’t have control over the prices it’s more expensive then when I was working Mobile and in a previous salon but my clientele has changed completely, my clients know the price from the start, yes I am still having days where I have no clients in for hours then days where I’m fully booked from 9-8.

the salon i am in I work commission and don’t have control over the prices.

This is illegal and if reported to HMRC, your salon owner risks prosecution, a fine and a criminal record.
Regardless of whether you work commission based or rent a chair, you are self employed so must be allowed to set your own prices.
If the salon owner wants to set the prices and dictate your hours, they must pay you as an employee.
It’s really that simple!

Latest posts

Back