Constructive website criticism please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautiqueSpa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Would love some constructive criticism advice on my website, I get lots of hits but not many visitors go on to direct book via my website. I get most of my bookings through Facebook inquiries asking when I'm available but people can book direct on my website a date and time they like. I get lots of people registering on my site too but don't know if the booking system is a bit laborious.

I would really appreciate some outside viewpoints on this.

www.beautiquebyriley.com

Thanks in advance xx

Hiya, I'm a professional web designer who's built many sites for hair/beauty professionals over the years (some on this forum) so I'll happily give you some constructive feedback. It may look like a lot but don't take it to heart it's all in the spirit of helping you improve it :)

Home Page
  • The menu font size is very small

• Is there a purpose for the search site box? These typically aren't worth worrying about.

• The home page intro text doesn't show on mobile

• The header area is very tall so even when I'm scrolling it's taking up a lot of viewing real estate space

• I think the footer should include the things like your opening hours, perhaps a social media feed, contact details etc. in a more refined way like columns. Footers can be really good spaces to get users to take action so don't waste it. You can see what I've done as an example (please don't copy) here on a clients site - https://weddinghairbytara.co.uk

• Under each circle image where you have 'book now' it's better if it was 'find out more' and take them to the relevant page as no one is going to book straight off the bat after just landing on a home page. You need to take the user on a journey

About Page
  • The text over the video background hero image on this page is incredibly hard to read. This content also doesn't even show on mobile.

• 'Learn More' button in the above-mentioned section doesn't do anything

• Terms of service are practically impossible to read over that image. If you want to use an image you need a dark overlay to make the font visible

Our Staff
  • Blue header + blue page background = too much blue. Make the page a white background and I'm sure you're working on getting images of the other staff :)

• On mobile you can't even see all 3 peoples names. It's cut off the third lady.

Updates
  • Change the word updates in the menu to News & Offers

Price List
  • Impossible to read an image. Especially on mobile. People want to read the details. You need to sell it to them.

• Also, I'm confused. The domain on there says beautiquespa.co.uk? That isn't the website address and when you type it in, it goes nowhere so this is very confusing for users.

Bookings
  • I don't think people will sign up without seeing your availability first. That's normally the end of the online booking process.

Shop
  • Same as above. I'm not even sure why you'd need to sign up first to shop or what you're selling online? Are you selling anything online?

More
  • When you hover over 'more' on the computer, you can't even read the options as the pink is on a white background. Here is a screenshot - https://d.pr/i/IFJN26

• You've hidden one of the most important pages - contact - under here. Because of this, I have no idea where you're located!

• FAQ's /Testimonials should be separate pages and the FAQ's should be more prominent.

Some general points
  • Get some real quality photos of your premises inside and out. If you can't afford a photographer (even a student one) use a half decent camera (not a phone) and get some taken. A family member may perhaps have one you can borrow?

• Having a mobile number I'd presume you were solo and mobile. I didn't realise you were a high street location. I think a landline would be beneficial.

• Using the .com domain isn't popular in the UK. It's commonly used more internationally - mainly the USA. Nothing wrong with owning it but I'd buy the .co.uk and redirect the .com to that one and set up your emails on the .co.uk and do everything with that domain

• The mobile experience is very weird with missing bits and pieces and to be honest, nowadays expect mobile traffic to be between 50-70% of your total traffic so it's super important to get right :)

• A BIG word of caution. The word 'Beautique' is a UK registered trademark and MANY professionals, even some on this forum as recent as a couple of years ago, all received cease and desists to stop using the name and all these people had to change their whole brands at a moments notice and they weren't shy about being prepared to sue and take them to court as they're backed by an owner who has the money to defend their trademark (rightly so). Something to consider as it really is a big deal. A lot of people thinking 'they won't worry about little ol' me, just a mobile beauty therapist' were definitely mistaken. Every few years they do a big clean up and target every company they can find using the word, especially in this sector.
I hope some of that is helpful and will help you make improvements :) If you'd like me to clarify anything, please ask.

Wow! This is incredibly thorough!! Thank you so much I will start to work my way through it all now.

Thank you so much, I have changed most of it. I do have a landline for the business but it took so long for virgin to sort it out that I had to use my mobile on all my stationery in the meantime. I will get round to changing it though. I have the salon pictures and will be uploading them soon.

Best bit of help I have had so far. I'm truly grateful for all of it.

Let me know what you think once you have time

Best wishes,
Christina

Hi Beautique spa

Looks great. BannerPenguin knows what he’s talking about so definitely worth taking that on board.

Good luck!

I went to write a reply but I think BP has covered it.
Just my initial thoughts. It looks very busy. I would keep the address maybe at the bottom. Links aren’t working, so clicking on “find out more” for treatments didn’t take me anywhere.

Good luck with it. I also found your online booking a little confusing. It’s not easy to navigate. Please do have a look at what else is out there - we use Ovatu. Only £15 pm for a sole therapist. About 80-80% of our bookings are online. It’s great because when it works well, you can just direct people there.

Vic x

I went to write a reply but I think BP has covered it.
Just my initial thoughts. It looks very busy. I would keep the address maybe at the bottom. Links aren’t working, so clicking on “find out more” for treatments didn’t take me anywhere.

Good luck with it. I also found your online booking a little confusing. It’s not easy to navigate. Please do have a look at what else is out there - we use Ovatu. Only £15 pm for a sole therapist. About 80-80% of our bookings are online. It’s great because when it works well, you can just direct people there.

Vic x

Hey thanks,
The booking system is unfortunately wix own one and I've already paid for the year subscription up front so am stuck with it for now but I will have a look through the web builder to see if there is any way to streamline it more xx

I just checked the find out more and it works fine on desktop but does nothing on mobile. I have no idea why either, it shows on mobile that it is linked to bookings too. Will keep looking in to it. Thanks for the heads up xx

hey,

Home page: Personally i would have the picture banner and the "treat yourself" text the other way around i think its more eye catching. Also on your pricing i would have each category set on a different page so your text can be bigger and you could add some images. x

Latest posts

Back