Consultation Forms Lost a Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharong

Reaction score
I had a new client in today for a luxury pedicure. On arrival I asked her to complete a personal details form which I also ask on any medical conditions such as asthma, exzema, diabetic, arthritis, pregnancy along with any medications and allergies.

When she got to this part of the form she told me she wasnt happy to answer these questions as she was only having a pedicure. I advised her that the form is for insurance purposes and enables me to ensure that the products and treatments she received doesnt interfere with any known conditions or allergies.
She had a go at me and said that this was a load of old rubbish and that she usually has a pedicure done down the road every 6 weeks and has never been asked such personal questions and still refused to complete. I suggested that I would put a note on the form indicating this but could she still sign the form to confirm her consent. She refused this and had another go at me saying this was stupid and that hairdressers never ask these questions when they are dying your hair and that i can forget it and she walked out. I didnt get a word in at all to explain anything like using cuticle oils with nut oil in, if she had arthritis then this would affect the massage and if she was diabetic she wouldnt be able to have the footspa on etc etc.

Im new to the industry and during training was advised that this information should be sort after at the first consultation so you are aware for treatments carrying out and also to ensure your insurance is valid.
Have I been misled as it seems to make sense to me that these are important questions and whilst I can understand they might be personal I wouldnt want to have treatment done on myself without them asking me a few questions as it shows concern and professionalism in wanting to ensure I get the best out of the treatment.

I know several local nail salons around the area and have had a few of their clients pop in and they had advised me that they never got asked anything like this before or to sign a form. But have been happy to do so for me.

I would be grateful if anybody could advise me on whether this is the correct procedure and whether you follow this or am I being over cautious and too
personal.

Appreciated as always

Sad Sharon

sharong said:
I had a new client in today for a luxury pedicure. On arrival I asked her to complete a personal details form which I also ask on any medical conditions such as asthma, exzema, diabetic, arthritis, pregnancy along with any medications and allergies.

When she got to this part of the form she told me she wasnt happy to answer these questions as she was only having a pedicure. I advised her that the form is for insurance purposes and enables me to ensure that the products and treatments she received doesnt interfere with any known conditions or allergies.
She had a go at me and said that this was a load of old rubbish and that she usually has a pedicure done down the road every 6 weeks and has never been asked such personal questions and still refused to complete. I suggested that I would put a note on the form indicating this but could she still sign the form to confirm her consent. She refused this and had another go at me saying this was stupid and that hairdressers never ask these questions when they are dying your hair and that i can forget it and she walked out. I didnt get a word in at all to explain anything like using cuticle oils with nut oil in, if she had arthritis then this would affect the massage and if she was diabetic she wouldnt be able to have the footspa on etc etc.

Im new to the industry and during training was advised that this information should be sort after at the first consultation so you are aware for treatments carrying out and also to ensure your insurance is valid.
Have I been misled as it seems to make sense to me that these are important questions and whilst I can understand they might be personal I wouldnt want to have treatment done on myself without them asking me a few questions as it shows concern and professionalism in wanting to ensure I get the best out of the treatment.

I know several local nail salons around the area and have had a few of their clients pop in and they had advised me that they never got asked anything like this before or to sign a form. But have been happy to do so for me.

I would be grateful if anybody could advise me on whether this is the correct procedure and whether you follow this or am I being over cautious and too
personal.

Appreciated as always

Sad Sharon

No hun - you are bang on...If she wouldn't divuldge information which is crucial to whether or not you can perform a treatment then you refuse to treat..

If she choses to go down the road where they dont treat this with the importance it requires then dont worry let them get sued by her when she has a contra-action or similar ...

So dont be sad be proud that you are a true professional...

PS I meant to say it is legal requirement if you are working on someones body - plus I bet your insurance stipulate this so that would be invalid to..

if you had of carried on as per the clients wishes..

You did absolutely nothing wrong hunny! Sounds to me like she had something to hide! If you didnt ask these questions and something happened the insurers would be down on you like a ton of bricks. Hold your head up high and think to yourself that clients like that you really dont need. The other salons that dont ask these questions are in the wrong, not you :)

Hi Sharon, fortunately for me i havent come across this as yet and my clients seem rather impressed when i ask them the questions. i do know however that locally to me there are plenty of places that do not ask any questions at all and i personally have been to a number of salons that do not incorporate this action, but as everyone has said you are in the right, and its her loss not yours, you had her health in mind and unfortunately she didnt appreciate it, try not to let it affect you too much x x x

You have shown you are a professional well done, the customer should realise that we need to know health questions ie diabetic clients ect as these can cause problems with mani/pedi and have to take extra care around cuticles also for artheritis better not to massage joints, ............so as I said spot on.
I allways fill one in and would act the same as you.

Take care Dawnie xx

If she was rude enough to have a go at you then you're better off without her. If she had've signed the form in the end I bet she would've been a right nightmare. I'd call it a lucky escape. & I bet her feet were manky too! LOL!!

Hi Sharon!

So sorry to hear you lost a client.when i did
my training we were told to have record cards and to re-cord persanal details etc on it.You did well!

there are people who make aliving out of going to un professional places and sueing them for anything and everything, so dont fret pet. You cant win em all.

Hi Sharon

Clients like that, you can do without !

Don't beat yourself up about it. What you did was truly proffessional and at the end of the day you were looking out for your business & it's reputation.

Well done !!

Sassy x

hi

i have to use record cards for my insurance but i have been to alot of salons around essex and not once filled out one
how do all these salons get away with it and wat about their insurance???

Hi Sharon

Good thread hun !!

Sorry to hear you had to go through this, but on a postive note you are helping me and others, im sure, to feel more confident if also placed in this situation

Plus like the other girls have said is she really the type of client that you want ? Shes lost out BIG TIME

keep your chin up !

kx

Well Sharon don't worry yourself about losing that sort of client. Your reputation is intact and because of this in the long term you will have clients banging on your door.

Even if the woman bad mouths you.... it won't make a difference. You've done the right thing. After all... its not just ourselves we're thinking of here but the clients welfare and if people don't want to accept that then thats their problem!

You did the right thing, don't let it upset you. This is what's gonna happen occasionally - difficult customers.

At the end of the day you are protecting yourself and also the customer's health.

You were right to suggest you write her comments down on the form and get her to sign it, you must cover yourself if there is any comeback later on.

Put it down to experience. If she wants to have them done down the road and risk her health etc that's up to her, serve her right if something goes wrong.

Can't understand the other salons not doing this as a matter of course, they will come a cropper one day.

Everything you do on someone requires a consultation form. Yes some of the customers get pee'd off keep filling forms in, but it only takes a few minutes.

Deb379

Just a thought, why not add a little note on the bottom of the client card............

This record card is a legal Health and Saftey requirement.
All information is kept confidential and will not be used by third parties.
No treatment will be undertaken without this legal requirement and insurances and claims will be void.

Just a thought XXXX

Thanks for all your replies.

When something like this happens you doubt yourself and wonder if you are following correct procedure. It has really helped me to hear your comments and made me realise that I shouldnt doubt myself so much and that I am a professional.

Id be totally lost without this site.

Thanks again

Smiling Sharon x

I probably cant spell it even, but she may have been dislexic you'd be suprised how many are. they often to get very defensive when put on the spot to read something, she probably wasnt expecting it and you may have caught her of guard, not your problem though really.

xx

hi hun, i wouldnt let it get to you , coz she must go to some right places to have treatments, and as for the hairdresser not doing record cards that just is wrong coz i was a hairdresser and always did record cards, it is something you have to do , my god does she go for her eyelash's tinting without a patch test ? i cant believ there are so many people out there that dont do record cards!!! i would be too scared not to

I agree with everyone, you are better off without her and obviously has something to hide. Any genuine person will be happy to fill out the forms as it is in their best interest. I personally wouldn't do a client anyway if they refused to sign. It is part of your insurance validation that you do this, which mean if you don't you don't have insurance.

You handled it the best you could, especially as she didn't give you time to to explain so you're better off without her.....lucky escape.:D

carly bush said:
I probably cant spell it even, but she may have been dislexic you'd be suprised how many are. they often to get very defensive when put on the spot to read something, she probably wasnt expecting it and you may have caught her of guard, not your problem though really.

xx
Good point Carly, and one we should be aware of.

And Ruth, as always hun, good idea! x

Latest posts

Back