Contact Dermatitis/allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redkenredhead

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a licenced Cosmetologist"30+yrs"
Throughout my career I've had acrylic nails, for the last year I've done my own full sets/fills. Sometimes I'll see my nail tech, have her put a new set on, then I'll do my own fills. I have used all types of Monomers/powders and Never have I had any issues with these chemicals until recently.
So about 2months ago I did my fills and I'm using my new "electric nail file"
That helps me since I'm always dealing with pains/cramping in my hands, I physically can't file my nails without unbearable pain and/or cramping in my hands where they freeze up on me(can't move them)
So a few days later I noticed redness/tenderness and a small amount of my skin around my nails started flaking! This wasn't too bad, pretty minor, so I kinda figured that maybe I got my electric file a little too close to my skin! I'll be careful not to do this next time! I took off that set and gave my hands/nails a break for about a month or so.
Two weeks ago I applied a new set. 2days after the skin right around my nails started itching extreamly bad, I treated with Cortisone, relieved the "irritating" itching. Day 3 I had swelling around a few nails, my thumb on my right hand had the swelling and what looked like a blister near the edge of the nail bed and this whole finger was painful, painfull with everything I would do. You know that pain in your nail that gets worse when you touch the pad of your finger, but it hurts around the nail bed"stinging pains"??
Well I used a sterial Lancet the next day to drain the blister on my thumb"hopefully"eleviating some of the pain! They worked "finally the pain subsided"
I keeped looking back at when I applied this set asking myself " did I hit any part of the skin w/my file? Actually this set came out Amazingly Well, I barely had to file my nails, including using my electric file. The next day was even worse, the skin under my nails started pealing and it wasn't a "light peeling" this was deep into the epidermal layer of skin, treading close to the top of the Dermis! The skin is so sensitive, that when my fingers just barely graze something, I want to jump out of my skin, it brings tears to my eyes every time. This is how I know my skin has peeled down to the top of the dermis. Everyday the skin has peeled more and more and more. The edges get caught on clothing, or things I touch. I'm having to use a mini pair if nail clippers, just to trim the hardened dried skin, that's snagging on everything!
I know I had an Allergic reaction to the Monimor causing "Severe Allergic Contact Dermatitis"
Imagine Type 1 Diabetic, so I'm making sure, my hands are always clean, I'm checking every day, to see if there's any other changes. And using a tone of Working Hands Cream, to keep my hands well moisturized.
I know Nails Techs are the best to help, if they can with treating this sorta thing.
Anyone have any home remedies for treating this, so my fingers "STOP" peeling? This is driving my nuts!! I'm constantly using lotion. When will the relentless peeling stop? I know with my diabetes, I heal slower then most, but going crazy with this. Never in my 30+yr career have I ever had to deal with Contact Dermatitis Allergic Reaction!!
I'll be looking for anyone who can help.
I'll post photos of my nails. Visuals always make things easier! Thanks guys for listening/reading my about my dilemma!View attachment 211717View attachment 211718View attachment 211719View attachment 211717View attachment 211718View attachment 211719View attachment 211720

You need to see a doctor and get a referral allergy testing ASAP.

As to healing, with your diabetes history I'd be following a doctors advice. Short term an antihistamine should alleviate the itching.

Sorry but that sounds like a classic example of an allergy to some form of acrylates.

Allergies get worse on each subsequent exposure so remove all the product from your nails and wait until you have had the results of allergy testing before re-applying any products as you are clearly allergic to something and I’m guessing it’s not the monomer.

My symptoms started with itchy fingertips and when it started to affect my breathing I accepted that working with nail enhancement products was no longer viable for me.

You need to see a doctor and get a referral allergy testing ASAP.

As to healing, with your diabetes history I'd be following a doctors advice. Short term an antihistamine should alleviate the itching.
Thank you, I did make an Appt with my Dr. I see her tomorrow. I figured that I what I need to do. I also was wondering if any of the nail Techs have seen this before?

Sorry but that sounds like a classic example of an allergy to some form of acrylates.

Allergies get worse on each subsequent exposure so remove all the product from your nails and wait until you have had the results of allergy testing before re-applying any products as you are clearly allergic to something and I’m guessing it’s not the monomer.

My symptoms started with itchy fingertips and when it started to affect my breathing I accepted that working with nail enhancement products was no longer viable for me.
OMG!
So even though I've already been exposed to the allergy, I need to take the acrylics I have on off? Is it alright to use acetone, like I have
always used to remove these?

Thank you, I did make an Appt with my Dr. I see her tomorrow. I figured that I what I need to do. I also was wondering if any of the nail Techs have seen this before?

I think every nail tech has seen this type of allergic reaction, not necessarily on our clients but certainly on here and other sites. It's the classic symptoms. We won't make any suggestions other than to seek medical advice, we are not doctors and should never diagnose.

Deffo an acrylate allergy I would say!
I’m recently become allergic to acrylic and gel 😩 xx

Latest posts

Back