Contact dermatitis, can someone explain to me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
I've had the odd itch on my hands, then inbetween my fingers got a bit dry.
I now wear gloves.

But on my self i had some sculpting gel and gelish, didn't get any problems, had it on for 10 days, removed it yesterday and applied vitagel (first time I've used vitagel) and gelish only.

But today i've noticed around my nails, side walls and ephynic -thingy (you know what i mean lol), it's red and looks a tad raised.

So my question is even if the gelish on my nails is cured can it still irritate me 24hrs later?

Hey! If you think you have been getting signs of contact dermatitis then it's possibly that continuing, I'm not sure how long after exposure to the irritant the symptoms can last or indeed occur but I'd imagine as with any allergy it could be a time after, is the inflamed area itchy? Sometimes the eponychuim area and side walls can look a bit red and annoyed after cuticle work?! Especially particularly vigorous work ;-) if you think you are suffering with dermatitis best to seek the advise of your gp now rather than wait for it to develop further xxx

Maybe it's an allergy my mum did acrylics and gels for years then started with an itch in between fingers etc and spread everywhere, we found outit was an allergy to something in the product so she had to stop and when I trained in gelish I tried on her and she was allergic to that too unfortunately :(

It's deffo the beginnings of an allergy :(

So,

1: if allergic to gelish are you allergic to all gels?

2: once you've taken the gel off how long does it take the symptoms (redness etc) to go away?

3:Once gel on the nail is cured does it still keep on irritating you whilst you have it on?

4: Is Brisa lite smoothing and sculpting gel hypo-allergenic?

Or could it be the nourishing remover, gelish cleanse or the d-solve that I'm using? can a doc do a test to see which ingredient is giving me problems?

Feeling down now :(

It's deffo the beginnings of an allergy :(

So,

1: if allergic to gelish are you allergic to all gels?

2: once you've taken the gel off how long does it take the symptoms (redness etc) to go away?

3:Once gel on the nail is cured does it still keep on irritating you whilst you have it on?

4: Is Brisa lite smoothing and sculpting gel hypo-allergenic?

Or could it be the nourishing remover, gelish cleanse or the d-solve that I'm using? can a doc do a test to see which ingredient is giving me problems?

Feeling down now :(

Bless your heart, it could be any of things you mentioned (not sure about the test) so it is a case of getting to the root cause of the problem. If it is a component in gelish then it's likely that is found in other products, but there may be ways round this. It wouldn't be the best idea to try any new products if you are becoming allergic from over exposure, first thing to look at would be your working methods, wearing gloves when using the products you suspect are causing the irritation, emollient etc from doctor, and not using those products on your own nails. That's my understanding, sure the experienced members will have some advice 😘😘😘

Oh and I can't see it being on your nail after applying being a problem, it's the contact with skin that causes the problem I believe, if the allergy develops then the reaction will become more serious so best to not reapply to try and narrow down the irritant 😘😘

Oh and I can't see it being on your nail after applying being a problem, it's the contact with skin that causes the problem I believe, if the allergy develops then the reaction will become more serious so best to not reapply to try and narrow down the irritant 😘😘

Do you know what? I've been thinking about this, i did some search, read a few other posts.

When applying it on myself (not much happens when i apply gelish on other people as i wear gloves, mind u now and then i forget but im getting better), anyway putting gelish on myself I'm very careful now to not get any on the skin, the odd occasion i may, but thats getting very rare now as I'm better at it. But as all of my fingers were red around the side walls and ephyniciuom I'm thinking it could be the D-sperse or the gelish cleanse i use to clean the nail plate and wipe of the inhibition layer?... maybe.

Do you know what? I've been thinking about this, i did some search, read a few other posts.

When applying it on myself (not much happens when i apply gelish on other people as i wear gloves, mind u now and then i forget but im getting better), anyway putting gelish on myself I'm very careful now to not get any on the skin, the odd occasion i may, but thats getting very rare now as I'm better at it. But as all of my fingers were red around the side walls and ephyniciuom I'm thinking it could be the D-sperse or the gelish cleanse i use to clean the nail plate and wipe of the inhibition layer?... maybe.

It could be those products indeed, maybe try a glove when cleansing your own nails? Also make that visit to the gp an emollient/steriod/barrier might help

It could be those products indeed, maybe try a glove when cleansing your own nails? Also make that visit to the gp an emollient/steriod/barrier might help

but how do I use the cleanser I need to apply it to my nail plate but some is going to get on my surrounding skin no matter what I do? :(

but how do I use the cleanser I need to apply it to my nail plate but some is going to get on my surrounding skin no matter what I do? :(

True! Duh me! Barrier cream skin? Really the best thing would be to not use it on yourself at all. See what happens if you take the exposure away completely

Have you tried scrubfresh hun? Ingredients are slightly different xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you tried scrubfresh hun? Ingredients are slightly different xxx

No I've not, ill look into that, ta glamour xxx
what's in scrubbers? gelish cleanse has acetone and iso alcohol and d-sperse has iso alcohol and summit else

lool scrubbers, i mean scrub fresh , stupid phone!

I will get my bottle in the morning with ingredients.

There is a thread on here somewhere that lists the ingredients for cleanser and scrubfresh if you want to take a look in the meantime lol might be like looking for a needle in a haystack though haha xxx

Just to cut down exposure, if it is the cleanse you are allergic to, you could use a " no wipe " top coat.

Or
Always wipe downwards towards the free edge, not side to side, as you are getting the inhibition layer which is uncurred gel onto the skin

Scrub fresh is acetone, isopropyl Alcohol, butyl acetate, blue 1

(Read from the bottle)

Gelish cleanse is isopropyl alcohol, acetone, ethyl acetate.

I've been there. My best advice would be to go straight to CND products only, at least for yourself. I can tolerate Brisa Gel and Shellac very well. Do everything the CND way including the light. You should be ok.

I've been there. My best advice would be to go straight to CND products only, at least for yourself. I can tolerate Brisa Gel and Shellac very well. Do everything the CND way including the light. You should be ok.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of u No, cos I remembered you couldn't use gelish anymore, I felt really sorry for you.
Do u still use gelish on your clients?

Just to cut down exposure, if it is the cleanse you are allergic to, you could use a " no wipe " top coat.

Or
Always wipe downwards towards the free edge, not side to side, as you are getting the inhibition layer which is uncurred gel onto the skin

silly as it may seam I didn't realise that sticky layer was uncured , I know its not hardend but I thought after being in the light all of the product on the nail would be classed as "cured", :(

thanks for the info

silly as it may seam I didn't realise that sticky layer was uncured , I know its not hardend but I thought after being in the light all of the product on the nail would be classed as "cured", :(

thanks for the info

The oxygen in the air is what stops the surface of thr top layer curing hense the sticky top layer is highly allergenic & is often what makes people become sensitive to the gel

Latest posts

Back