contagious? fungal infections

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach.rua

Reaction score
Hiya.

Before i start i just want to say i'm not knocking anyone, i love Creative, but i'm really confused because when i was doing my training with them, i was definately told that fungal infections were definately not contagious and definately not a contraindication for a pedicure. Other girls i work with in the salon disagree with me so i googled it and it seems they are contagious and can spread as easily as using a nail file. Fungal infections are sooooo common, so if this is true, this now worries me as the files are not being thrown out after use, the pedi bath isn't disinfected after use its just rinsed, the utencils are put back into barbicide but i don't really think it's changed often enough. And another thing while i'm onthe subject of feet, i was also told in order to prevent ingrown toenails you cut the corners of the toenail at 45 degree angle and then straight across the top. Another therapist has also disagreed with me on this. So it leaves me a bit embarressed when i'm telling a client one thing and someone else is telling them another! :grr: Please set me straight if you know for certain.

Thanks a million in advance for any info.

Rachel. x

it worries me that the other girls in the salon say it is contagious, yet are not stringent with theri sanitising and sterilising?
Fungal infections such as athletes foot would to me be a no no, as you are in constant contact with them, but minor nail infections could still be trated, as long as you do

a)throw away nail file
b) ensure pedi bowl is sanitised after use- or use some sterilising tablets in it (if your concerned, you could sanitise it yourself before use aswell)
C) wipe over all sterilisable implements with surgical spirit before putting in barbicide solution.ensure barbicide is changed regularly.

as long as you are doing everything possible to ensure a hygienic treatment, hopefully others will follow your example.

I cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrowing toenail, as teh free edge is away from teh nail wall.if you cut at an angle, you may have a shorter peice of free edge that is able to penetrate.HTHs:)

You misunderstood I'm afraid.

No Creative ambassador would ever tell you that fungal infections are not contagious and they are listed as a contra indication in all the Creative class notes and material for both manicure and pedicure.

I think you are getting confused between fungal and bacterial infections (greenies).
A Bacterial infection of this simple type is not contagious and is not a contra indication to manicure or pedicure.

You are however right to be concerned about proper sanitation if they are not doing it. However fungal infections are not as common as you might think (on hands) but are more common on feet.

You misunderstood I'm afraid.

No Creative ambassador would ever tell you that fungal infections are not contageous and they are listed as a contra indication in all the Creative class notes and material for both manicure and pedicure.
Have to agree with Gigi, I cannot believe a Creative ambassador told you that, its basic knowledge and one of the first things we are taught.

With regards to cutting toenails, a chiropodist told me that you cut all the toe nails straight across except for the big toe which you soften the corners of to avoid ingrowing toenails.

Hiya.

Before i start i just want to say i'm not knocking anyone, i love Creative, but i'm really confused because when i was doing my training with them, i was definately told that fungal infections were definately not contagious and definately not a contraindication for a pedicure. Other girls i work with in the salon disagree with me so i googled it and it seems they are contagious and can spread as easily as using a nail file. Fungal infections are sooooo common, so if this is true, this now worries me as the files are not being thrown out after use, the pedi bath isn't disinfected after use its just rinsed, the utencils are put back into barbicide but i don't really think it's changed often enough. And another thing while i'm onthe subject of feet, i was also told in order to prevent ingrown toenails you cut the corners of the toenail at 45 degree angle and then straight across the top. Another therapist has also disagreed with me on this. So it leaves me a bit embarressed when i'm telling a client one thing and someone else is telling them another! :grr: Please set me straight if you know for certain.

Thanks a million in advance for any info.

Rachel. x

Agree with the others...but the highlighted concerns me!!!! big time!!!

Pedi bowls i believe must be disinfected after every client!!

All tools must be washed in soapy water before being put in the barbacide!!!

Files either thrown away after every client or sprayed with chlori-spay!!

If you are worried about these things which i would be also i would approach whoever is in charge and bring it to their attention...

good luck hun xx

Latest posts

Back