Contagious illnesses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
Aw I've had it up to here this week!

Client comes in at 2 (not my client) with a child with chicken pox... Not even fully scabbed over chicken pox too...

I'm not busy so I sat at the nail table with the child to eat my dinner (very quiet in the salon at that time I wouldn't normally eat there just thought I'd keep the kid company while mum got her hair done) so I'm looking at her across the table and thinking ew their pretty bad... Asks the mum is it contagious (now being a mum of 3 I should know this but don't... I'm tired as it is my brains not working well this week) she shrugs her shoulders.... Said child is staring at my with a look of concentration and I realise she's scratching very hard her private parts (God give me strength) I've gone off my food at this point and tell the mum what she's doing.... Mum shrugs and says yea their really bad down there... I breathe deeply and throw my lunch in the bin.... Mums appt is nearly done so I'm sneakily going round anti bacing everything she's touched, every time I turn around tho this kid is on my heel! I tell her to go ask mummy if she'd like a cuppa & the child breaks down in tears and is hanging on my leg begging for a cuddle! Instinct takes over and I pick her up and hug her while taking her to her mum (who didn't give a hoot that a stranger is caring for her sick child I'd just like to add!)

Panic mode then kicks in... I touched the child... The child's been touching God knows where... And I've touched the child...

I wanted to rip my clothes off and bath in antibac there and then! Then my client walks in with a child... I took them over the other side and quickly got them out but I feel like I've put my clients child at risk now :(

Could I or anyone else in the salon today have caught it? Am I supposed to report this to anyone?
I'm freaking out about it a bit tbh because when I googled it it said an infectious child shouldn't be taken to public places :( I diddnt even hug my kids tonight till after I'd showered :( I've never dealt with anything like this in the salon before

I'm going in at 8 tommorow to bleach the place :(

Oh no I'm stressing just by reading this! Hope you don't catch anything x

Deep breath. I'm feeling the anxiety in your post lol.

Have you ever had chicken pox? If you have then you should be fine xx

I know lol deep breath haha, it's all I've gone on about since I got in from work, yea I had it as a child and have never had it since but my children have each had it 3 times, I'm so worried they'll catch it now :( and that poor little one I had in afterwards too, I don't even have her mums number to talk to her about it, not that it can be prevented now but still :( does it need to go on log anywhere like in the accident book or anything? I'm trying to remember the riddor laws but my brains too tired

I've no answers I'm afraid but just wanted to give you a big hug as you sound so stressed (and you had a shower so you can't pass it on to me [emoji12][emoji33][emoji4]) xx

Once they're scabby they aren't infectious before then they are. And I'm pretty sure they're highly contagious.

It's best to keep chicken pox-y kids away from any people until spots pretty much disappear.

Chicken pox are very serious for pregnant ladies and old people I think.

Apparently catching as adults is pretty grim. Like flu, you can't move etc etc.

The problem with chicken pox is that even if you've had them as a kid, they can cause shingles.

But I don't know how long the virus can/would live on a surface.

I've no answers I'm afraid but just wanted to give you a big hug as you sound so stressed (and you had a shower so you can't pass it on to me [emoji12][emoji33][emoji4]) xx
Pmsl thank you dear :) hug gratefully accepted ;) x

Once they're scabby they aren't infectious before then they are. And I'm pretty sure they're highly contagious.

It's best to keep chicken pox-y kids away from any people until spots pretty much disappear.

Chicken pox are very serious for pregnant ladies and old people I think.

Apparently catching as adults is pretty grim. Like flu, you can't move etc etc.

The problem with chicken pox is that even if you've had them as a kid, they can cause shingles.

But I don't know how long the virus can/would live on a surface.
Aw imagine January 2016 with shingles! I'm so itchy :(

Hugs!! (Unless you are now infected, in which case I take it back :) xx ) We had lice in the salon today. I am also grossed out and itchy lol
Anyway, you aren't required to report anything under RIDDOR, I looked at my fact sheet for you. Even if you or an employee contracts Chicken Pox or Shingles as a result, it it wasn't caused by your work.
I hope you and your children have a lucky escape x

Hugs!! (Unless you are now infected, in which case I take it back :) xx ) We had lice in the salon today. I am also grossed out and itchy lol
Anyway, you aren't required to report anything under RIDDOR, I looked at my fact sheet for you. Even if you or an employee contracts Chicken Pox or Shingles as a result, it it wasn't caused by your work.
I hope you and your children have a lucky escape x
Ah great thank you! Aw I feel a little less stressed now knowing that, I think nits is just as bad tho! We're Just going to have to be as heathy as poss over Xmas now incase we do get unwell, some parents beggar belief honestly! They seem to have no regard for other people

Apparently someone is most contagious two weeks before the spots actually appear !!! That was said by a nurse I know , I know how you feel I'm awful when people even mention the word nits [emoji37][emoji37]

I'm 22 and my client gave me chicken pox in May, thought it was good that I hadn't had them at 21, she was 85 and had never had them [emoji23] she didn't know she had them at the time as no spots but exactly 3 weeks after I saw her I became ill then the next day came out in the first spots! It will take a while for you to know but you may have if you have never had them xx

Ps: mines weren't bad although they say they can be worse in an adult I was just bored and fed up being off work!

Poor you Kahuna. What a crappy day!

Selfish parents really annoy me. If the contagious child comes into contact with someone with a compromised immune system, it can be very serious for them.
But as long as mum gets her hair done for Christmas, bugger everyone else.

I bleached the whole place this morning lol I felt better then, I took my daughter in with me today too she had to stand like a statue till I was done, she found it quite hilarious that I was wiping the chair before she could sit on it lol!

Chicken pox is contagious 2 weeks before any spots show so it is passed on unknowingly (quite a sneaky illness really if you think about it, making you contagious before you even know your ill).
If you are going to be affected it will be in 2 weeks time BUT you will have been contagious the whole time.
You can't panic about it now, you have cleaned as best you can and just have to hope that nothing more comes of it.
HUGS.

Here's hoping lol, I'm definatley running a temperature today tho, I was sure the breeze in cardiff today was like a summer breeze it felt so warm! Everyone else was shivering and complaining how cold it was!

Another consideration here is the risk to an unborn baby should the child come into contact with a pregnant woman. It might even be a client who didn't know she was even pregnant. So the selfish woman knowingly carting round her infectious daughter should be ashamed of herself.
There are risks for mum, the unborn baby and for new babies. See below

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1451291818.041606.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1451291830.560072.jpg

Chicken pox is airborn so if anyone in the salon hasn't had chicken pox they can catch it. My husband was in my sisters house with my niece who had chicken pox for 5mins and she was upstairs and he caught it xx

Latest posts

Back