Contaminated Brush cause of bacterial infection??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avril

Reaction score
Is there any chance that my brush could be the cause of my client getting a "greenie" ?
I have for the last few hours almost read everything in sight on this really really fantastic site about bacterial infections and contaminated brushes
but I am still a bit concerned and want to do "process of elimination" ...
so to speak.
Basically a client has got a greenie on one finger about two weeks back and I followed the prescribed procedure. The client has now called me up again to say that she fell against the garage and bashed her finger and that finger has now got a greenie. I am going to see her tonight to sort it out and I would like to put it down to her bashing her finger but she did have this problem with another finger?
Additionally, a hairdresser client had to have her enhancements taken off in the last few weeks because she was repeatly getting lifting and greenies. I tried her on gel too but it didn't make any difference. She has got a very small nail base and does suffer from excema.
Previous to that I only had one other client who got greenies, one after the other so I had to take off her enhancements.
I am meticiulous about my prep, so I am just wonder if it could be my brush because it does have yellow staining coming off it at the top when I wipe my brush but not at the brissles so I have carried on using it, (I have gone through so many brushes recently)!!!
I would appreciate your input on this as I am extremely embarrassed and begining to question my standards and work!!!

Concerned...Avril x

(Ps:- been nail technician since 1997 part-time and now full time in salon since september last year, only use Creative, got my masters 1998, regarlarly re-train ...BUT something is going very wrong at the moment!!!)
Pss: Sorry for calling them greenies but it easier to type that Bacterial Infection!

Hi

imo the lady who fell and cracked her nail has prob had her hands where she shouldnt have with no gloves. Bacteria breeds so fast make sure you dispose of your files after treating your client. Once you have removed the enhancement and the oxygen gets to the nail you should use your scub fresh and all should be well although she will maybe have a stain. If your client is very worried i would leave the enhancement off for a few days.

Thank you Tracy for your advice and that is what I normally do, I was just concerned that these greenies seem to be popping up more frequently?

Rgs Avril

Hi avril

i know the nail geek did an article on "greenies" and i have had a look but i carnt find it for you. Sometimes we are unlucky but dont blame yourself these things happen. If you are using good hygene standards then you are not to blame. Make sure you dont have any pocket lifting as this is where your bacteria will breed. HTH pm sam and ask him to send you the article.

Thanks again, I did read up and print off all Samuels information on bacterial infections and all the contributions from readers which really is exceptional and such a great great help!!

Just come back from seeing the client. It was green alright but it wasn't as dark and hadn't spread so far, so I think we got to it on time.
I asked the client lots of questions and showed her pictures from The Encyclopedia of Nails (J.Jefford & A.Swain) and my prints out from this site. The two fingers (same hand)that had the green are the two fingers she uses to hold her cigarettes, she does smoke alot!! Also she said she did have her fingers in her mouth alot and she bits them!! Yes ..I know what you are thinking..!! So I will monitor her nails and keep my cool!!

Rgs & thanks Avril x

Hi avril

I am glad your mind is at rest. I think that sometimes we are too quick to think that we are at fault and not our angelic clients!
Hope all goes well.

avril said:
Is there any chance that my brush could be the cause of my client getting a "greenie" ?
I have for the last few hours almost read everything in sight on this really really fantastic site about bacterial infections and contaminated brushes
but I am still a bit concerned and want to do "process of elimination" ...
so to speak.
Basically a client has got a greenie on one finger about two weeks back and I followed the prescribed procedure. The client has now called me up again to say that she fell against the garage and bashed her finger and that finger has now got a greenie. I am going to see her tonight to sort it out and I would like to put it down to her bashing her finger but she did have this problem with another finger?
Additionally, a hairdresser client had to have her enhancements taken off in the last few weeks because she was repeatly getting lifting and greenies. I tried her on gel too but it didn't make any difference. She has got a very small nail base and does suffer from excema.
Previous to that I only had one other client who got greenies, one after the other so I had to take off her enhancements.
I am meticiulous about my prep, so I am just wonder if it could be my brush because it does have yellow staining coming off it at the top when I wipe my brush but not at the brissles so I have carried on using it, (I have gone through so many brushes recently)!!!
I would appreciate your input on this as I am extremely embarrassed and begining to question my standards and work!!!

Concerned...Avril x

(Ps:- been nail technician since 1997 part-time and now full time in salon since september last year, only use Creative, got my masters 1998, regarlarly re-train ...BUT something is going very wrong at the moment!!!)
Pss: Sorry for calling them greenies but it easier to type that Bacterial Infection!
This subject is a near and dear to one to me, and I almost feel like an expert on this because I had to have some state regulations changed. ( Idaho, USA) Monomer cannot support bacterial life. There is no food or water in monomer for bacteria to grow. Your brush bristles are completely encased by a thin layer of monomer, and if it gets contaminated, the typical result is a yellowed acrylic. In more severe cases of contamination it leads to service break down, as the monomers cannot join together and polymerise. So your brush can't give any one the dreaded "greenies" only moisture trapped between the artificial overlay and the natural nail can.

Some things to try to avoid bacterial infections are: use waterless hand sanitizer, if you are using Creative Nail use Scrub Fresh to eliminate oil and contaminates from the nail plate, each manufacturer has some thing in their line to sanitise the nail plate, and give your clients a detailed home care list. Make sure that they are not glueing at home. This is a major cause of bacterial infections.

So rest at ease, my info comes from the best scientists in the business, Doug Schoon CND and Paul Bryson OPI, who were very supportive in my fight with our state, and prove them selves time and time again to be a valuable resource to our industry

Jeni Giles said:
This subject is a near and dear to one to me, and I almost feel like an expert on this because I had to have some state regulations changed. ( Idaho, USA) Monomer cannot support bacterial life. There is no food or water in monomer for bacteria to grow. Your brush bristles are completely encased by a thin layer of monomer, and if it gets contaminated, the typical result is a yellowed acrylic. In more severe cases of contamination it leads to service break down, as the monomers cannot join together and polymerise. So your brush can't give any one the dreaded "greenies" only moisture trapped between the artificial overlay and the natural nail can.

Some things to try to avoid bacterial infections are: use waterless hand sanitizer, if you are using Creative Nail use Scrub Fresh to eliminate oil and contaminates from the nail plate, each manufacturer has some thing in their line to sanitise the nail plate, and give your clients a detailed home care list. Make sure that they are not glueing at home. This is a major cause of bacterial infections.

So rest at ease, my info comes from the best scientists in the business, Doug Schoon CND and Paul Bryson OPI, who were very supportive in my fight with our state, and prove them selves time and time again to be a valuable resource to our industry

So well put !!!!!!!
Hear hear xxxxx

Jenni Giles, just a quick word of thanks for your information and helpful advice. Rgs, Avril x

avril said:

Concerned...Avril x

I'm bumping this thread up because I'm having issue with our regulating agency AGAIN, and I need your help. Though I have explained very thoroughly that a brush does not need to be sanitized (nor should it ever be sanitized) they still don't get it. Doug Schoon has even tried to explain this to our state board, but alas they think that I may give some one an infection from a contaminated nail brush.

Our inspector asked me to help him reword our current law so that it would be perfectly clear that you should NEVER wash your brush with soap and water then submerse it in disinfectant. This is where you come in... I need some help to write a simple conscise plan for proper care and maintenence of an acrylic brush. I have my manufacturer's directions, but I need a well rounded pool for all possible types of product being used.

I have to give thanks to Doug Schoon, and Paul Bryson, with out them I wouldn't know as much as I do now, but I need to dot every I and cross every t as well as have all my bases covered (as well as my backside, which could get larger from the stress caused by this issue)

Thanks now for all your help!!!

Jeni, I can't help with your request. But I do think you'd get a better response if you started a new thread, it is such a good subject that it deserves one of its own too!

Latest posts

Back