Contra-indication advice - PLEASE HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxX Becky XxX

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to Salon Geek, so I hope I've done this right. The site looks fab!

I really need some advice if anyone can help please? I'm getting a little stressed out!

I'm a newly qualified Beauty Therapist, & I'm starting up my own mobile business. I'm in the middle of putting my consultation forms together for each treatment, but the only problem is I'm a little unsure about contra-indications. I don't mean infectious/contagious ones (e.g. impetigo, conjunctivitis, herpes simplex etc.) I'ts medical conditions such as high or low blood pressure, thyroid problems, client's who've had cancer in the past, dysfunction of nervous system, heart conditions etc. We never covered any of those at college only diabetes & contra-indications you can visibly see, & now I'm really struggling to know when & when I shouldn't treat clients who have a medical condition. Can anyone please give me some more information about conditions that would contra-indicate a certain treatment? Can you do a leg wax on someone with high BP, for example. When should you get GP permission? I've searched the internet but haven't found much. Does anyone know where I can find this out?

I've a lady who has come to me quite a few times for waxing, manicures & pedicures. (I know her really well as she's a friend of the family.) She had breast cancer 8 years ago, & is now ok but has to take medication (as people who've had cancer do). I've asked my tutors if it's ok to treat her & I've been told there should be no problem , but it's my decision. Surley you either can or you can't? Is it ok? Would waxing harm a client who's had cancer, or massage in a manicure & pedicure? Please help! Should I just ask her to get her GP to confirm it's alright? I've seen on other sites that cancer isn't a contra-indication to waxing.

Please help! I'd be so grateful if someone could answer my questions! Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Thanks so much.

Becky
XXX

What level have you qualified in?

I can't begin to comment on all possible CI :eek: but I will help where I can.

Firstly, Thyroid problems, don't give them a second thought they are not contra-indicated for any treatments.

Cancer, if the client is receiving treatment current treatment, such as chemo or radiotherapy, then you should not treat them for anything without the go ahead from their consultant. The variety of medical treatments will affect patients so differently that there is no way you could ever predict how your beauty treatment may effect them. Again, even post treatment they may still have problems which will contra-indicate them so the best thing is to check with their consultant.

High and low blood pressure is something you really need to be aware of when performing body massage as this can lower the BP anyway and leave the client feeling dizzy or nauseous.

dysfunction of the nervous system is important for electrical facials and also waxing as the client may not have good sensation and can therefore not feel pain or heat in the same way.

Again heart conditions will be important for electrical treatments.

Phew!!!:lol: Thats all I can think of now but I'm sure there will be more help from other geeks.:hug:

I am qualified in Beauty Therapy Level 2.

So if a client has had cancer in the past you think I should get GP permission? I've not harmed her in any way do you think by waxing her? She's had a leg wax before? I shall get her to ask her GP, thanks for that.

If a client has high or low BP & it isn't controlled with medication is that when you refer?

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly.

I would've thought that if a client had high or low BP they would be on some medication for it as surely a GP wouldn't not treat for this.

You could however be treating someone with slightly high or low BP and they don't know about it, although if it was severe they would be having some symptoms. Then though you would be referring everyone to their GP to check and clearly this is just not going to happen.

I wouldn't treat anyone with low BP with any heat treatments as this lowers BP further, nor would I massage them with any hypotensive oils, but then if you are only doing beauty treatments you wouldn't be using aromatherapy oils anyway.

I am qualified in Beauty Therapy Level 2.

So if a client has had cancer in the past you think I should get GP permission? I've not harmed her in any way do you think by waxing her? She's had a leg wax before? I shall get her to ask her GP, thanks for that.

If a client has high or low BP & it isn't controlled with medication is that when you refer?

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly.

With cancer there are so many variables that it's hard to give just 1 definitive answer.:irked: For example, my mum had cancer and was treated with radiotherapy, all is good, treatment has ended and she has beaten it (hooray :green:) but the radiotherapy burned her skin and has left her with very scarred and thin skin on her neck. Now obviously she can't have any treatments on that area but waxing her legs would be fine.

Any treatments that she had before the illness/treatment sort of can become irrelevant afterwards.

Can you provide some more information?

BP - when I was training for level 3 I was told that you required GP approval for any Bp issues for electrical treatments. The thing is if someone is aware they have high bp then they are normally on medication anyway, so un-medicated bp normally also means undiagnosed too!

The other thing to remember which is vitally important, is what your insurance provider will or won't cover. They may have specific requirements regarding GP notes and contra-indications, so if in doubt it is always best to refer to them.

Last edited:
She has had her legs waxed after her treatment and it was chemo. I'm glad you're mum is ok now. I'm just going to have to ask her for her doctor's approval aren't I? Then I will know for sure! I'm sooo confused with all this! Sorry if I'm sounding a little silly, it's just stressing me out slightly cause I'm going to be starting up very soon & I wana know if I'm doing everything right. At college we we not made aware of any of this so I'm slightly annoyed.

Would I be ok to write a letter to her GP with her permission? I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Firstly don't feel silly! We all have questions when we first qualify. :hug:

How long ago did she complete her treatment?

And who are you insured with?

Thanks, I'm sorry, I'm just stressing!

Erm, oh gosh, I'm not sure. I asked her is she was ok now and she said she was fine, she just has to take medication for it. She knows I'm feeling unsure about it, but I'm going to ask her if she minds just checking with her GP. I've treated her about 6 times for waxing as I've been told it's ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm insured with ABT, I'm gona have a look at my notes and see what they say. All this is so new to me, I'm feeling a bit anxious. I've always wanted to work for myself, and my mum is going to be on board as she's a complementary therapist, but her treatments are different to mine, so her contra-indication will be aswell.

Last edited:
Hi Becky,

Please don't stress because you are supposed to be relaxed and enjoy giving the treatment. It could be as simple as doing another course before your business is up and running. You should not do any treatment if you are not confident. Do you have insurance. If not then I would think twice about doing treatments on clients and not knowledgable about CI. I hope this is helpful, good luck. :hug:

Give your insurance company a call and ask their advice, that's what you pay them for after all!!

Hi BeBeautiful,

I've got insurance, and I am confident with my treatments, it's just a case of me having so much on my mind at one time! Thanks for your advice, I'm looking to do a massage course at some point so I expect I shall know more then. I've a friend who's in the same position as me (newly qualified and just starting up). All my friends and family I've treated have said how professional I am and how good I am at my job, and I really love it. Thanks again for your advice, I shall phone my insurance company and ask my lady for a letter from her GP.

Quote : {Firstly, Thyroid problems, don't give them a second thought they are not contra-indicated for any treatments.}

Hi I think this is very unwise advice. A client may suffer from hyper or hypo thyroidism and I think it is good to check their history. They will definitely suffer with an affected metabolism and depending on which type they have can have enlarged/overactive heart, rapid irregular pulse, tremors, puffiness, swelling around the eyes etc. They can also suffer from hair loss, dryness, oiliness and skin dullness.

I would be very concerned about doing any electrical treatments especially in the neck area and would get confirmation from their doctor. However I think that some treatments would also be beneficial.

It would be a good idea going over the main contra indications and writing up a chart reminding you what would be suitable for the client. Sometimes it can be the affects of medication that can be as problematic.

Thanks for that advice on the thyroid condition. I'm only qualified in Level 2, so won't be offering any electrical treatments or aromatherapy.

Does anyone know if I can purchase a book from somewhere covering all contra-indications? I've been told city & guilds do one?

Hi

I have to agree with pure. Don't worry about thyroid problems.

If you have someone who knows they have thyroid problems then they will have been diagnosed and will have their symptoms and medication monitored.

I am on a high dose of thyroid medication and it has never been an issue. The symptoms that were mentioned are usually present when the person doesn't know they have a thyroid condition and it is not under control.

Don't worry about thyroid problems. Nothing like waxing is going to have any effect on the person. I have had many treatments done including electrical treatments and facials etc. You have to be careful with essential oils as they can slow you down a bit too much but that is it really.

I once read on here that it was contra indicated for eyelash perming and that is rubbish.

I have treated many people with thyroid problems both under and over active and none of them can see a problem with it.

Thyroid cancer however I would treat as you would for all cancer patients as this is a separate thing altogether.

hth

Lisa

Quote : {Firstly, Thyroid problems, don't give them a second thought they are not contra-indicated for any treatments.}

Hi I think this is very unwise advice. A client may suffer from hyper or hypo thyroidism and I think it is good to check their history. They will definitely suffer with an affected metabolism and depending on which type they have can have enlarged/overactive heart, rapid irregular pulse, tremors, puffiness, swelling around the eyes etc. They can also suffer from hair loss, dryness, oiliness and skin dullness.

I would be very concerned about doing any electrical treatments especially in the neck area and would get confirmation from their doctor. However I think that some treatments would also be beneficial.

It would be a good idea going over the main contra indications and writing up a chart reminding you what would be suitable for the client. Sometimes it can be the affects of medication that can be as problematic.

OK, I have had both an under and over active thyroid and I can assure you that it is NOT a contra-indication for any treatment. The only time it would be a problem is if there is a history of thyroid cancer in which case it would come under the advice I gave for cancer patients.

Hi I have to disagree and perhaps we should agree to disagree! I have a LLLT (low level laser therapy) unit and using this equipment is most definitely contra-indicated in cases of thyroidism. I am not saying that I believe all treatments are contra-indicated but you do have to be careful. It is an autoimmune disorder and people can also be prone to other conditions which we must be aware of. I do not believe it is something that we should totally disregard.:)

Latest posts

Back