Contra-indications in tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesterbaker

Reaction score
Help - I had my spray tan training and no one mentioned skin conditions - aren't they supposed to tell me what type of skin conditions I can and can't spray on - as you can tell I'm new to all this and would really apprecate any advice! The course details did say "Contra-indications and contra-actions" would be covered but nothing was said! :confused:

Also, after reading threads on this site, should I have been told about the different strenghts of tanning lotions ie. 8%, 10% or is that only relevant to certain makes??

Also, I wondered if the tent should have been cleaned down after each pupil had stood on the same spot, in case of athlete's foot and verruca's?? And shouldn't the tent be cleaned before being put back into the bag?

Should I have been told about insurance or do the tutors assume you will glean this information from their website??

Thanks....

I think by the sounds of things that you should speak to the company that trained you and tell then that you are not sure about the things you have mentioned above.

YOu are right that the different strength solutions are only applicable to some companies and not all. I dont want to ask you who the company is as I think that you need to check these areas with them before they are named on here?

If you want to go through what i do please PM me and I will help where I can.

Unfortunately i am not a skin geek, however if a course specifically said that it covered something and that thing was not covered, it is your responsibility to ask as to why it was not covered. You deserve to be taught everything, that the course said you would!! I hope some of the skin geeks on here will be able to help you with your other questions!

hi, it seems your training was not very thorogh as it should have been. I always wipe done my portable tent when I do home visits, after each client. And my salon unit is wiped down as well after each client. I use St. Tropez which is a one strength which means it tans only to one strength. i also use sienna x and that has three strengths the 8% will suit all skin types, especiallly fair skin. The siennax 10% will suit most skin types but it is better to use on people that tans well in the sun. The siennax 12% is not suitable for paler skin types, it is more for olive skins, I find the 10% sells well.

as for insurance I personally use professional beauty direct they can be contacted on 01622 740000 they are a good insurance company that covers you for mobile and salon work.

Contra- indications for the skin_ just look out for anything not supposed to be there, if you see a red rash or anything you are not certain about then just ask the client if they know what it is. at the end of the day you can always tell the client no sorry, get gp clearance first. for example a diabetic could have a spray tan as the solution does not penetrate the skin. spraying clients with eczema can be done but I would advise the client to ask the gp first as the severity of the condition varies. If the gp says yes then do a patch test first on the client and get them to gently exfoliate and moisturise 2-3 times a day to prevent their skin from becoming dry. you should never spray anywhere that has a rash or broken skin. Psoriasis is a chronic inflammation of the skin, often red patches on the skin covered by silvery scales of dead skin. I would not treat someone with this skin condition unless with written permission from the gp as the client would have creams etc that could affect the solution and make the condition worse. Rosacea is a chronic long term disease that affects the skin and sometimes the eyes.again gp referral would be needed.Vitiligo is a pigmentation disorder that has white patches on the skin. I have been in the spray tan business for along while and have not come across these conditions yet.

I hope this information helps you, with any service to the public if you are not certain then please do not treat, get the client to get professional help and written consent before coming back to you. my email address is [email protected] if you want any further info on spray tanning, I dont know everything but if I can help I will. good luck and have fun tanning.:lol::)

I think by the sounds of things that you should speak to the company that trained you and tell then that you are not sure about the things you have mentioned above.

YOu are right that the different strength solutions are only applicable to some companies and not all. I dont want to ask you who the company is as I think that you need to check these areas with them before they are named on here?

If you want to go through what i do please PM me and I will help where I can.
Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I did speak to the company as the whole training didn't go well at all. The compressor was too powerful for the tubing that runs up to the airgun (I wonder now if there was a regulator missing?). The tubing kept popping off the compressor as it seemed unsuitable for this type of compressor. We took turns in holding this on to the compressor and it was just so hot. The tubing was melting in one girl's hands. But because we were holding the tubing on, it was forcing the pressure through the tubing and holes kept appearing along the tube. We then got plasters from the first aid kit and taped over the holes! I was last to use the air gun and I felt rushed whilst doing my tan. The tutor was keen that we all use the airgun, irrespective of what was occuring, and then she handed out certificates to say we had passed our course. I was shocked to say the least. I wish now that I had left early! My tan was just awful the next day and I was so looking forward to showing the tan off and feeling really excited about tanning!

After calling the company the next day, they offered me another course with the same tutor. I said I wasn't at all happy with that because she would do exactly the same as the last time (i.e. not cover all the topics). I realise the problems with the compressor/tubing were not the fault of the trainer but I had hoped these things would be checked before we turned up. And what about the health and safety aspect of all this! And, surely with a reputable company, spare tubings should be to hand, or am I expecting too much from beauty training?? I have run many computer training courses in offices and I check, check and double check everything. I give handouts and lots and lots of advice.

I am quite put off the tanning area now and have told the company I would rather have a refund but she is refusing. What now! I don't see the point of another training course now as they have put me off....:confused::irked:

Dont let it put you off - there are loads of brilliant tanning companies out there with some fab trainers.

Ring around a few of them and explain your situation to them and I am sure they will be more than willing to help.

I'm reluctant to pay another £125 in case it goes wrong again!

I agree dont let it put you of spray tanning, as it does get better honest. you need to buy the right equipment, that suits you, i use the Iwata power jet pro, it is brilliant, I was taught using the airbrush but now use the gun as the airbrush took so long to spray a body. Was you taught with both systems? I read up on spray tanning before my course so i could ask so many questions if it was not covered, which the trainer did not like but I wanted to know as much as possible for the money I paid out for training, i had to travel over 90 miles so I was not leaving there without all the info answered. I also found a site called www.tanprofessional .com forum that is a site like this and very helpful. good luck hope you get the proper training and equipment soon.

I was shown the tanning with the airgun which I agree, takes ages. I would def like to see the airgun in action and will read the site you have posted - thks v much! I did do a lot of reading too before my course, but I lost my sense of everything when things started going wrong! I felt out of my depth and wished now I had stepped up and spoke! I'm not on this site to name and shame any company, I think this site is just brilliant for newbies like me who are trying to get on and learn. It just feels as if easy money was made and I worked so hard to raise the money for that course.....like everyone else.

The compressor was too powerful for the tubing that runs up to the airgun (I wonder now if there was a regulator missing?). The tubing kept popping off the compressor as it seemed unsuitable for this type of compressor. We took turns in holding this on to the compressor and it was just so hot. The tubing was melting in one girl's hands. But because we were holding the tubing on, it was forcing the pressure through the tubing and holes kept appearing along the tube. We then got plasters from the first aid kit and taped over the holes!

I am so sorry to laugh but I nearly choked on my coffee when I read this! You had to put plasters on the hose??? :eek: WTF kind of training is that?? How deplorable!!

If I were you I would write a very stern letter telling them in no uncertain terms that you want a refund. There must be some kind of professional 'body' you can report them to or at least threaten to report them to?

I do Tanning Training for a local Beauty College here in Dublin - I would be lynched if I held a class like the one you experienced. £125 is a lot of money and you expect quality training for that and rightly so. If you give me your email address I'll PM you the document I have for contra indications etc.

I'm dying to know which company it is - pleeeeeease PM me!! :lol:

I do hope you get your money back - were they actually trying to sell the tanning kits like the one that was being used to demonstrate? Can't imagine them getting many sales, can you?

Jackie

£125 is a lot of money for training in tanning...I would like to bet that that included at least some products too? I should hope so anyway. Most tanning companies I've worked with will charge approximately £60/75 for half days training and this should be sufficient time to get through the basics and the info you mentioned quite happily. I know of £25 courses that cover things better than you have described.

Sadly I feel there are some companies nowadways that just see training as a way of reeling you in to buy their products as opposed to actually preparing you with what you need to know out there! Its working out who is like that up front that is tricky, but you quickly get to realise who is who.

A lot of it is plain common sense. Insurance is a must - its only sensible. What would happen if you dropped a bottle of solution on someones brand new expensive carpet....or they had an allergic reaction and decided to sue. Don't forget client record cards too. Don't spray anyone with a skin condition that could be irritated or causes bad dryness, put new couch roll on the floor of the tent before each client and then clean the tent at the end of each day, and the best thing you can do is spend a lot of time reading on here...there is bucket loads of info to be picked up.

Your machine should be compatible with most solutions. What is it? It maybe worth doing a lot of practise and research before investing in your next lot of solution...then is the time to change. I too, like Jackie, would be v interested to know who trained you...I'd certainly be steering clear at that price with that little knowledge imparted.

tbh I'm shocked at the poor standard of your training, I mean poor you having to hold tubing thats hot then having to put plasters on it!
WHATS THAT ABOUT !

How unprofessional of them and what a bad way for you to start! I really feel for you. I love spray tanning so please dont let it put you off.

Have you thought about speaking with trading standards if they wont refund you?

hi chester baker , i have a terrible suspicion (sp) that im going to the same place as u did for my spray tanning course and do not want to go if its like that . is it ok if u pm me ?. i cant figure out how to do it .lol

hi, it seems your training was not very thorogh as it should have been. I always wipe done my portable tent when I do home visits, after each client. And my salon unit is wiped down as well after each client. I use St. Tropez which is a one strength which means it tans only to one strength. i also use sienna x and that has three strengths the 8% will suit all skin types, especiallly fair skin. The siennax 10% will suit most skin types but it is better to use on people that tans well in the sun. The siennax 12% is not suitable for paler skin types, it is more for olive skins, I find the 10% sells well. as for insurance I personally use professional beauty direct they can be contacted on 01622 740000 they are a good insurance company that covers you for mobile and salon work. Contra- indications for the skin_ just look out for anything not supposed to be there, if you see a red rash or anything you are not certain about then just ask the client if they know what it is. at the end of the day you can always tell the client no sorry, get gp clearance first. for example a diabetic could have a spray tan as the solution does not penetrate the skin. spraying clients with eczema can be done but I would advise the client to ask the gp first as the severity of the condition varies. If the gp says yes then do a patch test first on the client and get them to gently exfoliate and moisturise 2-3 times a day to prevent their skin from becoming dry. you should never spray anywhere that has a rash or broken skin. Psoriasis is a chronic inflammation of the skin, often red patches on the skin covered by silvery scales of dead skin. I would not treat someone with this skin condition unless with written permission from the gp as the client would have creams etc that could affect the solution and make the condition worse. Rosacea is a chronic long term disease that affects the skin and sometimes the eyes.again gp referral would be needed.Vitiligo is a pigmentation disorder that has white patches on the skin. I have been in the spray tan business for along while and have not come across these conditions yet. I hope this information helps you, with any service to the public if you are not certain then please do not treat, get the client to get professional help and written consent before coming back to you. my email address is [email protected] if you want any further info on spray tanning, I dont know everything but if I can help I will. good luck and have fun tanning.:lol::)
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this to me and you aren't even getting paid!! Amazing, such kind souls out there....I shall print this off (if I can work that one out - still trying to PM people!) and keep it for reference. I will email you if that's ok - I really appreciate you taking the time to reply too. :)

I am so sorry to laugh but I nearly choked on my coffee when I read this! You had to put plasters on the hose??? :eek: WTF kind of training is that?? How deplorable!!

If I were you I would write a very stern letter telling them in no uncertain terms that you want a refund. There must be some kind of professional 'body' you can report them to or at least threaten to report them to?

I do Tanning Training for a local Beauty College here in Dublin - I would be lynched if I held a class like the one you experienced. £125 is a lot of money and you expect quality training for that and rightly so. If you give me your email address I'll PM you the document I have for contra indications etc.

I'm dying to know which company it is - pleeeeeease PM me!! :lol:

I do hope you get your money back - were they actually trying to sell the tanning kits like the one that was being used to demonstrate? Can't imagine them getting many sales, can you?

Jackie

Hi Jackie - I love Dublin! Yes I thought £125 was a lot too and I really did look around first! If I can work out how to PM you, I will email you as I don't want to get into naming on here - it's just not my style. They didn't even mention tanning kits - and that was another bit of info I was looking to get!!!

£125 is a lot of money for training in tanning...I would like to bet that that included at least some products too? I should hope so anyway. Most tanning companies I've worked with will charge approximately £60/75 for half days training and this should be sufficient time to get through the basics and the info you mentioned quite happily. I know of £25 courses that cover things better than you have described.

Sadly I feel there are some companies nowadways that just see training as a way of reeling you in to buy their products as opposed to actually preparing you with what you need to know out there! Its working out who is like that up front that is tricky, but you quickly get to realise who is who.

A lot of it is plain common sense. Insurance is a must - its only sensible. What would happen if you dropped a bottle of solution on someones brand new expensive carpet....or they had an allergic reaction and decided to sue. Don't forget client record cards too. Don't spray anyone with a skin condition that could be irritated or causes bad dryness, put new couch roll on the floor of the tent before each client and then clean the tent at the end of each day, and the best thing you can do is spend a lot of time reading on here...there is bucket loads of info to be picked up.

Your machine should be compatible with most solutions. What is it? It maybe worth doing a lot of practise and research before investing in your next lot of solution...then is the time to change. I too, like Jackie, would be v interested to know who trained you...I'd certainly be steering clear at that price with that little knowledge imparted.

Hi Z - no, that didn't include any products at all!! I was hoping to be able to buy a machine and/or solution from them but that didn't seem available! I can't have missed that part as I know I didn't go out for the toilet or a break as I was needed to hold holes!!!

It is sooo tempting to name them (but I won't) but I'm hoping that one of the other girls who was on that course reads this thread and realises from all the wonderful advice I have been received, that there is hope....:). They were all really young girls and I wonder what their parents said when they told them!! I shall be penning a letter soon and trading standards next if I'm not happy - my friend works for trading standards!!! I will try and PM you.. thanks again.

tbh I'm shocked at the poor standard of your training, I mean poor you having to hold tubing thats hot then having to put plasters on it!
WHATS THAT ABOUT !

How unprofessional of them and what a bad way for you to start! I really feel for you. I love spray tanning so please dont let it put you off.

Have you thought about speaking with trading standards if they wont refund you?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is shocked! I found out today from trading standards what to do so I will be penning a letter in next few days and will let you know if I do get a refund...unprofessional is not the word! Scary hey!

hi chester baker , i have a terrible suspicion (sp) that im going to the same place as u did for my spray tanning course and do not want to go if its like that . is it ok if u pm me ?. i cant figure out how to do it .lol

Hi - I can't figure out PM either but I think it's my computer! If I do get it sorted, I will pm you. My advice to you is this - go to your training, but if anything goes wrong, and you are not happy whilst at the training, suggest that the training be rescheduled. I would be surprised if something like this can happen twice! Like I said in my link, the tutor wasn't actually to blame for the compressor, but they didn't create the right impression at all by carrying on. It just showed me they were only interested in my money. Take a list of the things that you are expecting to hear about and if it isn't mentioned, speak up - that's the best advice I've had on this site! And read through my thread, make notes from it and if the tent is not cleaned each time someone stands on it, mention it. Learn from my mistakes at not speaking up at the right time. Altho I think I was in total disbelief!! :):)

Sounds like it was a total nightmare.....even if they were selling kits, who would have bought one with hoses melting all over the place and plasters being required to stuff holes....sounds like the kit should be supplied with an additional puncture repair kit!

Pen away! And let us know how you get on.

thanks for the advice . will do as u say and take a list . i cant for the life of me pm people on here!lol fellow geeks how do u do it lol!!

Latest posts

Back