Contraceptive implant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
My daughter is 17 and suffers badly with painfull periods, she's tried the mini and the combined pill but she keeps forgetting to take it, even with me reminding her !!! so her periods are worse than ever, we went to brooks to get some advice and because of me having a leaky aortic valve they don't want her on the pill and have suggested the implant but I'm not sure about it because there's no assurance that her periods will be any better.

I'm wondering if anyone had had any experience with the implant ?

My daughter is 17 and suffers badly with painfull periods, she's tried the mini and the combined pill but she keeps forgetting to take it, even with me reminding her !!! so her periods are worse than ever, we went to brooks to get some advice and because of me having a leaky aortic valve they don't want her on the pill and have suggested the implant but I'm not sure about it because there's no assurance that her periods will be any better.

I used to have horrible period pains, I tried the implant at first and had it to have it out within 6 months, due to been on most of the time! Was crazy
Everyone's different tho it could affect her te complete opposite x

I had the same problem but went with the minerva coil which was the most painful thing in the world for 2 days but havnt had a period or any pain since :) x

You probably don't want to hear this, so I apologise in advance!

Like your daughter, I too suffer from very heavy, painful periods (sometimes lasting 3 weeks with cramps and migraines) when I'm off my pill (Cerazette). The doctor put me on it for that reason, and I used it successfully for a year before opting for the implant - I kept forgetting to take the pill even with an alarm/reminder set.

They said it would give similar results (that's the key word here...) to what I was used to but my god were they wrong. It's the same hormone but it enters the body in a different way and I didn't react well to it. I bled continually for 9 months (sometimes spotting, sometimes full blown periods) before they agreed to remove it. I went back on Cerazette and have been using it since (2.5 years) with no problem - it was a case of NEEDING to remember the pill.

This may be totally different to someone elses experience though so don't take my word for it!

Xx

I had the same problem but went with the minerva coil which was the most painful thing in the world for 2 days but havnt had a period or any pain since :) x

I have a Mirena too - love it.

I have had implant for two years now and it works for me. Before this I had the injection which had similar effect but I was hungry all the time and put on weight. I've not lost all the weight I put on, but appetite back to normal now. I love it because I have hardly any bleeding and it stops my migraines which were a huge problem for me.

I have a mirena fired ... Had it 6 years and have not had a period !!!! But everyone is different and I would do research first x

Sorry phone is a pain .... I meant "fitted" lol x

From the age of 13 i suffered really painful and heavy periods, was awful!
Then when i was 21 i had a laposcopy (camera through belly button) and they found out it was endrometrosis. It may be a good idea to ask the doctor if she can be checked for this. As the hospital said its not normal to have periods that painful. xxx

I was put on Implanon implant due to suffering migraines and I love it - no side effects whatsoever and cycle completely stopped. Everyone is different hon my two friends had the same experience as me but none of us had any health problems to start with x

I was put on Implanon implant due to suffering migraines and I love it - no side effects whatsoever and cycle completely stopped. Everyone is different hon my two friends had the same experience as me but none of us had any health problems to start with x

Me too!and its nearly stopped my migraines :) i dont think it works for everybody but I've a lot of friends who are getting on fine with the implant just like me x

I would say no to the implant if i knew what i know now. Ive been waiting for 3 months to have it taken out, but theres such a big waiting list of people wanting to have it removed here that im not sure how long im going to have to wait now! Its been hell on earth for me! I had bad periods when i was younger and the pill made it better in the last few years but due to no periods and no pill taking i plumped for the implant. Ive had 3 bits of bleeding since dec 2010 but everytime itslike the pain has built from each missed periods and just tripled it when i do bleed.

So glad I read this! Was going to get a docs app to ask to have the implant next week :/ I too suffer from extremely painful periods and have done ever since I started ): they last 7-8 days & they are so painful I'm physically sick! I'm 99% sure I've got
Endometriosis but my doc won't believe me & all he has done is prescribed me special painkillers as paracetamol doesn't work on me :mad: I've been on the pill (microginon & celest (sp) ) and those were terrible! Also been on the injection but I put on loads of weight and turned into mega bitch so stopped having it. I need something to stop my periods cos they are ruining my life! My other option is the coil but I've heard it can mess up your hair making it brittle & stop growing properly but I'm sure everyone reacts different x

You probably don't want to hear this, so I apologise in advance!

Like your daughter, I too suffer from very heavy, painful periods (sometimes lasting 3 weeks with cramps and migraines) when I'm off my pill (Cerazette). The doctor put me on it for that reason, and I used it successfully for a year before opting for the implant - I kept forgetting to take the pill even with an alarm/reminder set.

They said it would give similar results (that's the key word here...) to what I was used to but my god were they wrong. It's the same hormone but it enters the body in a different way and I didn't react well to it. I bled continually for 9 months (sometimes spotting, sometimes full blown periods) before they agreed to remove it. I went back on Cerazette and have been using it since (2.5 years) with no problem - it was a case of NEEDING to remember the pill.

This may be totally different to someone elses experience though so don't take my word for it!

Xx

I'm on cerazzete amd it's the best thing I've ever done it's brilliant no periods they stopped as soon as I took it and no pain what so ever.

I put it next to my bed so I don't forget to take it.the good thing with this pill is that you have a 12 hour window gap where if you do forget to take it as long as it's in that 12 hours you are covered.I'm religious taking mine as I don't want to get caught short and have another baby lol.xxxx

Im on my third now so thats 7 years on the implant. First two implants i bleed maybe every 3 month for 2 weeks but my third thay have stopped compleatly. I get no pain
s. Im not sure what my periods are like natrully as i was 16 when i went on it and have forgoten.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

So glad I read this! Was going to get a docs app to ask to have the implant next week :/ I too suffer from extremely painful periods and have done ever since I started ): they last 7-8 days & they are so painful I'm physically sick! I'm 99% sure I've got
Endometriosis but my doc won't believe me & all he has done is prescribed me special painkillers as paracetamol doesn't work on me :mad: I've been on the pill (microginon & celest (sp) ) and those were terrible! Also been on the injection but I put on loads of weight and turned into mega bitch so stopped having it. I need something to stop my periods cos they are ruining my life! My other option is the coil but I've heard it can mess up your hair making it brittle & stop growing properly but I'm sure everyone reacts different x

If I were you I would insist on getting referred to the hospital, you sound like I was and if it is endrometrosis you may get help or be able to control the pain better, I would keep going to the doctors until you get help. Don't give up :) good luck x x

I had the implant over a year and half ago after suffering bad and irregular periods. After having the implant in I immediately went downhill and it made me very ill, not to mention one 9 month period with no breaks! I had it taken out and to this day I am still suffering trying to get back to normal - but everyone reacts differently to it :) I think I read recently it's not as safe as its made out to be either :)

Hth's xxx

I've been to my docs loads & begged him to refer me but he won't )': I've got 2 friends who've got endometriosis and I've got all the symptoms and my friend even gave me the name of the doc who does the op to get referred to but no! I have given up a little bit but this last period has killed me! Worst one yet, terrible back pain and sickness & I had to have the night off work cos it got so bad, only managed 1.5 hours till I was crying in pain and my boss let me go home ): if I had the money I'd go private but that's not gonna happen. God I hate being a woman sometimes! Men don't know how good they've got it!! X

I had implanon (spelling!) and it didnt work for me at all ended up having constant bleeding and then was on the pill at the same time without breaks! Too many hormones! So much better just on the pill!!! Have had friends that have got on very well with it though!?? X

My daughter had the inplant fitted 9 months ago, she was all over the place with her periods, on most of the time, she also gained over a stone in weight.She has just had it removed so will see if things settle down.So hard to know what to use.:sad:

Latest posts

Back