Contract massage work- they have booked out my break!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Just thought I would write about a situation I have just encountered, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how you dealt with it.

I work as a massage therapist within a Physio clinic, as a contractor. Only 2 days a week. I give them 50% of my earnings each month. They deal with all the bookings. I get paid for each massage I do.

My scheduled hours on a sat are 10-2.30 , with a break at 12-12.30. I specifically chose a 4.5 hour shift because thats all i can actually handle of deep tissue massage. Dnt get me wrong i know there are therapists in spas who work 8hour massage shifts, i have been there myself and i ended up with sciatica. this is why i limit myself to a maximum 4 hours. and 4 hours are only possible if i get a wee break in between!! Every sat I have a break in between the first and last 2 hours of massage,I have made it clear that it's vital that I have this break because deep tissue massage is so intense, plus I have had a very dodgy neck and back recently, so I really need that break 1- to eat and drink and 2- to stretch off and save my muscles.

Yesterday (thursday) I looked in the diary for saturday and noticed that I am fully booked, and where my break normally is they have booked in a client. No break.

I emailed reception saying can you please reschedule that client on my break because I need a break. And she replied saying "no, the client has already paid"...

To which I replied "ok, but its not possible for me to do 4.5 hours of deep tissue massage without a break, they need rescheduled".

And she didn't reply. So I checked this morning and the client is still booked in. So I called reception and she said "did you not get my email, I told you the client has already paid."... As if to say, to hell with your well being, the customer needs his massage. My phone then cut out, so I emailed her saying yes I got your email but I emailed you back saying a break is vital for me, especially since iv had a dodgy back and especially since I have freelance clients straight after, I need the break! And she replied saying the same again "can't move them they have already paid, can you not stay later and I will move another client" to which I replied "no I can't I have plans after the clinic for other clients"...

And then I ended of offering to come in half an hour earlier (which i really dont want to do, but i was made to feel like it was my problem and not hers) so they could shift clients so I can factor in a break. And the reply was " your first client is coming in at 9.30 instead of 10am, iv left a message with your second client but can't guarantee anything". So basically as it stands I'm going to have to do 3.5 hours of massage non stop. When I say non stop I literally mean non stop, they book them in 10-11, 11-12 etc, for hour long massages with no time to even breath between clients, I have to work between two rooms so I don't run late.

I am so annoyed. Not only have they taken out my break, as a result I am now doing an extra half hour of massage, and even though I have explained 3x how Important my break is, they don't give a flying f@*k! She has no idea how tiring one massage is, let alone 4.5 hours.

Am I right to tell them this is unacceptable? I'm not a machine. It's exhausting me even thinking about tomorrow. Plus I'm self employed and I do set hours, and they have totally disregarded this and booked in more massage than I'm willing to do. I know that this receptionist didn't book them in, so she's annoyed that she has to deal with it. But it's not my problem. I don't get paid to arrange clients. And to be honest, since I'm doing 4.5 hours of deep tissue, I know by the last client I will be knackered and probably feel weak, and that's not ideal from a clients point of view.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

I feel for you. I think as a one off perhaps you may have to go through with what has been booked but think you should also complain to whoever is in charge to ensure that the same situation does not arise again. I know that's probably not what you want to hear but at the end of the day you don't want to look bad to your clients, even though it is not actually through your doing iykwim. Hopefully a complaint to whoever in charge will ensure it won't happen again.

You are a contractor, therefore have no ties to them and are your own boss. You are in your right to refuse the client on your break while they are there. Tell them it's a reception problem and to direct their complaint there. Speak to the practice manager and tell them not only is it unacceptable, but the attitude was desucsting and you point blank refuse to work breaks. Xoxo

Hey thanks for your replies :)

I'm going in early tomorrow, at 9.30 so at least I can get some form of break between all this massage. I had to volunteer myself to do this because I felt bullied into it by reception. She made me feel like it was my problem, and that me saying no just wasn't good enough for her.

I'm not happy about it at all. If the manager is in tomorrow, which she probs will be I will definitely tell her how upset I am about this, it makes me feel like they don't value my health as their massage therapist. I can't believe that after stating three times that I need the break, she treated me the way she did.

She even said "your leaving this a bit late I'm up to my eyeballs here"... I actually told her yesterday morning so she has had 2 days to sort it. She actually emailed me saying she told the practice manager and she said if I can just do it this one time she will make sure my breaks are in the diary from now on.

I'm just not happy that this has even happened in the first place.i actually thought i would get a simple "no problem I will move them" reply. Never mind getting ignored, and then getting attitude emails saying "just do it they can't be moved they have paid".

I will admit I'm not very good with confrontation, but in this case I was so annoyed I have to say something.

Especially since last month, 6 clients didn't turn up so I lost alot of money (no cancellation policy used), and I'm just to put up with it, and they think they can put my health at risk and deny me my break and I will just agree? Or go out of my way and change my hours just so I make sure I have a break at some point even if its at 10.30am instead of 12.

Ahh I'm ranting again! Sorry ! Thanks for reading :) xx

She even said "your leaving this a bit late I'm up to my eyeballs here"...

Maybe suggest to the receptionist that perhaps she could have worked through her lunch break to sort it out seeing as breaks appear to be so unnecessary!

Maybe suggest to the receptionist that perhaps she could have worked through her lunch break to sort it out seeing as breaks appear to be so unnecessary!

I should! I totally should! If I had balls I would, and I know a lot of people would say that but I wouldn't have it in me. It is a good point though.

You know what I'm getting really fed up with this Physio place. I have been complaining about it for over a year now but still haven't left. Maybe this is a sign lol

My stylists regularly go for 4 hours without a break.
Im sorry, Im just chucking another point of view in here but to be honest, whilst I do aggree she was out of order to book through your break without asking you first, I think that for the sake of a one off client, and with you being self employed, would you not be glad of the extra cash?
I personally dont think it's that big a deal :-/
But maybe Im just used to being a workhorse who often goes 8 hours non stop.....

My stylists regularly go for 4 hours without a break.
Im sorry, Im just chucking another point of view in here but to be honest, whilst I do aggree she was out of order to book through your break without asking you first, I think that for the sake of a one off client, and with you being self employed, would you not be glad of the extra cash?
I personally dont think it's that big a deal :-/
But maybe Im just used to being a workhorse who often goes 8 hours non stop.....

Hey! Thanks for commenting :)

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about the extra cash. I used to over exert myself on the massage front when i first started as self employed, for the money, and ended up really damaging my wrists, I now have carpel tunnel in one. And after speaking to the clinic manager about it, who is a physio and has to treat my wrist, we both agreed that I need to cut down my deep tissue massage hours if I want a good few years of being a massage therapist, and not only cut down, but make sure I have that time in between to do some self massage techniques. And I would normally just accept that reception made a mistake and work through, to save the bother, on the odd occasion but tomorrow I have 4 freelance clients booked in straight after, with only travel time between finishing at the clinic and meeting my clients, and they do know this, so I really was relying on the break.

I used to not look after myself and not listen to my body, I used to go to work ill or with a sore back / wrist and I have learnt that it's so important to look after yourself and prevent injury when your self employed. At the end of the day I would rather stand my ground and make sure I don't put my wrist in "danger" than just work over my hours to please the receptionist. But to be honest, I think she doesn't realise the effect massage has, how much it takes out of you physically, so she probably doesn't see the big deal!

ok, considering myself told :wink2:
though I didnt realise you had more clients after...have to admit I thought you were upset about working 4 hours!
x

4 hours of deep tissue is no joke. It's physically demanding work. Maybe do it as a one off, but make it clear its just that...a one off!!

ok, considering myself told :wink2:
though I didnt realise you had more clients after...have to admit I thought you were upset about working 4 hours!
x

Nono lol, I have a looooong day after that! Think I would feel underworked if I only worked 4 hours! Although its eyelashes and nails afterwards, so not anywhere near as tiring as the massage! X

4 hours of deep tissue is no joke. It's physically demanding work. Maybe do it as a one off, but make it clear its just that...a one off!!

I think it's the reason I never go to the gym! It's a workout in itself, especially if its a big muscly man! I'm going to head in tomorrow, do the work and make it crystal clear that I won't do it again. The thing is, the clinic manager is really understanding towards us, how physically demanding it is, and as soon as there is a problem she demands you get it fixed immediately, so I am hoping she will be pretty understanding when I mention this tomorrow! I think the receptionist has been looking for another job for months... and is maybe a little cranky just now...X

I made it clear from the start 4 hrs max with 10 to 15 mins in-between. That was to give client aftercare advice, set up write receipts. We where taught in college 4 hr a day or you will burn out. I have done back to back and they would sometimes squeeze in a extra if relaxation or HOTSTONE not so bad. I always would remind them about the 4 hr rule. My body after all no one else cares if you burn out in 5 years. I did waxing and facials ect as well so tried to teach other girls to schedule in other appointments in-between. quite often I wouldn't get a lunch break that didn't bother me if I could grab 15 mins to eat something. Be forceful with reception tell them if it happens again you will not see client and they will have to explain. Make sure your breaks are blacked out in book.

You are a contractor, therefore have no ties to them and are your own boss. You are in your right to refuse the client on your break while they are there. Tell them it's a reception problem and to direct their complaint there. Speak to the practice manager and tell them not only is it unacceptable, but the attitude was desucsting and you point blank refuse to work breaks. Xoxo
This is completely spot on, its a reception problem completely and their job role ensure a responsibility to manage the diary, contact clients and re arrange appointments if it was infact reception who made the error in the first place.

I dont think you should do it as a "one off" as you said the "cancellation fee" policy isnt even being enforced, therfore you are losing money and this clinic isnt prepared to compensate you for wasted hours yet expect you toput your health and wellbeing at risk to save them face. Clearly a clinic that doesnt take safety seriously.

They dont sound like they care for your welfare whatsoever which is disgraceful and ironic considering they are a physiotherapy clinic.

If the receptionist doesnt move the client, you inform her when you go in that morning that at 12pm or wheneve your break is due that you will be leaving the clinic to refuel tc and the client can wait all they want but unfortunately this is NOT your problem.

When I worked in a spa in Edinburgh they tried this a couple of times!

I was only 17 at the time but i told them to re-schedule the client as i was not working a 9hr shift with no break. They even tried it when i had been signed off doing massage by my Dr to allow my back a break as it went into spasm as i was constantly put on massage. I left that job after 5 months as they just took the pi** at every opportunity and also the industry, I regret taking that job as my first job in Beauty as i feel with a smaller salon i would have loved it and would probably still be doing it today.

You need to stand up for yourself! You are self employed and shouldn't be doing as told from the receptionist who has made the "mistake" in the first place. You are also entitled to by LAW to have a break. I totally understand where you are coming from having a dodgy back and continous massage is only going to set you down a road of disaster. 5 years later im still on painkillers, undergoing physio and still have daily issues with my back...its not worth it! I would jack in that job if your mobile and earning enough doing that xx

When I worked in a spa in Edinburgh they tried this a couple of times!

I was only 17 at the time but i told them to re-schedule the client as i was not working a 9hr shift with no break. They even tried it when i had been signed off doing massage by my Dr to allow my back a break as it went into spasm as i was constantly put on massage. I left that job after 5 months as they just took the pi** at every opportunity and also the industry, I regret taking that job as my first job in Beauty as i feel with a smaller salon i would have loved it and would probably still be doing it today.

You need to stand up for yourself! You are self employed and shouldn't be doing as told from the receptionist who has made the "mistake" in the first place. You are also entitled to by LAW to have a break. I totally understand where you are coming from having a dodgy back and continous massage is only going to set you down a road of disaster. 5 years later im still on painkillers, undergoing physio and still have daily issues with my back...its not worth it! I would jack in that job if your mobile and earning enough doing that xx

I had exactly the same situation working in a spa, my first job after college too! It traumatised me and that job def started my back problems. That's why I made such a big deal out of it when I started in the Physio place and made sure that 4 hrs deep tissue was my absolute maximum. I annoyed at myself for kinda giving in and offering to come in early and do more than I am meant to just because she didn't want to correct the mistake. I'm going in there tomorrow and she will be there, I wouldn't be surprised if she has a wee dig at the "trouble" I caused lol. I have said to myself so many times that I need to leave that place but i just feel a bit stuck in a rut with what I'm doing at the mo X

I don't know if it's a physical diary or an electronic one but either way, ask to have your break blocked out every time you come in. Demand it - or offer to do it yourself!

Latest posts

Back