Contracted to work Sundays?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaB

Reaction score
So I currently work Sundays 10-1 which is fine, but my boss now wants me in 10-4 which i cant do as Im my mums carer for one.
Anyway, In my contract it does say I work mon-sun but doesnt state how long or what times.
So I guess my question is am i contracted to work whatever hours she sets out for me on sunday?
Thanks x

Can anyone enlighten me? :)

How many hours are you contracted to work? If you are contracted to a set number of hours then I guess you have to work them any day it says in your contract which you said is mon-sun. If it exceeds your contracted hours or you are a casual worker you may be entitled to turn extra hours down. It should say in your contract.
My advice would be to sit down and have a talk with her explaining your circumstances. I'm sure you can come to some agreement.
If it was a case of well you work until 4 or not at all what would you? Who cares for your mum whilst you are at work? Could they take care of her a little longer if your boss can't compromise?
Go through your contract with a fine tooth comb and speak to your boss.

Yes Im contracted to work 37 hours and this would make it over my hours.
But she then said I could start later on another day so then these extra hours on sunday would bring it back down to my contract hours if that makes sense.
Going to have a chat with her tomorrow evening but just wanted to see what both our rights are, and no one one else can really look after her plusIi use sundays to clean the house :/
Thanks for your advice x

Good advice given already hun. I had a contract of employment that stated i worked 37 hours per week monday to friday between the hours of 0800 and 1800. This meant that i was expected to work those 37 hours any time including between and up to the hours stated and my boss could decided when as that is what id signed too. The only way i got to change to the set hours and days was going to my boss and asking for the particular hours i wanted/needed and thankfully her agreeing to them. This meant i has a new contract with set hours and my boss could no longer change my working hours (possibly unless there was a very good reason).
As youve already said hun have a chat to explain about your circumstances and see if you can both work around it.

Good luck lovey x x x

Yes Im contracted to work 37 hours and this would make it over my hours.
But she then said I could start later on another day so then these extra hours on sunday would bring it back down to my contract hours if that makes sense.
Going to have a chat with her tomorrow evening but just wanted to see what both our rights are, and no one one else can really look after her plusIi use sundays to clean the house :/
Thanks for your advice x

your welcome!
Just incase your boss doesnt play fair and insists you work you could always give citizens advice a call and ask them their opinion. Obviously every contract is different but is there to protect the employer as well as employee.
Hopefully she will be understanding and it wont come to that.
Maybe you could suggest working the extra hours once a month if posible.
good luck.

Thank you both for your advice, very helpful :D
Hopefully the chat goes ok! xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back