contraindications! is it just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly01

Reaction score
Evening all!

I haven't been around for a few weeks,I have been so busy, so I thought I would sit down tonight and post away!!

I just need a bit of reassurance. Over the past 3 weeks, I have had loads of clients with contraindications to treatments e.g 2 x clients who have just finished chemo! 2 insulin diabetics! fungal infections 2 pregnant ladies who want their bellies waxing! the list goes on honestly, I have never had so many clients with lists of medications and problems, I am starting to wonder what is going on. I nearly didn't set up for a hot stone massage today cause I knew the client would have a contraindication. (which she did!).

To top it off clients are saying, that they have had treatments elsewhere and I have had to do the 'well Mrs Client with the greatest respect e.t.c a few have turned shirty!

I am insured with the Guild who are saying not to get a client to sign a disclaimer as I am not insured, and that I shouldn't treat any client with a contraindication.

I am at the point where I am on the verge of asking clients when they are booking the appointment what their problems are! would you be offended if I asked you over the phone if you were taking medication e.t.c.

Me thinks I will be running out of clients soon!!

So basically I think I am asking, does anyone else get this quite a lot or do you think clients are trying it on cause the salon is only 7 months old?

What do you do with clients who are contraindicated?

I try my hardest to be professional but it seems to be going against me at the moment!

Any advice as always very welcomed!

K x

I think it would depend what the contra-indication was.There are ways around contra-indications for example,avoiding the area,i.e fungal infections.

You could offer an alternative treatment.I rarely have clients with contraindications but when/if I do I usually adapt my treatment or offer an alternative that wouldn't be contraindicated.

I would ignore any mention from clients who say that another therapist has done the treatment.After all it's you who will lose your insurance,business & reputation.If such and such a salon down the road is so good,then why is the client coming to you?HTH

Hi Babsann

I knew you would be the first to answer me. I have been doing just that! done more manicures and file and paints than I can tell you!

Thanks
K x

Hi Babsann

I knew you would be the first to answer me. I have been doing just that! done more manicures and file and paints than I can tell you!

Thanks
K x
LOL,well you seem to be doing the right thing.It's a pain with so many things to be aware of now,I know it's in the clients best interest and for our protection,but sometimes it's just too OTT.

I would say the best thing you can do is use your common sense in these matters,which you seem to be doing anyway.Good luck and hope things start improving for you hun.xx

i used to work at a busy health spa and to avoid situations like u are finding urself in, the reception team asked the client if they suffered from various things when they booked the treatment. however this was only for treatments like massage, body wraps and electrical facials. It did work quite well and saved alot of clients being disappointed when the therapists got them in the treatment room.

It really has to depend on what exactly the contraindicator is and what the service is. For example... waxing a pregnant womans belly... Not sure why this would ever be a problem. For diabetics... carrying out most treatments is not a problem, you may just have to adjust a few things.. ie, making sure the water is not too hot when you do a pedicure, extra careful not to break any skin.

Honestly, if we refused services to every person that was considered to have contraindications, we would not have much clientele.

Latest posts

Back