Contrast

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronigrim

Reaction score
I'm looking for tips on how to keep a distinct difference between highlights and base color as the months continue and new growth retouch happens. Near the scalp looks good each time, but zone 2 and 3 become muddled and there is no contrast when you look at the back of her hair. What am I doing wrong?!

When you do highlights for the first time, there’s a clear contrast between the highlight and the natural hair and it should look fairly natural overall as if it’s been lightened by the sun.

To maintain this effect, you need to use 2-3 colours each time to give it definition, not just 1 colour and bleach. Otherwise, as it grows out and you re-do the highlights each time, you’ll end up with an almost solid blonde head with dark root re-growth.

That’s why I like doing balayage, and a ‘less is more’ approach. Constantly re-assess at each visit and keep it natural looking.

I'm looking for tips on how to keep a distinct difference between highlights and base color as the months continue and new growth retouch happens. Near the scalp looks good each time, but zone 2 and 3 become muddled and there is no contrast when you look at the back of her hair. What am I doing wrong?!
When you get to that stage, you should start introducing a lowlight that's as close to the clients natural colour as possible. I usually use a demi/quasi to do this.

This is a great idea, thank you! In the section between the highlight retouch foils I will do a lowlight weave with demi. She complains if I get it too dark (when is use SEQ on the faded ends) but she also complains about not enough contrast! The weave should be a good answer

Latest posts

Back