Controversial, potential price increase to cover increase in running costs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanieM

Reaction score
hey guys and girls,
So i have a bit of an awkward one, I hate talking money, but im thinking about all this extra ppe etc for when were finally allowed to go back to work.
I do Hair and Nails.
The things im looking to implement are 1 client in at a time, (no back to back appts)
Straight to the sink to wash their hands and antibac
Gowns used once per client then boil wash them all at the end of the day.
Extra time inbetween clients to clean down chairs, tools, trolleys, door handles etc
Masks to be worn by myself and the client,
Disposable gloves for myself and client
It all adds up yeah its only a couple of quid for masks and gloves but what about the time loss? I always back to back as my services are made very affordable for my clients and I think if I raise them too much it will seem like im trying to capitalise on the situation when im just trying to keep making enough to live on.
as hairdressers and nail techs we charge for our knowledge and expertise not the cost of the products, so we are definitely going to be loosing out.
Also now I cant be just charging for their root application when its 3 times longer than it should be, ill have to be charging my full colour price. my heads going to explode overthinking all this and I dont even know when w can go back to work lol

What are your thoughts on this? just interested to hear other peoples views

Many Thanks xxx

Same questions going around my mind..
no decisions made yet

I’ve amended your thread title as it didn’t really explain what the issue was and it’s something that everyone is going to be thinking about and so hopefully, this will draw more people to comment.

I honestly think that those clients that are desperate to get their hair coloured professionally will be willing to pay a price increase, especially as the additional expenses are for their safety too.

The clients who’ve gone straight to the box dyes will often be the ones who quibble about the costs. They are not my target market and never will be.

hey guys and girls,
So i have a bit of an awkward one, I hate talking money, but im thinking about all this extra ppe etc for when were finally allowed to go back to work.
I do Hair and Nails.
The things im looking to implement are 1 client in at a time, (no back to back appts)
Straight to the sink to wash their hands and antibac
Gowns used once per client then boil wash them all at the end of the day.
Extra time inbetween clients to clean down chairs, tools, trolleys, door handles etc
Masks to be worn by myself and the client,
Disposable gloves for myself and client
It all adds up yeah its only a couple of quid for masks and gloves but what about the time loss? I always back to back as my services are made very affordable for my clients and I think if I raise them too much it will seem like im trying to capitalise on the situation when im just trying to keep making enough to live on.
as hairdressers and nail techs we charge for our knowledge and expertise not the cost of the products, so we are definitely going to be loosing out.
Also now I cant be just charging for their root application when its 3 times longer than it should be, ill have to be charging my full colour price. my heads going to explode overthinking all this and I dont even know when w can go back to work lol

What are your thoughts on this? just interested to hear other peoples views

Many Thanks xxx
I think you underestimate the cost of the PPE we will need to provide
The masks I usually buy through Ellisons are now 5 times the cost!

Bumping this up as curious about where most people are since this question was first asked....

We haven't changed anything yet.

I've put a £4 surcharge on all appointments (I'm mobile hair) to cover extra cost of PPE and fact I'm only doing one client/household a day to allow myself time to sterilise everything properly. None of my clients have had a problem with it and tbh are just grateful to get their hair done. Also when quoting for colour services that are a little more complex just remembering to think carefully and not blurt out without methodically working through starting price / extra colour charges / travel surcharge if further out / £4 PPE on top. Try not to worry about what others around you are charging. Your customers will probably pay a little extra if needed in order to stay with the hairdresser they're comfortable and happy with. And if they're not then that's their problem, you can't undersell yourself, especially at this time.

Unless the PPE is provided free of charge by the government or some other source, everybody has to include it in their business costs.

This could reflect in a service price increase across the board, or an extra price though I think it might be easier on peoples minds if the cost is blended into service prices rather than highlighted as separate.

I know it’s different, and a charge can muster feelings of guilt up, but to help get you get your head around it (and anyone else who might be reading), think about your barbicide, sanitiser, gown, and glove costs before covid. Most of us are including these in our business costs, it’s not free.

PPE is a massive ongoing cost to any business, it must be reflected realistically against what is made because it will all add up.

Latest posts

Back