Controversial!! The youth of today.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire_Gal

Reaction score
I know this is going to be controversial, but it is my view. I cant believe how many young people are doing beauty and then going it alone/mobile, rather than going to work in a salon. The market is flooded at present with beauty therapists and everyday on here there are people starting out alone/mobile. I dont believe there is enough money to go around to enable everyone to make a decent wage. So why do they do it, why not work for a salon that offers consistent wages. My view is that the youth of today are lazy and dont like being told what to do. They dont like the constraints of working fixed hours and doing the menial jobs, they want to come and go as they please, doing what THEY want when THEY want. I know its not just indicative of beauty, but of society as a whole.

I know what you mean but at the same time it's really hard for a lot of young people to find work in a salon with no or little experience, ive been super lucky and not had this problem so far but I do know of loads of people that want to work in a salon but simply can't and don't want to give up doing hair/beauty so go it alone, don't know If I got the poit of this thread but that's my view lool, and of you think if they want money they will work for it of thy wanna be lazy then they get none whereas I'm a salon I find that people aren't motivated to work coz hey get a wage at the end of the week no matter what?? Xxxx

This often crosses my mind as well. I qualified last year and have worked in salons since, yes it would great to do mobile work but I am just so worried I wouldn't have enough clients to earn a decent wage!
I do think there is enormous number of mobile beauty therapists, nail technicians, spray tanners etc...
And that is what stops me from doing mobile work. I think with the newly qualified going mobile straight away, the problem could be the low wage they would earn in a salon. Why work for a minimum wage when being mobile you get to keep all the money the earn.(obviously after paying all the expenses etc..but you would still end up earning more than the NMW)
I like to think this is the biggest problem. But I could be wrong and it could be just like you said, they don't want to work for anyone else, but be their own boss and have their own rules.
Will be nice to hear other opinions.

going mobile is not just for the young ones and at the end of the day you have to go with what suits you best family wise, even young people have familys and if they are willing to go mobile and make some money to support their familys good for them i say. i intend to go mobile in the next few months because i have three kids and have nobody to mind them in school hols so for me thats my only choice. i think if you good at what you do go for it! and there are no jobs in my area doing beauty everyones struggling at the minute i think.

Maybe ive not moved with the times, i dont know. Its like the young ones want to earn the big money straight away, but dont want to put the effort in. I think reality shows and the media have a lot to answer for. They see people becoming rich and famous by doing nothing.

I know what you mean but at the same time it's really hard for a lot of young people to find work in a salon with no or little experience

Exactly!

I'm not qualified yet (graduate in June) but I'm essentially having to go mobile in the mean time, because I can't find a salon job. Hopefully once I have a full qualification and looking for a full time job I'll be more lucky - but I doubt it'll be that easy, since all the graduates will be looking at the same time.

I completely disagree that it's laziness.

Exactly!
I completely disagree that it's laziness.

I also said that it wasnt indicative just of beauty. Look how many young uns refuse to work in shops, clean, do menial jobs because its NMW and not what they want to do, and would rather be unemployed. The country is a mess.

I also disagree about the laziness comment. I dont think there are that many salon jobs open to people who have just qualified at the present time, not when you could employ someone with years of experience, also qualifications do come in to it as not everyone completes NVQ's, for example some people are going straight in to do nail courses or spray tanning, waxing etc and a lot of salons require the NVQ 3.

You also have to be fairly commited and motivated to make going mobile work.

I also said that it wasnt indicative just of beauty. Look how many young uns refuse to work in shops, clean, do menial jobs because its NMW and not what they want to do, and would rather be unemployed. The country is a mess.

Some are like that, yes, but I think it's wrong to completely stereotype them all into one group. There are also plenty of adults that refuse to do NMW work, so it's not just a problem with "the youth of today", in my opinion.

I'm a qualified hairdresser level 2 and 3 and a qualified beautician at level 2 and 3. I've worked since I was 16 in a restaurant, I'm 21 now and considering going mobile, not because I'm lazy and don't like being told what to do (as I've been used to this since 16) but because it's very hard to get into a salon also I'm keeping my other job as I know it will never close down, however the salons around me open and in a few months there closed down due to no business - therefore if I worked there I would have no job, being mobile allows you to be your own boss and given the chance if you build your clients up you can make a very good wage. It's not about being lazy at all.

Maybe ive not moved with the times, i dont know. Its like the young ones want to earn the big money straight away, but dont want to put the effort in. I think reality shows and the media have a lot to answer for. They see people becoming rich and famous by doing nothing.

Sorry but who's to say "the young ones" are not putting the effort in. Working their butts off mobile which is hard work, throwing all their passion, time and money into their own little business.There's nothing wrong with aiming big in my opinion. With The horror stories of trade tests being done on paying clients and low wages it's no wonder so many people decide to go it alone! X

I know this is an old chestnut but it is the rise of the one day courses that I feel are aiding this problem. You cannot be a professional in one day whatever it is. Some girls (not all) think it is easy to work in this profession but sadly reading lots of posts on here and the amount of CV's I get sent, that positions are hard to get and achieve. A lot want things right now without the underlying work or they are mis-led that a short course is enough. I really wish they wouldn't insure one day courses for complete novices it gives a false sense of impression of what the industry really demands.

Just to add to proper princess - I found a lot of salons took advantage when I was young and I did get used. So there are two sides.

I work for my self in my own salon and I'm 22 I opened my salon a week before my 21s,t I worked since I left school doing 2 jobs whilst at college and even when I had my salon I was still working Sundays at meadowhall I was knackered!

I understand there is a lot of young end out there that don't care but there also a lot of others that don't get the credit they deserve. And as some one else stated its not just young ones there are ALOt of older generation that think the world owe them something so don't work!

I guess everyone has there opinion which they are very much entitled to, but if there passion is beauty or hairdressing then good on em for giving it ago and wanting to earn a living. I fully understood it wasnt going to be easy and I still arnt making millions but I'm giving it a bloody good go.

Xx

I also disagree about the laziness comment. I dont think there are that many salon jobs open to people who have just qualified at the present time, not when you could employ someone with years of experience, also qualifications do come in to it as not everyone completes NVQ's, for example some people are going straight in to do nail courses or spray tanning, waxing etc and a lot of salons require the NVQ 3.

You also have to be fairly commited and motivated to make going mobile work.

I agree! Going mobile you don't get holiday pay/ sick pay. If your ill you don't get paid for having a week off. You haven't got a boss to buy all your products it comes out your own wages!

I know this is an old chestnut but it is the rise of the one day courses that I feel are aiding this problem. You cannot be a professional in one day whatever it is. Some girls (not all) think it is easy to work in this profession but sadly reading lots of posts on here and the amount of CV's I get sent, that positions are hard to get and achieve. A lot want things right now without the underlying work or they are mis-led that a short course is enough. I really wish they wouldn't insure one day courses for complete novices it gives a false sense of impression of what the industry really demands.

Well said. There are obviously going to be differing views, especially from slon owners and those that are self employed.

PS i wonder if those are are self employed or do mobile as an add on to another job declare their earnings. I know for a fact that HMRC trawl web forums like this and conduct IP searches.

It's complicated.
There are a lot of discussion points rolled into one on this thread.
My thoughts are:
  1. Salon work is hard to find after college. Going mobile can be a career choice, or an alternative to not keeping up with your skills after training.
  2. I can only imagine that mobile is VERY hard work.
  3. There are lazy people, and hard-working people of all ages. I know a lot of women of my age who never went back to work after their children were born, even when they were grown up. Their choice, but personally I like to earn my own way.
  4. There can be a raised entitlement perception in younger people, but I think this started back in the 80s, so quite often their parents have it too. An example might be buying a must-have bag at £1000 when that's your salary for the whole month. To me that's time for a reality check, but I understand others may feel differently.
  5. Perhaps, if the market is being flooded, too many learners are being taken on. Should entry criteria be set higher?
  6. In the end, the market will find its own level and the cream will rise to the top.
Interesting thread, OP!

My view is that the youth of today are lazy and dont like being told what to do. They dont like the constraints of working fixed hours and doing the menial jobs, they want to come and go as they please, doing what THEY want when THEY want. I know its not just indicative of beauty, but of society as a whole.

Lol. I think you'll find that every older generation says this about the younger generation. (Just have a read through newspapers/magazines from the 50's/60's & 70's)

(If anything, it shows how lazy journalists are, just re-hashing old news stories...:D)

Of course, what you are saying is partly true as yes, the younger one's always think they are more savvy than us oldies, but then, they grow up, become more mature, have families and responsibilities and lo, turn into the older generation...

We are going through a recession at the moment and the fact is, there are fewer jobs available to newly qualified folk with limited experience and so competition is fierce.

Personally, I think it's commendable that the younger generation have the guts and determination to set up on their own. I wouldn't have had the confidence when I was younger, that's for sure!

It's hardly the easy option as you have to do everything yourself from carrying out a service, to marketing, stock control, dealing with difficult customers, cash flow etc. Surely, working as a therapist in a Salon is the easier option in comparison as you will have a regular income and no other responsibilities.

Good luck to them, I say and I sincerely hope they are very successful. (Someone needs to pay my pension...:D)

This is a very generalised point of view - i dont agree with at all that ''the youth of today'' are lazy for wanting to run their own business - there is a vast difference from those collecting benefits too lazy to work for NMW or even those young or old that do a one day course & 'play' at beauty & those young people that go through college & decide to go build their self employed business.

I've been self employed since i was 19, (im 42 now) ive built 3 succesful businesses, have never claimed benefits & would reccomend being self employed to anyone who can put the hard work & passion into it - being self employed is NOT for the lazy - being on benefits may be but thats another debate.

Since when did choosing your own hours & being your own boss become a bad thing?? good luck to them its not easy but it is worth it!

I think your most creative when you first learn, you kinda want to jump into everything in terms of hair. In beauty you will always get one girl who we've all trained with think she knows everything, has set up a salon/mobile in her spare time...then couple months down the line changes career or is a uber annoying miss know it all. There is always one!

However i feel as though i need to speak up for the younger generation, if they are enthusatic then we should help encourage them. I get quite a few students that turn to me and my staff for advice, at the end of the day i want them to do well. Im not going to purposly not help them, i hope they do well with whichever job role they get, but to assume some are lazy, far from it is what i have seen.

I get a lot of client that are mobile and they just want the banter from the salon sometimes. Hell we know that we're not stealing each others clients or anything, so there is no anomosity, we just chat about new products/annoying clients etc

I think mobile therapists sometimes do get a bad name from some other inexperienced therapists, but i think we all must remember we've all been there. Learning. After all practice does make perfect! xoxo

hey geeks

interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading all your responses. I personally think what ever age you are when you go mobile is not a lazy option far from it. The fact is no matter how old you are no one chooses minimum wages and i think if you are prepared to put the hours and money in to being mobile to earn more than nmw that has surely got to be better for everyone.

Going mobile at a young age or any other i don't think is about not wanting to have a boss and being told what to do, in fact i think its about wanting to be your own boss, motivating yourself, putting the effort in to build a business, putting in money and alot of it to expand and grow your business and so on and so fourth.

I used to work in childcare and see a lot of young girls come in to the industry and some of them used to frustrate me, not because they were young but because they did childcare because they didn't know what else to do, therefore they lacked the passion and commitment. Equally other young girls came into the nursery and they were brilliant at their job. So you see i think as long as you have the passion, put the effort in and actually want to be there it doesn't matter whether you're salon or mobile based.

One final thought really is who doesn't want to earn more money? As long as you're putting the graft in to getting that money, and you will be mobile and financing it yourself, then what's honestly wrong with aiming higher and wanting more. Yes those that put minimum effort in but want to reap the benefits are lazy and greedy but in my opinion young folk who work hard for their money deserve it, as does anyone of any age.
Love n hugs x x x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back