Controversial!! The youth of today.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit sorry for youngsters trying to enter our industry at the moment. Good jobs are few and far between. Salons are making good staff redundant as it is, not nurturing and investing money and time in inexperienced newbies.

In my day it was easy to find salon jobs, there were more jobs than technicians. We also had longer, more thorough training which prepared us better.

I think the mobile thing comes about when people are desperate to use their training, but nobody will give them a chance. As a salon owner, mobiles are not really my competition as we cater to different markets.
Being mobile can actually prevent people from getting a job, as salons are twitchy about client poaching, and people having a rival business while working for their rival, quite understandably.

So before all young people are lumped as lazy, I would like to point out that there are few opportunities compared with years ago.

The mobile phone habit however is a major bugbear.

Controversial? I think you will find insulting would be a better word. What an awful generalisation to make. No wonder SOME of 'the youth' turn out badly with people stereotyping a whole generation like that. Cant help but laugh really

Do you actually watch the news or read the papers, are you cocooned in your own little bubble. There are more 16-25 year olds now not in employment or training than there has ever been. However what you hear from the job centres is that there are numerous jobs available, both full time and part time. BUT... the young uns dont want to clean or work in take aways, or sweep floor or do order picking. They dont want to work for NMW (which is actually not that bad, its the name that makes it sound bad). Theyre too busy watching reality programmes and waiting for someone to come and knock on their door and make them famous. As for the lazy old ones, they were once the lazy young ones, but 2 generations forward. The country is in a mess. I cant wait for the tories to do what they promised and take benefits from people who wont work. With your quote above, youre probably a liberal leftie, and the reason this country is in such a mess.

PS and as for people not liking what ive said, ive actually been inundated with people liking what i have said. The trouble with this forum is everyone is too nicey nicey and afraid to say what they think. Guess what...NOT ME!!!

I think to say 'The youth of today are lazy for wanting to run their own business' is a contradiction in itself.

Yes it is, but lets decompose it a little. Its all well and good for you to run your own business if you are qualified, suitably trained and have the ability to do so (unless youre just going to run it and not do treatments). But.....im sick and tired of reading posts from people who have just come out of college and want to go it alone, because 'hey im qualified'. But then they come on here asking basic questions about nails, waxing, tanning etc. If they had bothered to work in a salon first, they would have ralised its not like it is in college. They could iron out all there problems and gain invaluable interpersonal skills at the same time. No they dont want to work in salon because they are know alls and dont like being told what to do. I know because ive been there with newly qualified BT, and they didnt last 2 minutes. The reason there arent any salon jobs going is because there isnt the clientele out there like there used to be, s we are in a recession and the market is saturated. Im lucky as ive been established a long time and have a very loyal clientele and staff. But then again i pay well above NMW. Ive seen salons come and go near me. As for employing someone, and its a double edged sword, i would never employ someone who had always been mobile and never worked in a salon, no matter how good they were.

Ok can we keep political views out of this. I think that's irrelevant.

I do agree that those who CHOOSE not to work shouldn't be on benefits as this massively annoys me too.

I think everyone has their own opinions but the way you stated yours was quite insulting to those of us who clearly do work hard otherwise we wouldn't be in this forum lol.

I'd also like to say that no I do not want to work in a takeaway. But as a full time student I am exempt from youth unemployment (I believe) though I still work. Why should I work my butt off for someone else at a takeaway and not utilise my skills I have worked so hard to achieve? Also, if I ever do decide that I want to work for someone else I will have both the qualifications and the EXPERIENCE that I have worked myself to gain to be the most competent I can be so they will hire me. And I think that can be applied to lots of 'youngsters'

We are essentially the next generation, the next world leaders, the one who are going to look after you in your old age. But do we moan that the country is a mess because 'grown ups' have f****d it up for us? No, we can't because no one will listen because we're young.

x

Are you seriously saying this? I'm gobsmacked!

Can we close this thread please before any fights break out....

Do you actually watch the news or read the papers, are you cocooned in your own little bubble. There are more 16-25 year olds now not in employment or training than there has ever been. However what you hear from the job centres is that there are numerous jobs available, both full time and part time. BUT... the young uns dont want to clean or work in take aways, or sweep floor or do order picking. They dont want to work for NMW (which is actually not that bad, its the name that makes it sound bad). Theyre too busy watching reality programmes and waiting for someone to come and knock on their door and make them famous. As for the lazy old ones, they were once the lazy young ones, but 2 generations forward. The country is in a mess. I cant wait for the tories to do what they promised and take benefits from people who wont work. With your quote above, youre probably a liberal leftie, and the reason this country is in such a mess.

PS and as for people not liking what ive said, ive actually been inundated with people liking what i have said. The trouble with this forum is everyone is too nicey nicey and afraid to say what they think. Guess what...NOT ME!!!

Have you actually tried to get a job in this recession???

I had to leave my well paid job because I was being bullied by a man in my office- I have 2 children and needed to work to support them and fund my training.

I applied for every job you could think off- including fast food places,supermarkets,cleaning job, warehouse jobs. I applied everywhere and not 1 single response!! For every job that is out there 200 candidates are applying for the same role as you!

Some people don't want to work that includes all ages not just young people.

I have only just turned 25 and have worked my ass off since I was 16 doing any jobs that were available even when I was pregnant with my children I worked right up to I was about to give birth and returned to work after.

I am now a mobile spray tan therapist and natural nail tech. I don't want to work in a salon for someone else. I want to be in control of what money I earn,what clients I have and what hours I do. Why would I want to work for peanuts in a salon for someone else when I can build my own business up and continue on to open my own salon and not build someone else business up.

Having your own business is hard especially when mobile. Lugging all equipment round the city.

Are you seriously saying this? I'm gobsmacked!

Can we close this thread please before any fights break out....

Seriuosly saying what. See youre young, you cant engage in conversation and debate and have to turn to violence. Would hate to be one of your clients making a complaint.

Some people don't want to work that includes all ages not just young people.

Indeed it does. They are the 3rd generation of the great unwashed, who were once the 16-25 year olds who didnt want to work.

There is so many people going for the same jobs these days it's so hard to even get an email or a phone call to say you were unsuccessful, I have a good friend who works for recruitment and she said that for every job there is at least 200 people going for that 1 job.

People are going to university to get degrees etc and even they struggle to get a job at a supermarket!

My mum owns her own cleaning business and the amount of phone calls she gets of people 16-25 asking if she has any vacancies, everyone who works for her is under 25!

You have no idea what it's like in these times not been able to get a job, you just listen to what the news and government say, who also don't have a clue.

If you experienced not been able to get a job, you'd have a different view.

The majority of people who are on benefits were I live, choose to be unemployed have a new child when one reaches 18 so they can still get money for them, they are the people that should be called lazy, not us

Last edited:
You have no idea what it's like in these times not been able to get a job, you just listen to what the news and government say, who also don't have a clue.

If you experienced not been able to get a job, you'd have a different view.

I go into the job centre and see numerous menial jobs on offer. These are there week after week. So youre saying we dont have a problem with 16-25 year olds not wanting to work. Now the EMA has stopped lets see how much the college enrolment drops. I know for a fact that some only went to college for the EMA. Im actually all for it stopping. If someone wants to go to college then they will go, they shouldnt be bribed to massage unemployment figures. The country cant afford to pay kids to go to college who dont really want to go.

I go into the job centre and see numerous menial jobs on offer. These are there week after week.

Why would you be going in to the job centre if you have a job?
Like I said for every job at least 200 people apply.
When jobs have gone they are still advertised on job centre, I've rang and been told this when I've applied.

People would rather apply for jobs instead of going college because they can study for years and end up with no job or not a job they studied for. Which is very disheartening.
You can still get ema and now a bursery, you never needed qualifications back in the day and tbh studying for things nowadays doesn't garrentee you a job.

Last edited:
Why would you be going in to the job centre if you have a job?
Like I said for every job at least 200 people apply.
When jobs have gone they are still advertised on job centre, I've rang and been told this when I've applied.

Because i wrok near one. On my liunch hour i sometimes pop in to see what is going on in the world, as i want to see for myself and dont believe everything i hear on the news. And you know what, they are never busy!!

When ever I go past the 2 near me, it's always packed of people and they are all young.

When I used to go in you'd have to wait at least an hour to see someone because they was always busy.

Seriuosly saying what. See youre young, you cant engage in conversation and debate and have to turn to violence. Would hate to be one of your clients making a complaint.

Actually your post was deleted before I managed to quote it successfully. You're accusing people of not declaring their earnings. That is a massive accusation.

I think Pinkbunny was referring the post you thankfully saw fit to delete, ;)

Debate and discussion is a good thing and we are all entitled to our views, but we also need to respect each others views.

It is never a good thing to generalise, which is how this thread started tarring all young people with the same brush.
I for one have been very impressed with the passion and work ethic of a lot of young geeks posting on this thread.

I think the lazy 'Jeremy Kyle' section of society irrespective of age gets way too much attention and publicity, when the vast majority of people are good decent, and hardworking (if given the chance).

We don't discuss politics on here as it does get peoples danders up, but I will say that I lived through the last Tory rule when unemployment went through the roof and the gap between rich and poor got wider and wider.
I thought we had seen the last of it, but it is all starting again, and a lot of decent young people with good education either at College or University are being left on the scrapheap.

It is heartbreaking to see young people send out CV after CV to jobs they are actually overqualified for and not even get a reply.

I do agree with the majority of posters here that the OP needs to widen her view of society and maybe stop reading the Daily Mail :eek:

Last edited:

There we go been put in to a category again. We get aload of crap for wanting to be successful and you get knife and gun crime they should be issues everyone's ranting about not about someone having a job.

I've been reading through this thread and I'm astonished by the narrow minded attitude of the OP. I'm 45 years old and have 3 children. One is at university, working so hard she is making herself ill. One who works around 50 hours a week in a children's nursery and one studying for his A levels, who has worked in a pub washing up 2 nights a week for 2 years earning NMW. Are they lazy?

I was in a teaching job which I hated, so I retrained (short courses) and set up a small home salon. I do nails, tans, waxing and Reflexology (not a short course). I opened in January and my prices are set sensibly but not to undercut competitors. I am building a healthy client base through hard work. If I was 18 and doing this, would I be classed as lazy?

I have looked through the OP's previous threads to get feel for where she is coming from, and I notice the majority are extremely angry, targeted at 'the state of the beauty industry' and 'under cutting salons' etc. It strikes me that the OP is the one with issues, not the youth of today.

Last edited:
Actually your post was deleted before I managed to quote it successfully. You're accusing people of not declaring their earnings. That is a massive accusation.

NO I DID NOT. THATS A LIE. I said 'i hope you are'. I suggest you get your facts right.

SO WHY ARE YOU PUTTING DOWN "YOUNG ONES' WHO WANT TO BE SELF EMPLOYED AND SUCCESSFUL AND MAKE SOME MONEY FOR THEMSELVES!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

NO I DID NOT. THATS A LIE. I said 'i hope you are'. I suggest you get your facts right.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like to discuss this further as you have upset me, and possibly some others, enough today.

Also, please stop speaking down to me. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back