Controversial!! The youth of today.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked through the OP's previous threads to get feel for where she is coming from, and I notice the majority are extremely angry, targeted at 'the state of the beauty industry' and 'under cutting salons' etc. It strikes me that the OP is the one with issues, not the youth of today.

Yes i am angry at bthe state of the industry as it is being ruined. I do have issues with the youth of today. Look at the figures. Even before the recession, the number of 16-25 year olds out of work was rising and the highest it had been. There are now 3 generations of the great unwashed who were once those 16-25 year olds.

Could we stop shouting on this thread please, proper discussion and debate does not require it, so caps lock off please!

As the poster says Keep calm, and carry on!

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like to discuss this further as you have upset me, and possibly some others, enough today.

Also, please stop speaking down to me. Thank you.

Im not speaking down to you. must be your age lol.

Yes i am angry at bthe state of the industry as it is being ruined. I do have issues with the youth of today. Look at the figures. Even before the recession, the number of 16-25 year olds out of work was rising and the highest it had been. There are now 3 generations of the great unwashed who were once those 16-25 year olds.

The great unwashed? Can you explain exactly what you mean by that?

Is your business successful? If so, why are you so upset?

The last thing we want is to have to close yet another thread which has gone off topic and become mud slinging!

I just wish everyone would concentrate on their own businesses and stop worrying about what others are doing.

Here's my view, in every trade now there are people young & old going it alone, who wouldn't want to keep the money they earn for themselves?

People who are good at their jobs will thrive & the rubbish ones will fail.

I disagree that there are not enough customers to go around as clients come & go anyway it's up to you to make them want to stay with you, it's called "free will" you can't own a person.

My next point people may not agree with, however when I started working it was through the YTS training scheme, younger geeks may not know about this, & although it may have been flawed in some ways it was, I feel, a good thing as every school leaver who wanted to had a job.
Any job they fancied regardless of qualifications, as you were trained in your chosen profession.
I know the wages weren't great but you learned from the bottom up.
Now there is nothing so what do people do, they train in their courses & get off their backsides & do it for themselves.
I'm struggling here to see how that's a bad thing, as i've said the good will do well the rubbish ones will fail.

Rather than getting on our high horses about so & so up the road doing treatments for a fiver, concentrate on our own businesses & being as good at our jobs as we can be.
I've worked in salon's where the negativity is seeping out of the walls it's grim & clients notice it too!

Let's all give each other a break here xx

Xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Reading through your previous posts in other topics you seem very bitter at the thought of new salons being opened and new therapists going mobile.

If you are that bothered, put all your energy into your own business so your clients don't go elsewhere
- to these other therapists you dislike so much instead of insulting people.

Just a reminder - if your post is specifically aimed at one person rather than the debate in general, then take it to PM!

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like to discuss this further as you have upset me, and possibly some others, enough today.

Also, please stop speaking down to me. Thank you.

Hope your ok, I found her posts very rude to you. I wouldn't worrie about it. I'll prefer to be your client than hers anyday! X

I think everyone is entitled to there own opinion but i assume i am classed as a youngster at 21 but i would just like to point out that were not all lazy lol i did 4yrs of beauty (including holistics) at college i worked in a salon for 3yrs partly whilst studiying and yr after..

Exactly a year ago i started my own business and started renting a room and have absolutely worked my backside off and things are going fab.. I recently have saved enough to take on dermalogica and st tropez.. Currently i havent had a day off for 11days and work late nights.. Im workin till 6.30pm tonite!!

So im not saying that what you sed isnt correct as i can see where your coming from completely but were not all the same :):) i may be young but im very hard working and very determined.. :)

Maybe the 'young ones' go mobile as they have bills to pay & can't make a living working in a salon for minimum wage.

this is the reason for me.

I don't see why Id want to work in a salon earning £6 odd an hour when I can earn 10 times as much as that in an hour working for myself!

I'm certainly not lazy either... far from it.

I just use my common sense & do what works better for me. which isn't working in a salon x

Last edited:
Hope your ok, I found her posts very rude to you. I wouldn't worrie about it. I'll prefer to be your client than hers anyday! X

Haha yes I'm fine thank you :)

I'd just like to say that the OP does have a point in some things but the way you have gone about voicing your opinions is sadly quite rude.

On a more positive note: look at how many of us are young and kicking this recessions backside! :D proud of us all x

i think i remember being young once upon a time and starting my own business .:) anyway it's a free country, if anyone thinks they are good enough to have a go at running their own business fair play to them. sure if they're good enough at what they do they 'll succeed , we all had to start somewhere.

Seriuosly saying what. See youre young, you cant engage in conversation and debate and have to turn to violence. Would hate to be one of your clients making a complaint.

Really don't think there's any need to be derogatory and rude to someone who is just trying to have a say...

Indeed it does. They are the 3rd generation of the great unwashed, who were once the 16-25 year olds who didnt want to work.

Another sweeping generalisation...unless you know the situation of every single unemployed person i don't think its your place to be stereotyping and name calling...

I have to say...if you're wondering why "young ones" don't want to work in salons it is more than likely to avoid having bosses that speak to young people the way you do... no need, just because we have time on our side does not mean you have the right to speak down to us..

Just a reminder - if your post is specifically aimed at one person rather than the debate in general, then take it to PM!

I take it this post is invisible for some reason!

Yes it is, but lets decompose it a little. Its all well and good for you to run your own business if you are qualified, suitably trained and have the ability to do so (unless youre just going to run it and not do treatments). But.....im sick and tired of reading posts from people who have just come out of college and want to go it alone, because 'hey im qualified'. But then they come on here asking basic questions about nails, waxing, tanning etc. If they had bothered to work in a salon first, they would have ralised its not like it is in college. They could iron out all there problems and gain invaluable interpersonal skills at the same time. No they dont want to work in salon because they are know alls and dont like being told what to do. I know because ive been there with newly qualified BT, and they didnt last 2 minutes. The reason there arent any salon jobs going is because there isnt the clientele out there like there used to be, s we are in a recession and the market is saturated. Im lucky as ive been established a long time and have a very loyal clientele and staff. But then again i pay well above NMW. Ive seen salons come and go near me. As for employing someone, and its a double edged sword, i would never employ someone who had always been mobile and never worked in a salon, no matter how good they were.

My god daughter is 20 and has worked in a salon since she left college, she is the most polite, hardworking young girl, far from being a know all, she struggled to get a salon job and was very lucky she was given the chance, if it hadnt of happened her mother was pushing her to go mobile so she could earn some money and not be out of a job, these young girls may have no choice but to go mobile.

Wow this is like shooting fish in a barrell. I'm starting my next book soon, its called 'how to win friends and influence people'. Anyway my social experiment is now over and i have all the information i need. Thanks Geeks and no hard feelings towards anyone :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back