Controversial Topic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OLD SPICE with a bald spot, where the tape has been removed.

Last edited:
I must admit my mates gave me a right ribbing when I told them I intended to leave my previous job to go into the beauty industry...

Several years down the line, however, and these are the same mates who now ask me for skincare advice when they think no-one else is listening :D

Andy x

A client once told me that her daughter did some beauty training then decided to get a "proper job" :eek: it just made me chuckle as she probably realised how challenging it actually is so quit the course! :lol:

I don't worry what people think of my job as I am too busy laughing at them for working in an office!

My beauty therapist had a surgeon in for massage the other week, he was well impressed with her a&p knowledge, he didn't think she was a bimbo/numpty etc

Perchance it's the way we are selling ourselves?

Ok, before I pose the question, this isn't MY opinion, it's the opinion of a lot of people and based on fact. Here we go...........

Why is it that even though most beauty therapists are qualified and have studied at college for 2 to 3 years, the general public view beauty therapists as being thick or in a job that they wouldn't be proud to say their own kids do?

Before you all start screaming 'I'm not thick' or 'My mum's proud of me'..........read the question again.

Because they think we are bimbos who can't retain any information further than the price of washing powder??
About my third week at college a lad of about 17 pulled me outside, I felt really proud wearing my uniform for the first time, and he said "You must do beauty cos your really bootiful" I said "no I'm doing nails so watch it or I'll claw your eyes out.....and by the way are you studying to be a brain surgeon?...no.... you don't look like one of those doctors from Casualty"
It shut him up if nothing else.
My motto is let them think what the hell they like:)

I think one of the reasons is money. Lawyers and bankers etc have to get degree's and earn big big bucks. Beauty therapists don't earn as much, its a much lower paid position so that must mean its for stupid people.

Also here in the UK it is different, training in the US for example is very different and much more controlled by legislation. It is seen as a much more skilled position I guess.

I think the industry is partly to blame for it, driving down prices = driving down wages = driving down experience levels.

Mat

How many other people earn as much PER HOUR as self employed beauticians/nailtechs?
Thats certainly one way to look at this.

Why is it that even though most beauty therapists are qualified and have studied at college for 2 to 3 years, the general public view beauty therapists as being thick or in a job that they wouldn't be proud to say their own kids do?

Its not just beauty therapists any one who is seen to work with their hands is judged as thick:rolleyes: and no one seems to see the inconsistency that says you work with your hands, because you are too stupid to study but Michael Angelo and Constable are geniuses :smack:

its a funny one isnt it, i remember when i was in college doing beauty, and i didnt realise it at the time of joining but beauty and hair wer always deemed the 'drop outs course' and to this day im not sure why, because the entry requirements were no less than other courses like mechanics, cheffing etc.
i think it must be the whole girls doing hair and make up thing, its the only thing i can think of.... i hope there are more dippy blonde beauty therapists and hairdressers than there are dippy blond brain surgeons tho :lol:

Oh yes..btw previous to this my last college thing was as an ARTIST........
where I looked sooooooooooooo coooooooooooool lol
Actually me and my mate were always jealous of the beauty students:lol:
They were all ''''''''''''''''
YEP
We were sooooooooooo jealous.
Ah well:)
..what goes around comes back around.....
Oh I Do hope so:lol::lol::lol:

Wow, I never knew that this school of thought exsisted. I've always viewed us in the beauty industry (nails, hair, skin, etc.) as being very smart and creative.

If people only knew the depths of studying you must do for each, they wouldn't think us thick at all!

BrowQueen, I can't say I've ever felt that in my profession. However, I do know that beauty therapy is promoted as a 'trade' in schools and looked on as a 'gap year' job or 'secondary to university'.

But I agree with the others who say it's usually those who know very little about the industry who are judging.

Personally, the question I find myself asking is:

Why is CIDESCO deemed the penultimate qualification by certain elements in the industry when it is not recognised as a stand alone qualification in Australia as it does not adhere to specified competencies required for an Australian Diploma?

(I ask this question a bit because I want to work in Europe one day).

Ok, before I pose the question, this isn't MY opinion, it's the opinion of a lot of people and based on fact. Here we go...........

Before you all start screaming 'I'm not thick' or 'My mum's proud of me'..........read the question again.
hi kimmy, just a quicky that i think is relative, havent read the rest of the posts yet..heres my story...it was my 12 year olds graduation a month ago, the kids were all saying what they wanted to be in front of a large audience. one girl said she wanted to be a makeup artist..she later recieved a important award for top marks. The headmistress piped up an announced this girl wasnt going to be just a "beautician".

even now you still dont need a GCSEs to get onto NVQ at collge. To do a BTEC you need a couple of C's i think.

I came out of school having already secured a place in colege in the january. I also came out of school with ten B grade GCSs and one A. That was better than most of my peers who were going to 'King Edwards' which is basically a top posh college in brum.

Fast forward 7 years, im alot hapier ad more well off than most. I am not in huge amounts of student debt only to be left with a qualification that gets me no further, and most of all i LOVE my job and i LOVE running my own business.

I wouldnt switch for the world!

(I ask this question a bit because I want to work in Europe one day).

oh hun, im sure theres hundreds of us that would swap with you in a flash!

I would say that most people who think like this are doing it from a position of ignorance of the degree of training, knowledge and skill that goes into it? They might think it's just a matter of wielding a hairdryer, a file or a pot of cream and you can become proficient in days? :lol:

Those who actually enter these professions know differently. It's no push over career and takes real dedication over a long period of time to hone your skills to the point where you're worthy of hire.

Never mind, those that can do it have the advantage. It's the others who are the ones having to pay and have you listen, whilst complaining about the lack of their job satisfaction! :)

Have to say that a beauty therapist self employed can earn an excellent salary. My old "career" job was a good salary, company car, but I hated it, it made me depressed, stressed and so unhappy. Going into this industry is the best thing I did!

If I promoted my business really well and worked 40 hours a week I'd be on a double the salary I was and not having to fetch coffee for some horrible overweight director (and probably nackered from all the massage and carting the table around lol but it keeps you fit)

That beauty school program had all the stereo types on- uber blonde and uber fake tanned.

One of my clients (who at the time had changed her hair colour from blonde to brown) started to call me a 'right dumb blonde' to her friend.

I thought that was unfair - I was only about 22 at the time working for myself, and yet she, worked in a canteen.

However, the karma goes - I am happy with everything I could possibly want in life (I am easily pleased) and she is ageing rapidly and still on her own...see what calling me does!!! LOL

To be honest all the thick lasses from my school went to collage to do beauty! Most of them have 2-3 kids now (age 22-23) and 50% have a drug prob! and 99% of them have never worked a day in there life and are now on the dole!!! I think what it is in my area if you do crap at school and know you dont want a job you go to collage and do beauty!

I wish i done beauty from leaving school but then i might have fell into one of the above cattergories...

Latest posts

Back