Controversial Topic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Ok, before I pose the question, this isn't MY opinion, it's the opinion of a lot of people and based on fact. Here we go...........

Why is it that even though most beauty therapists are qualified and have studied at college for 2 to 3 years, the general public view beauty therapists as being thick or in a job that they wouldn't be proud to say their own kids do?

Before you all start screaming 'I'm not thick' or 'My mum's proud of me'..........read the question again.

I suspect it is because historically, along with hairdressing, nails, working in a shop etc it was something you could do with no academic qualifications. It was certainly the case when I left school.

Hiya - this is a good one.
I think the whole issue around Beauty Therapists being thick is historical. Some families assumed that if their children were not intelligent enough - they had to do things like hairdressing, beauty and other related things. So there is a stigma attached to this. SOME other families whose children were doing well at a private school etc and then became doctors seemed to be the ones who were mostly recogonised.

To me, all the above is nonsense and I guess also choice about what you want to do. I have all the educational qualifications to a Masters degree to work in an office. Have I enjoyed it, h*ll no!

Guess which qualifications and experience I am very proud of, my nail and beauty ones!

BBC1 did a survey and found that hair and beauty people are most likely to buy drinks when they go out, in comparison to people who earn 60 and 70 grand a year! Soooo, we are the happy bunch!:hug:

they did a survey to see who is the happiest in their jobs, and hairdressers come up top don't they.

beauty therapists and the like are in a beauty dominated world, ie, of course we are going to be taking an interest in our make up , nails hair and clothes, its all tied in with our jobs, and how we look, says alot about what we do , and how well, in my opinion.
people tend to think pretty girls are not quite upto the mark when it comes to brains,
but someone who has no interest in how they look,how nice their hair and nails are wouldnt nessecerily be in our industry would they ?
I have just asked my other half and he said people in our lines of work just "dont look very academic" :eek::)lmao.
I guess I just dont look very clever then lol xx

Mmmm....Does the general public think this then...?...still...?

IMO i think these "thick" comments are based on nothing more than the aged old theory that if your blond your dumb, and that if your in beauty, you must be blonde....or at least look a certain way. Its all just ignorance. Like saying everyone who wears glasses must be clever.

Ever heard that saying ...you cant have both good looks and brains.....and have you ever looked at someone and thought....he looks really intelectual.....neither is true....you cant base someones mental knowledge on how they look.

You see one girl walking down the street...all made up, heels, tight jeans and cropped top.........next girl....long skirt, ruffle blouse, baggy scarf round her neck and specs.....but instantly people think the made up heels girl must be less clever than the scarf loving gal............see clothes and appearance really do speak volumes....but the volume can be wrong. Thats why its important to see beyond what people wear, the car they drive and the house they own....becouse people also assume that anyone living in a council house must be rough, drive a porsh and you must be posh.....its all material c**p and i hate it.

All the important stuff is on the inside, and you only get to see that when you know that person.

There thats me done !!......:lol:

many don't understand the qualifications
their contact with the beauty world is the avon lady and other homebrands
and what Adele said
MOst people that look down on the industry are not clients, they are uneducated outsiders looking in and judging

many don't understand the qualifications
their contact with the beauty world is the avon lady and other homebrands
and what Adele said
MOst people that look down on the industry are not clients, they are uneducated outsiders looking in and judging

I agree, I don't think our clients think we're thick

Although I have been known to have the odd blonde moment:green:

I think the perception from some of the public is that hairdressers, beauty therapists etc are too stupid to get into uni and study 'real' subjects.
I know that when I've spoken to people about what Ive had to study they are shocked. Like OMG it took that long? Why? And also the course fees. I'm sure most think it only costs a couple hundred dollars to become a massage therapist. When I tell them how much I shelled out for the course which I had to pay for by working 4 jobs, they're shocked.

But then again there is the perception that chiropractors are akin to massage therapists. When I tell people that chiropractors official titles is 'Doctor of Chiropractics' and study for 4 years they are shocked.

Same goes for Librarians . The number of people over the years who can't believe you have to go to uni for 4 years to be a librarian is astonishing.

It's just that the general public need to be educated themselves as to what goes into what we do.

I've had several conversations with clients over the years where they've expressed their anger/dismay/disappointment that their daughter has said that she wants to be a beauty therapist. They would then get a filthy look from the BROW BITCH ........and then they'd start peddling backwards in their little fake UGG boots.

Last edited:
This kind of attitude really annoys me, I had an instance of it the other month when I was out shopping, I met a old school friend who I hadn't seen in years and she asked me what I was doing so I told her I had my own business doing nail enhancements and treatments and she just looked at me with a blank look. She than said," Just nails? All you do is paint people's nails? That must be really easy" :eek:

On the flip side of that I have clients who really apreciate what I do and realise the amount of training that goes into the whole process.

I know that some people will always think that what we do is a no-brainer job, I try not to let them bother me. I am proud of what I do and love when I make a client feel good about about themselves.

Great thread Kim :)

IMO i think these "thick" comments are based on nothing more than the aged old theory that if your blond your dumb, and that if your in beauty, you must be blonde....or at least look a certain way. Its all just ignorance. Like saying everyone who wears glasses must be clever.

Thats me totally screwed then, I'm blonde, wear glasses and "do" nails :lol::lol::lol:

i agree with everything people have said and want to add that like bagpuss.....people always judge by the way you look....not what is inside....and i am afraid that is how people are now....
they would rather be in debt than have to save cos they want to be better than the next person....
bring back the old fashioned rules...
children should be seen and not heard...
beauty is from within...
dont judge a book by its cover....
thats me over and out.:lol:

Do you know - I was once invited to a 'rap' party up here with a few of our northern stars (lol) and I wouldnt go because I felt I couldnt say what I did and be proud of it (inferiority complex) - I thought if I said 'Im a beauty therapist and do nails' I would have been looked down on. (it was a long time ago tho)

But Im good at what I do - why did I feel like that and assume people would think I was thick?? (Im blonde too - so that doesnt help my cause - Im also pretty shy and get a bit tongue tied - unless I have had a drink then Im a complete gob****e).

Sorry all - I feel like I have let us all down lol.

Anyway my friend worked really hard through school and went to uni etc and after a few years of doing her job she said she wished she had done something like me - and been happy in her job. That was when I realised that I had made the right choice and it didnt matter that I wasnt super intelligent...Im middle of the road. Im happy!!!

I've had several conversations with clients over the years where they've expressed their anger/dismay/disappointment that their daughter has said that she wants to be a beauty therapist. They would then get a filthy look from the BROW BITCH ........and then they'd start peddling backwards in their little fake UGG boots.

Yeah Kim, this reminds me of about 3 yrs ago in our salon.I was carrying out a manicure on one of my regulars friends,who was on holiday in the UK from Australia(I think)She was English though,just emigrated some years previous.

Anyway,the new client was chatting away to me and asked me if I had any children,to which I replied "yes,I have three",she then went on to ask me what the kids did,2 were at school but my eldest was at college doing her level 2 NVQ in beauty.

Client looked at me and said"well,if she's not very academic,that's probably the best thing for her to do":mad:Her friend that was sat in reception(regular client)sat their with a look of absolute horror.

I was ruddy livid and had to act professional and choose my reply carefully,but boy did I want to rip her to shreads,cheeky cow,not to mention sooooo out of touch,these idiots think all we do is paint nails all day and play with make up,they can do it with no qualifications so it must be easy,in their opinion.

I dont think it's as common for people to think this now though,but sadly there are still some that do,usually the same ones that call us beauticians.....arrrrgh I hate that word.:lol:

I tend to agree that people think you aren't very intelligent, but I've been in all kinds of job and nothing makes me happier than this one.It's a creative job and not everyone has that creativity to make it work. So sod them all if they think we are thick lol, we do a fab job at making people look and feel fab!!

I had just been through a horrible divorce, and had started this fantabulous career.
My eldest sister assured me that it was just a Cosmetology license and ANYbody could get one.
My ex decided to ditch the children and not pay child support.
I had to feed them, thus the beginning of my beauty career.
I had to dig deep a time or two and more, to pay for advanced education.
It came together and 7 years ago I ventured out and bought a little hole in the wall business.
One of my more educated clients, gave me the talk a while ago about how “MY people” can only provide service work.
All this coming from an educated female, she told me that her synophrys was going to stay because her dad has one too.
To each her own.
I had to ask, because I have minimal college education what she meant.
O.K. I charge her more, just because she tries to give me headaches.
My eldest sister works her 4 year degree job, complains all the time about how much she hates her job. She earns much less than I do.
My educated, encouraging, psychologist client has to work on holidays, and overtime and she too complains.
I have to admit, this career has been good for myself and my family. I wouldn’t have it other way.

I do encourage my daughters to continue their education.

One has been doing nails for 4 years the other hair for 2.
My youngest said she could never put up with servicing the public and she is in college/biochemist major. She got a close up view on how people treat people.
Maybe she’ll invent something to help me keep my mouth shut.
Duct tape falls off after a few hours.

hey ... alot of us on here run and own our business....cant be that thick can we..:lol:

I think this is even more of a reason to be as professional as possible...and not to be push overs...xx

Ohhh and i also remember going for a job in fleet car sales....nothing great but they made it up with a snazzy title and your own office, perks..etc. There was two of us for this interview...myself and a more mature, more shapely lady. we where both interviewed by the same 2 men....and i got the job.

On my first day i was told by other staff members that i only got the job cos they wanted some eye candy...!! so i made it my mission to be the best i could and prove them wrong, i was no candy floss head and although i am not the cleverest person i am a good problem solver and i am good with people. (nothing wrong with knowing your strengths as well as your weaknesses). I did eventually get the respect i deserved.

Just cos someone makes a 5 minute assumption of you, doesn't mean you cant prove them wrong and change there opinion of you.

Last edited:
Maybe she’ll invent something to help me keep my mouth shut.
Duct tape falls off after a few hours.

Apparently if you wrap it around a few times it stays put longer or so my ex hubby tells me :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back