Coronavirus advice for beauty therapists updated 17th March

House Beauty

Hi Beauties,

The below seems to have been helpful as I’ve seen a fair few of you using it. Glad you’ve been taking precautions.

Now that we are further into this, I thought I’d update you on my personal choice to stop working. I have got asthma and autoimmune, and have now been isolating for 9 days. I will be doing this for as long as it takes. My partner is home working and we discussed our finances. For us, our health is non-negotiable. We can pay our mortgage and for food and into savings so we can still pay the mortgage if he was to get sick. I appreciate we are very lucky and many won’t be able to do this until more action has been taken by our government.

While my below advice was fine when we had a few cases, even a few hundred, now we have 1950, which will be double that in 5 days judging by the spread everywhere else. Now I personally believe that if we are able to step back, with support from our families, we should be. Of course I have health worries so this puts me in a different situation that many. But this does not change what the outcome of this disease can and will be for many people - lifelong lung disease. Difficulty breathing for the rest of their lives. I think if I was in prime health I still wouldn’t be risking it.

I’m hearing from many therapists that clients have been pretending they are well and then showing signs of symptoms halfway through a service. I even have a friend that’s had a cough for a while going out to get her haircut yesterday after I told her not to. She won’t be the first or last.

The government has put new plans out there (see latest threads about this and watch the video of the house of commons for a clearer idea). These plans include mortgage payments, with plans for renters being researched and planned next. They also include masses of loans and rate relief for businesses, even small ones.

Whilst I am self employed I strongly recommend to salon owners to look into this new plan immediately and how to access the funds you need. At least research how you can close your business while still paying your staff. Cineworld just closed as they have lost business and can’t pay the debts as customers not going to cinema and have shut all of their cinemas because of the virus. Im confident this will keep happening and we are next.

Employees, read as much as you can about what this means for you, your rights and how your boss is protecting you.

Now the virus is in the thousands, asking about holidays and illness..personally I think whilst this still must be done absolutely if you are still
working..however now we come to what’s next after that.

The rules about pubs and restaurants, great. Stop big masses of people going out and spreading it. Fantastic. But nothing to stop those people that are infected and without symptoms nipping to get their nails done and giving it to their therapist - who would then be seeing for some up to 70 or more a week or even more if you include all the other therapists clients in the building. A smaller one man band maybe 15-50. That means if you could it you can spread it to all those people. A woman in Korea was symptomless and was responsible for 80% of the cases for the whole country. Every person you see is going home to a family. If they can’t protect themselves, we must.

I have put it to Rishi Sunak the chancellor and my MP Andrew Selous that they need to put some time into helping our industry, because:

************the CDC advises contact of no less than 6ft social distancing. Massaging or cutting hair is not social distancing. Direct contact goes against the CDCs advice.***********

Write to your MP and Rishi! We need to get our voices heard.

This is inevitable, and this will be put out there just like it was for pubs, and leave us all in a panic. No other countries with lockdowns have people going to get their nails done or etc.

Plan your exit strategy now. Make these decisions your own. Don’t wait for it to be demanded of you.

The disease is aerosolised so the droplets are spread not just through coughs and sneezes and surfaces and hands but through breathing and when you speak. They fall into hair and clothes and it can’t be prevented with putting tools in barbicide. Our main transmission to be concerned about is usually tools but this is droplets that can get through surgical masks. If you have them, still use them as they will give you some protection but on you AND the client where possible.

Love & Beauty,

Hollie

Hi Beauties,

Now that the virus has been officially announced as a pandemic, I have been prepared since January and want to help out others as much as I can. I have previously been sending out reminder emails to clients to inform them:

•I will be wearing my PPE glasses (goggles), masks and gloves from their arrival to their leaving rather than suiting up when they are here.

•They are to wash their hands on arrival for 20secs.

•They are to sneeze and cough only into tissues provided.

Rather than scaring them, they have responded really positively and are just as scared so happy we both wash our hands and both wear a mask to protect each other.

Whilst I am in the fortunate position to be able to up and stop working as soon as it is called for, presumably for me next week, I appreciate that many aren’t this lucky and have businesses, employees and families to support.

To keep yourself safe at the moment is your priority. By extension this includes your family and employees. Your clients are important too, however we know from experience that not all clients will be honest about their whereabouts and will infect some of us. This means other clients and staff would then be at risk.

To feel safe and protect yourself, if this means texting every single client and member of staff before they visit the following questionnaire, then absolutely do so.

I followed the advice from Jing as I have many clients that work on airlines and in such high risk areas that frankly as an immunocompromised individual who also has asthma, recently recovered from another respiratory disease and cares for elderly relatives, I simply cannot afford to take any chances.

Pre-Visit Questionnaire

1. Have you visited any of the following countries in the last 14 days (please follow link to check)?

2. Are you currently experiencing any flu like symptoms, no matter how mild – cough, fever, shortness of breath?

3. Have you been in an area with/had contact with a positive case OR suspected/untested case of the virus?

Please notify us by text if you feel at all unwell no matter how mildly and to cancel if you have answered yes to any of these questions. This is a tough time for everyone and we must protect each other. You are welcome to ask us any questions you need answering in order to feel safe too as your safety is important to us.’

Being kind and caring and encouraging rebooking after isolation/14 days/after any further developments have arisen and recovered, get in touch to ask how they are doing if they haven’t been able to come in.

However, should ANYONE come in experiencing cough, shortness of breath or fever, you are well within your rights (you are the boss of you!), to send them home. Reiterate that illness of any kind is a contraindication to all beauty treatments and that by treating them you would be doing them a disservice. It’s unlikely anyone would right now as everyone is scared to cough in public now but you never know.

If they ask you if they should come in as they feel ‘ok’ with a mild cough.. say no. I’ve had two cancellations today and the only thing I am feeling about it is happy and relieved because having someone ill on your table is never not a concern and right now, it’s not just a few weeks or even months of business income at stake - it’s the chance of ongoing lung damage in the form of honeycomb, stiff lungs, with pulmonary fibrosis from the scarring which itself carries a high risk of cancer. Liver damage and gastrointestinal damage. No matter your age.

Hope this helps anyone struggling or worrying that is in the same boat.

If you can add to this thread with any further advice, please do!!

Last edited:

Tupelo

Hi, I’m really worried about going to college, I’m studying L2 beauty at the moment and we are currently doing facials. I live my 69-year-old dad who has asbestosis and my two-year-old daughter. College have assured me that they are following procedures, but I don’t understand how doing a facial on somebody you hardly know can be safe, considering we are told to restrict close contact. I’m even contemplating postponing my course. But until when..? Any help or advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated xx

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
Hi, I’m really worried about going to college, I’m studying L2 beauty at the moment and we are currently doing facials. I live my 69-year-old dad who has asbestosis and my two-year-old daughter. College have assured me that they are following procedures, but I don’t understand how doing a facial on somebody you hardly know can be safe, considering we are told to restrict close contact. I’m even contemplating postponing my course. But until when..? Any help or advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated xx
No-one can give you a definite answer as this has never happened before and we're all fumbling around in the dark. The impact on college students, children about to take their A Levels, GCSE's etc. is all unknown. This affects college intakes, university allocations, etc. So far, these issues are way down the list of situations that need addressing immediately but I'm sure they will be at some point when the world gets back under control.

If I were in your situation, especially with your Dad's issues I would be self isolating.

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
All education establishments are closed in Ireland.
I’m appalled that they‘ve not followed suit in the UK and I’m worried for my grandson over there.

If it were me, I’d withdraw from the course but do what feels right for you and your family. You can always return to college at a later date.

Tupelo

No-one can give you a definite answer as this has never happened before and we're all fumbling around in the dark. The impact on college students, children about to take their A Levels, GCSE's etc. is all unknown. This affects college intakes, university allocations, etc. So far, these issues are way down the list of situations that need addressing immediately but I'm sure they will be at some point when the world gets back under control.

If I were in your situation, especially with your Dad's issues I would be self isolating.
Thank you for your reply. Every part of me is saying stay home, I think maybe for a couple of weeks at least , that’s the best thing to do.
Thanks again xx

Eli-B-x

Thank you for your reply. Every part of me is saying stay home, I think maybe for a couple of weeks at least , that’s the best thing to do.
Thanks again xx
Hey! I have taken the decision to stop college for the time being. My son has scarred lungs and my family have health conditions. For me, it isn't worth the risk of continuing college. I've taken my son out of school too. I'd rather no qualification than potentially putting my family at risk of this awful virus.
Do what's best for you ❤

2poniesmary

Social Media Geek
I’m appalled that they‘ve not followed suit in the UK and I’m worried for my grandson over there.

If it were me, I’d withdraw from the course but do what feels right for you and your family. You can always return to college at a later date.
Rumour is that schools will close on Friday and bring the Easter break forward by two weeks.

2poniesmary

Social Media Geek
Thanks again xx
I think you made the right decision. Fact is that if you're feeling worried and stressed about what's going on, then you're not going to be having a great learning experience. I'm sure you won't be the only one who has done this. Far better to wait and pick up again when this has blown over. Good luck :)

Tupelo

Hey! I have taken the decision to stop college for the time being. My son has scarred lungs and my family have health conditions. For me, it isn't worth the risk of continuing college. I've taken my son out of school too. I'd rather no qualification than potentially putting my family at risk of this awful virus.
Do what's best for you ❤
Thank you, I have decided not to go back to college at the moment. Thank you for your reply I hope you stay safe and well. xx

Tupelo

I think you made the right decision. Fact is that if you're feeling worried and stressed about what's going on, then you're not going to be having a great learning experience. I'm sure you won't be the only one who has done this. Far better to wait and pick up again when this has blown over. Good luck :)
Thank you

Tupelo

ciderella71

It’s awful! My daughter’s university closed but the schools haven’t so I’ve taken my kids out of school.