Coronavirus and renting chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hiya just looking a bit of advise or to see what everyone thinks. I own a Salon and rent a chair to three girls. If I have to close the salon due to the Coronavirus when it’s out of my hands, do the girls still need to pay their rent. My rent and other salon bills will still need paid so should theirs? Any advise would be great x

I rent a chair and have been thinking about this myself.

If the salon is closed then I cant make an income, even if I was happy to see clients. So I dont feel that.i should have to pay my rent. However, you are right, my salon still has costs to cover.

I haven't spoken to my salon yet regarding this, but I think I'd be unhappy to pay money for a service that I cannot access, and as I am not incurring costs for the salon (I provide ALL of my tools, products and resources other than electricity and water) I dont feel it would be fair.

I would also question the profitability of my salon as a business if my chair rental is the thing that makes or break their bottom line.

All of that may not apply to your business. If you run your premises primarily as a self employed/rental centre than you may need to consider another opinion.
What do your contracts say about closure?

I personally think if they can't operate based on your closure then they don't pay rent. You wouldn't pay house rent for a house you couldn't live in.

Do you pay rent for 52 weeks for example if you go away ?

On their contract it says if their sick or on holidays rent still needs to be paid. My solicitor says it’s up to me if I want to charge them rent when on their holidays.

If some is sick or takes a holiday, they’re choosing not to come to the salon.
However, if you decide to close the salon (for whatever reason) then I don’t think you can charge someone rent when they can’t access the premises.

Agree with @AcidPerm which is why Salon Owners often take out business interruption insurance, to cover such times and others keep a cash buffer locked away for such rainy days.

I've just spoken to a HR professional that I know, and she put it out there that as I'm self employed, then the financial risk is mine. So I risk not being able to access the chair to work with my clients (but I can access my clients as they are mine).

So, unless I were able to agree otherwise with my salon owner, or there is a clause in my contract stating otherwise, he could continue to charge me as normal. I do have a standard NHF chair rental agreement, that I can't find at the mo, other wise I'd look up the bit about the salon shutting.

So, the question is- Is there a contract? What does it say about the salon shutting (could be due to fire or flood)? If it says nothing, have the conversation with the owner.

If you don't have a contract......??????

I hope all who are affected by this find a productive way forward- I think we will all suffer in some way.

On their contract it says if their sick or on holidays rent still needs to be paid. My solicitor says it’s up to me if I want to charge them rent when on their holidays.

That's a little more clear cut then, if it's in the contract and both parties signed and agreeed to it then you are perfectly within your rights to charge. It's far more difficult for those who don't have agreements/contracts in place - neither side are winning whichever way it goes.

Latest posts

Back