Coronavirus - how many of you wonder if you’ll ever reopen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to remain positive about everything, which is so very difficult at the moment.

I opened my salon just 6 months ago, and everything was a bit slow and it was taking time to get noticed (which is understandable and I was prepared for). Mid February business had started to pick up, and the last four weeks that I was open, I finally thought I was getting somewhere...then there was Covid-19.

As I said, I’m trying to stay positive but I’m also trying to be realistic here. It was early days for the business, and we don’t know when all of this is going to end. But I really don’t know if the business stands a chance, and now I almost wish I had never set up on my own.

I just wonder how many of you, like me, are wondering if you’ll be able to get going again. And in particular, is anyone else new in business and worrying?

Thanks x

We have been going for a year (had our 1st Birthday last week). We hope to re-open as we are currently mid way through the legalities of taking on a shop (have been home based). not sure of we mad or not but we are keeping everything crossed.....

Stay Home & Stay Safe.....
Gary

Hi inner beauty Yorkshire, I have been open almost 6 years so I guess it’s a little different for me but not much. Stay positive and remember the clients that came to you when you were open will come back as it won’t be like they have been able to go anywhere else. In the meantime get on your Instagram and get noticed, post stories, videos, pictures and keep your content interesting, follow local small businesses and other salons for support. I have cancelled all appointments until the end of June at the moment and don’t think anything will happen before this. Just keep yourself in it. You will be ok❤️.

Please don’t give up you have worked so hard to get to where you are now and should feel proud [emoji177] it’s just on pause for now don’t worry, your clients will be desperate to get in once we’re all allowed out again x it’s understandable to feel deflated right now, everything is all over the place but stand strong and remember why you’re doing this [emoji178] one day you will look back at this hurdle and be glad that you carried on xx

Hi - I totally agree with all the positive sentiments above, I genuinely do think now is a great time to set up a beauty business as demand is gonna be huge when lock down is over. I am writing daily blog posts just now aimed at growing your business during lock down so DM me if you want the link - hopefully you will find some tips on there that you can use as our current clients have said its been useful to digest as its summarised.

I’m wondering how it things will go and I’ve been fully booked for 5 years.
I think clients will be desperate for beauty treatments but many won’t be able to afford it.
Personally I’m counting the minutes until I can get my lashes done!

Money will be tight for people but for most getting their lashes, roots nails etc done is non negotiable - I'd beg borrow or steal to get my roots done if I had to and think most will feel the same when lock down is over. Id be really surprised if salons/mobile etc weren't booked solid for weeks. Now is great time to plan how you will cope with increased traffic and requests for bookings so that you're prepared for all eventualities. Kim xx

I'm the same as you although I think it's the best time to reopen after this as everyone will be needing beauty treatments so it could be even more beneficial to reopen

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a universal close down, so your clients can’t go elsewhere. Try really hard not to borrow any money. Do everything you can to live on your own resources and same for your business. It’s REALLY hard to get clear of business debt if you’ve borrowed in order to pay existing overhead - whilst borrowing for investment is often worthwhile.

I suspect I’m infected so I’m self isolating atm but I am continuing to focus on the future. I was a bit burnt out when I closed and felt I’d never survive - but actually I’m using this time to renergise and refresh my business.

I’ve decided to fight for my high street salon for now, I can relocate to home based if all else fails, so I have a plan B. Right now I’m aiming to get ahead with my marketing strategy so that I’m in a good place when we reopen. It helps that my self-employed husband is still working. Saves me from getting into bad habits by staying up late and dripping around the house all day.

Put it this way... as soon as this lockdown is over I’m going to book in for a hair cut, a massage, a chiropractic treatment and getting my nails done... maybe even all in the same week! ( and none of those are things I do on a regular basis now)
I bet many of your clients will be thinking the same.
You know what they say ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ and I think that’s true of any pampering treatments... boy I can’t wait!

On a more business related note. I know my regular clients will be waiting to come back as well as new people. The only people I will loose are those who might have started treatment with me over the last few weeks. Also, it’s the first time I’ve ever got income ( 80%) while I’m not working.

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to remain positive about everything, which is so very difficult at the moment.

I opened my salon just 6 months ago, and everything was a bit slow and it was taking time to get noticed (which is understandable and I was prepared for). Mid February business had started to pick up, and the last four weeks that I was open, I finally thought I was getting somewhere...then there was Covid-19.

As I said, I’m trying to stay positive but I’m also trying to be realistic here. It was early days for the business, and we don’t know when all of this is going to end. But I really don’t know if the business stands a chance, and now I almost wish I had never set up on my own.

I just wonder how many of you, like me, are wondering if you’ll be able to get going again. And in particular, is anyone else new in business and worrying?

Thanks x
Yes I was nearly a year when I opened.

Totally feeling the same as yourself waiting on the grant coming through if that doesn’t come through I won’t be able to keep paying the rent and bills.

Hoping to hear soon regarding grant fingers crossed for us all.

Latest posts

Back