Coronavirus info needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SelfEmployed L

Reaction score
I’m posting this on behalf of all the staff in the salon I’m based in. We have 3 hairdressers and 2 beauty therapists all self employed. We are based in the south west and are concerned about our rights regarding if we have to self isolate.
Is there anything we can claim of we have to do this? Also we pay percentage rent and the owner has said if we are off sick anytime we have to pay him a set rate, how would we stand legally if we were told to self isolate by the authorities?
Many thanks.

There are no statutory sickness payments for self-employed people. If you have income protection insurance you'll need to check with your provider.

Literally 2 hours ago the Chancellor announced sick pay would be refunded for staff with Corona Virus, this is not the same as being told to self isolate as a precaution, and as previously said it doesn't cover Self Employed people anyway.

With regard to your rent, it's a grey area. I would assume you have some contract in place, details of arrangements for sick/holiday/etc. should be detailed in that. Whether you are ill or told to self isolate as a precaution I would expect that to be treated as a 'sickness' period and the appropriate part of the agreement activated.

If you don't have an agreement with him you are both on shaky ground, but so is everyone, this has never happened before, no-one has hard and fast plans in place. Probably will in future.

As @Trinity says, this is new unchartered territory for everyone.

Your priority is your health and the health of those around you that rely on you, so self isolate and worry about the bills afterwards.

If you’re currently paying a percentage split and there’s no written contract with a clause that covers what happens when you’re off sick, he can’t introduce new terms into the contract without your agreement.

As you are all self employed I think you should talk to the others and see if they’ll agree to appoint a spokesperson to negotiate with the salon owner on behalf of you all, to try to find a reasonable compromise.

Thank you both, we don’t have any formal contacts, I tried to speak to the boss about it today and he just laughed it off.
I think we as a team need to sit him down and have a professional discussion regarding what may happen.

Thank you both, we don’t have any formal contacts, I tried to speak to the boss about it today and he just laughed it off.
I think we as a team need to sit him down and have a professional discussion regarding what may happen.

Let us know how it goes, there's probably others here who will be in the same position and will appreciate your experience

Hiya, just reading through the comments... I also rent a chair.. I have just been told By the salon owner that I need to pay full rent for my chair even if we are told by the government to close the salon .. I don’t think we should have to pay a penny if we are not earning and it’s not our choice to close the salon so why should we have to pay?

Hiya, just reading through the comments... I also rent a chair.. I have just been told By the salon owner that I need to pay full rent for my chair even if we are told by the government to close the salon .. I don’t think we should have to pay a penny if we are not earning and it’s not our choice to close the salon so why should we have to pay?

I too am in the same situation and was wondering the same question. The salon i work in, we have no contract and have signed nothing. seems abit unfair when its out of our hands and not through choice of our own

we have no contract and have signed nothing.

Then technically can't charge you, no contract = no agreement. However, remember, that also applies to everything including whether they let you continue to rent space there or terminate with immediate effect.

Contractual terms can be inferred by custom and practice but as everyone says, this situation is unprecedented.

Yes I’m in this situation now the salon owner had a £10k grant and we have been making a agreed payment since closer and she still wants us to back pay 15 weeks oh and also no rent was paid because they had a 3 month payment holiday apparently her accountant said she can spend it on what she wants and it’s not to cover bills it’s to replace her lost income i thought that’s what self employed furlough was for?

Latest posts

Back