Correct sequence for spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindeep72

Reaction score
Hello. I did my spray tan training last Saturday and very excited to get started. The problem is my trainer said to start at face and work down but yesterday after viewing spray tan on you tube everyone said to do face neck last to avoid creases as you move your neck throughout treatment. I must admit this does make sense but don't know whether to stay with what trainer said or go with the other. I do know everyone will differ with their technique and I probably will change mine once I'm more confident. Just thought I would ask. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks. xx:confused:

I start on the back of body, then do all the front of the body, i do the neck & face last x

I do back of body, then both sides (including inside leg) then front starting with face, neck, chest and stomach, legs, feet, then sometimes once again over face x

Hey everyone has their own ways of doing spray tan! U will get a lot of mixed views on this one.

I start from the feet up to the top of the leg, get the client to turn out her leg to the outside to spray the inside. I then do the stomach, chest and front of arms. I turn the client to the side and tell her to stretch out her arms so I can do her whole side, then I turn her round the back! Leaving face and hands last. Its better than turning a client round a few times! This is the way I like to do it anyway and never have problems xx

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Think I will do face neck last when spraying. Seems to make sense. I keep going over it in my head and the only thing bothering me is the arms. We did get a pencil like drawing with arrows to guide you when applying the tan but like I said its the arms and the positions to put your client into. Suppose I'm just scared incase I go over it and end up overspraying. It will come to me as long as I practice. My kit has just this minute arrived and I've already got butterflies in my stomach. Will be doing my sister, she has agreed to be my guinea pig lol so fingers crossed it turns out. Again thank you xx

You will get ur own way soon enough :)

I start with :
Back
Backs of legs
Turn to side and side of leg/inner leg
Opposite side of leg/inner leg
front of leg and feet
turn to side and round arms, hold arm up and right down to waist
opposite side the same
belly
chest
face x2
hands
face back and go over neck and any parts of arms that look paler

:D

hi!

Theres no right or wrong way of doing it really. I am trained in a few brands of tanning solution and each way i got trained was different!
I think you use less solution and get a nice finish doing it the way most people on here do.

I start at the back doing the back, back of arms and legs.
then turn the client to the side and do the side of the stomach the arms and inner and outer thigh. (both sides)
Then turn to the front and do the chest and stomach and fronts of legs.
then feet, hands and face.

i think doing it this way is easier for the client also, saves them turning around and round like i have done in the past. :D

HTH,

Betsy

I was trained to start on the face, and I quite like it so I've stuck with it! My routine is:

- Face & neck
- Shoulders & torso
- Front of legs
- Back of neck & back
- Back of legs
- Both sides
- Arms & hands
- Inside of legs & feet

I begin with the face, working down the body, turn them each side then turn round to back working downwards again & end the treatment doing their hands & feet then wiping the palms & nails to avoid staining.

As mentioned before it all depends on who you train with.
I have been taught the other routine also with a different trainer, but much prefer doing it this way now as I find it easier to remember. X

Thanks everyone

Spray tanned my sis last night. Must admit, spent most of the day going through all my notes and wrote down the order in which I would apply the tan, face neck hands and feet last. This definitely came in handy and will use this till I am more confident. xxx

I spray like this-

Start on the front of the body tops of thighs & work down to the feet
Inside legs
Side of legs
Back of legs
Back (from bum upwards)
Side of torso both sides
Front of body working upwards
Face & neck
Then arms & hands.

I know its a weird way of doing it but its my way aha! I didnt train like this tho, i bought my kit etc before i did my training & practiced on friends & family and found this way or doing it. Everyones got their own ways & you'll soon find your own :) xx

I spray like this-

Start on the front of the body tops of thighs & work down to the feet
Inside legs
Side of legs
Back of legs
Back (from bum upwards)
Side of torso both sides
Front of body working upwards
Face & neck
Then arms & hands.

I know its a weird way of doing it but its my way aha! I didnt train like this tho, i bought my kit etc before i did my training & practiced on friends & family and found this way or doing it. Everyones got their own ways & you'll soon find your own :) xx

Can I ask the reason why you spray upwards. Have only sprayed 3 clients so far 4 including me....not easy lol. My sister wants me to spray her every week and she is ok with me trying different % as long as I don't use anything above 11%. My other sis has pale skin just like me so will have 2 clients with completely different skin tones. xx

Its funny how many different ways there are to spray tan a body.

This is mine:

Spray face twice
neck
Client holds boobs up and I spray underneath
Still holding boobs I spray abdomen
Release boobs and spray top of shoulders down onto boobs
front of legs and feet

Client turns to side:
Inside leg
Client turns head away, spray side of neck
Arm up, spray under arm
Arm still up spray side of body
arm stretched out I hold just below wrist and spray top, sides and inside
outside leg

Repeat on other side.

Client turns with back facing me
back of neck
back
backs of legs
client beds forward and spray underneath crease under bottom

Client faces me again:

arms stretch out in front hands together as if praying and spray side of thumbs
hands together palms faceing out and spray side of hands
hands still in front fingers splayed and spray

You will get ur own way soon enough :)

I start with :
Back
Backs of legs
Turn to side and side of leg/inner leg
Opposite side of leg/inner leg
front of leg and feet
turn to side and round arms, hold arm up and right down to waist
opposite side the same
belly
chest
face x2
hands
face back and go over neck and any parts of arms that look paler

:D

Exactly how I do it . & when checking I get then to steo out into more light x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Superfast 4G on EE. Using the Salon Geek App for Android.

I start at the legs first then back & front then arms and face. I haven't really had a chance to do a tan in dark to see if its patchy or streaky yet, fingers crossed i don't miss :)

I do

1. Back, back of legs, get them to bend slightly forward to get bum creases
2. Turn to side. Do side of neck and arm then lift arm up and do side of body and side of leg. Turn around and do the same on other side.
3. i then do the front, face first then lift head up and do under neck. Get them to lift boobs if big and spray underneath and dry with hose. Stomach, fronts of legs then I get them to turn foot out to the side to do inside leg on both. I do this because when I got tanned I hated all the robot type moves and lunges and find this easier and less muddling for the client. I then spray the face again and then holding each hand do the whole arm turning it as I go.
4. Hands, get them to hold out hand out as if holding a ball and lightly spray in circles.
5. I then spray face again then get them to turn round and lightly go over whole back again including sides then turn to front and do the same. If I think anywhere looks lighter I go over it. I find this way that by the time I'm going to start the second covering the guide colour is really showing so easy to get it all even.

I start with the back for 2 reasons- 1 some people are shy & stood there almost naked is a bit daunting, so by the time i have done the back they are fine... & 2 because I find that I feel the cold more on my front (chest & tummy). I also spray the back of their arms.

Then back of legs, then I ask the client to turn to the side-furthest arm straight out-spray the inside of arm. Furthest leg out & slightly bent-spray (& inside of foot)

Then closest arm up in the air spray down from wrist, side of the body, & the leg closest to me down to the ankle (& edge of foot). Then swap sides & repeat.

Then front:

One arm, half body, lift neck up, other half of body & arm.

Legs-front & light mist over feet.

Hands, like claws, then prayer position (to get thumbs & edge of hands) spray lightly.

Then face- do it in 2 sections to give client a quick breather, then a light mist all over face.

I then ask clients to turn their arms inwards & outwards to check I've got everywhere.

I ask client to turn around so i can check my work.

If a client has big boobs I will ask them to lift, I also get clients to slightly stick their bum out for bum/back creases. If their back creases are still a little bit white when doing their side, & arm is in the air i give it a quick spray ;)

Xx

I also start with the back ( I was taught this routine many moons ago) so as to make the client less self-conscious
I have recently started a junior who has been trained at college and was horrified with how she had been taught. Her routine wasted so much tan lotion and had the client in unnecessarily stupid poses with no regard for their modesty or comfort. She's agreed that 'my' routine makes more sense, so will now do it my way. But it makes me mad that colleges are turning out young girls who will have to be 'retrained' in a salon.

I also start with the back ( I was taught this routine many moons ago) so as to make the client less self-conscious
I have recently started a junior who has been trained at college and was horrified with how she had been taught. Her routine wasted so much tan lotion and had the client in unnecessarily stupid poses with no regard for their modesty or comfort. She's agreed that 'my' routine makes more sense, so will now do it my way. But it makes me mad that colleges are turning out young girls who will have to be 'retrained' in a salon.

I wasnt trained the way I spray now, I adapted my routine, once i felt confident. The reason was Id had tans by other staff members & they missed bits etc, & the way they sprayed we were getting 10 sprays a litre. The room looked a mess after just a couple of tans, I told the owner the gun is on too quick as I was new at tanning I just couldn't work at that speed, still after 4 years tanning I don't want to work at that speed- thats how things go wrong. Work now get 18-20 sprays per litre the owner cant believe it, when we 1st got more he thought the clients wouldn't be happy, but they were & are.

Xx

Latest posts

Back