Correct way to do a french manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahmorg1

Reaction score
Excuse the ignorance of this question, I am new to all this.

I have seen two ways of doing a this via the internet. One way is base coat, white tip, then neutral colour, then top coat. The other way is base coat, neutral colour, white tip then top coat.

Which is correct or are they both?

I want to know the best way to do a french manicure on natural nails, so that it lasts for a while.

Thanks

The way to get french polish to last longer is with thorough prep work on the natural nail.

Whether you put the colour on top of the white or under the white it is down to personal preference. Not all clients have a colour on with the french, there is no right or wrong. A good quality polish helps too.

Excuse the ignorance of this question, I am new to all this.

I have seen two ways of doing a this via the internet. One way is base coat, white tip, then neutral colour, then top coat. The other way is base coat, neutral colour, white tip then top coat.

Which is correct or are they both?

I want to know the best way to do a french manicure on natural nails, so that it lasts for a while.

Thanks
Ok I have been doing stacks of these at the moment and this is the way I usually do it,Base coat,white tip,pink then top coat.I rarely do the white on top of the pink...unless it's a silvery white and dosn't show that clearly.

Its down to clients preference,however it can be down to the colour of the 'white tip'.Both the examples you have seen are correct,just have a play around and you will see why these two methods can work.HTH

P.s the way I tell my clients to maintain their french is by applying a top coat,making sure they seal under the free edge, every couple of days,this works wonders.

Thanks for your comments, my preference is colour first then tip, so I am gonna try tip first.

Hi,
I always do base, tip, colour, topcoat.

I find that when i do it this way, if I make a wobbly smile I can correct it quite easily using a brush dipped in acetone or nailfresh.

Hi,
I always do base, tip, colour, topcoat.

I find that when i do it this way, if I make a wobbly smile I can correct it quite easily using a brush dipped in acetone or nailfresh.

Me too Bev - you do have to be careful which colour you use on top of the white though cause it can change the colour of the white to pink.

Which colour do you use then Bev for your colours in French.

I'm with you Bev and Theresa on this one .... white first, then colour. It's much easier to correct any mishaps this way.

I use Essie and fave combinations are Below the Belt (white) with Mademoiselle (soft baby pink, also an award winning colour in Essie's range).

Ok - this is the method I use in the salon, I have excellent results with polish staying on for (5 weeks on fingers! - thats my new record set TODAY with a regular client on her 3rd visit! I swear she has a cleaner!!):lol:

Thorough prep to start.

• Essie ridge filling base coat, lightly cap the free edge
  • One thin coat of pink usually Essie Mademoiselle
  • One thin coat of Essie Blanc on the tips - cap the free edge
  • Back to the start and one more thin coat of blanc - again capping
  • Over again with the pink - lightly capping
  • Top coat - uaually 'Good to go' or 'To dry for' by Essie.
  • cuticle oil to finish:green:
There you go x

Me too Bev - you do have to be careful which colour you use on top of the white though cause it can change the colour of the white to pink.

Which colour do you use then Bev for your colours in French.

I use Creative colours & Stickey Basecoat & Super Shiney Topcoat, colours are.....'Cream Puff' for the whites
'Moonlight & Roses' & 'Beau' are my clients favs for the pink.
I also have 'Negligee' but not used it yet. I show the clients all three pinks & they mostly go for Moonlight & Roses tbh, which is gorgeous with a slight colour change from palest pink to palest lilac.

i always do tip then pink.

I do base, tip, pink then top coat (capping free edge). I find two thin coats of the white work much better than one thick coat as it also helps reduce chipping too, hth x

Well I tried base coat, tip then colour and found that by capping the free edge it lasted much longer.

I had alot of comments saying how nice they looked, so thanks for your comments

Latest posts

Back