Cost of Renting a Room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrook

Reaction score
Hi

Please can anyone help me? I am looking at going into a salon just outside Manchester and I have found a room but the salon owner wants 30% of my takings for it.

The owner is going to be arranging my bookings etc, I just have to obviously provide the products etc!

Please could you let me know if this is reasonable or not? If I looked at a day rate, what do you think would be fair?

Thanks B

hi

i know someone that is paying that amount and i think it is extortionate

i am about to rent my room out, its perfect for beauty or nails (poss too big for nails) or tanning.....i have quoted a beauty therapist £400 per month for the first 3 months (£20 a day x 5 working days per week) and then £500 a month after she has settled.

I am waiting for her to say yay or nay - so may still need someone!! - but i think that is very cheap as it includes everything and i am happy to provide reception help, we have a wc and kitchen

If she wants her own basin then the plumbing to do that is down to her.

Hi,
I would say it depends on the area and how much you can make each week before you can decide whether 30% is too much. £20/£25 can also equate to 30% of income iukwim.
JES

If your just starting out - sometimes its best to go the % route, if you dont have any clients for that day then you dont make any money but you dont have to pay rent either so are not losing anything. If you have to pay say £100 per week for 5/6 days renting and you get enough clients in to cover it then great, as long as you make your £100 plus the cost of your products etc. But if you dont then you still have £100 to pay out from no income!

I think paying 30% of your earnings is very fair tbh - I pay a lot more than that :rolleyes: but am also mobile.

good luck in your new venture - and remember it will take time to build up your client base and actually start earning a profit x

Hay, I'm renting a room for 20% a month I was looking for about a year, I came across 50% commission to £100 a week. I think you need to look at the room and location is it were you want to be? To you get a good vibe have you done your research of possible other areas and rooms available? If you feel it's right go for commission when starting I think is the best way to go especially in starting out the other costs you will have at least then u rent is not one you will be losing sleep over, then when u get to the point you can afford to challenge or look for a new or bigger space then what will you have to loose when well established.

Sorry bout spelling stupid auto correct on my iPhone!!!

starting out being commissioned based is best, it gives you a break while gaining your clientele. However it's not a long term solution, if you end up taking £1000 a week you don't wont want to pay £300 for a room. When I used to work on a commissioned based rent I put a limit on it, for example £100 or £200, it all depends what the owner is suppling (advertising, products, equipment). Also keep a tight rein on your clients, I always liked to manage my own.

starting out being commissioned based is best, it gives you a break while gaining your clientele. However it's not a long term solution, if you end up taking £1000 a week you don't wont want to pay £300 for a room. When I used to work on a commissioned based rent I put a limit on it, for example £100 or £200, it all depends what the owner is suppling (advertising, products, equipment). Also keep a tight rein on your clients, I always liked to manage my own.

How can you ensure the correct amount of commission is paid? if the stylist/therapist takes their onw money from the client?

How can you ensure the correct amount of commission is paid? if the stylist/therapist takes their onw money from the client?
mmm, did not think about this from the owners point of view, i suppose trust was involved, however i did supply a list of my appts and a copy of receipts until i reached the limit of rent agreed.

30% is about right imo. I have rented a room and paid 40% to the owner before but I hated working on a percentage so moved to another salon and paid £90 per week.

It really does depend on the salon and area. If you are renting in a back street salon targeting the blue rinse brigade then your rent is going to be at the lower end if its a high class salon in an upmarket area you could be looking at around £250 per week.

Without knowing details of the salon its hard to say.

Latest posts

Back