Cost of room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerTips

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm currently renting a room on a Main street. My rent was at £60 then £90 to help me settle then went full price £120. Now the streets are quiet and I'm barely getting customers only 5 this week. I think I may be paying too much but not sure.
I can't afford to pay the extra so what should I do? Xx

Is that per week??

That seems quite a lot. Could you do mobile at all? You won't have the overheads then xx

I have a lot of stuff to do nails, I have a beauty case and three bags. I also don't drive. I used to work from home but then you don't get walk ins

Maybe ask to work on a % scale while its quiet. I pay 15% of my monthly takings to my shop owner xx

Wow 15% is low. I think it's quite common to be in a 60/40 split 60% to whoever supplies the products.

Jemima :)

The daily rent of one place I looked at was £120 a day !! So it can really vary, depends how big the room is if it has a shower in it, water supply ...

Hope it picks up for you :)

I pay £450 per month...

Ouch that's high after a week of working out figs I've decided against renting a room. It was town centre at £80 a week with a bridal dress business and suit hire in the building who were happy to promote me at wedding fairs and pish my bridal make up but couldn't take the dip in income while it builds up. That's way to high what r they doing to help promote u?

You need to explain exactly what you have said, to the owners. Surely they will understand. They must be feeling the pinch themselves.
Hope you get sorted.

By main street I don't mean Glasgow. I don't have a water supply or shower. The room isn't the best quality either. The room I was in previously was £85 a week. The room was stunning and i had a sink. So I don't know, I'm going to talk with him but when I first took the room he's like "This is a great deal" I have four days to make the rent. I've had 3 clients this week...

Speaking as a salon owner in Herts i would say the rental is not so bad but you shouldnt be paying a profit and a rental! One or the other!!

We rent rooms out here for £550 a month you can chose the days you work were open 9.30-8.00 and closed Sundays

It is always quiet when everyone goes back to school! Get involved with your local fairs at xmas do some leaflet dropping around town approach cafes and leave leaflets everywhere!

Promise it will get busy towards xmas people just need to know your good and you are there! Be clear on your opening hours and always do a late night if you can! Do some facebooking get all your clients on there and do some special offers get people talking about you.. things can only get better!! wish you all the best!

Speaking as a salon owner in Herts i would say the rental is not so bad but you shouldnt be paying a profit and a rental! One or the other!!

We rent rooms out here for £550 a month you can chose the days you work were open 9.30-8.00 and closed Sundays

It is always quiet when everyone goes back to school! Get involved with your local fairs at xmas do some leaflet dropping around town approach cafes and leave leaflets everywhere!

Promise it will get busy towards xmas people just need to know your good and you are there! Be clear on your opening hours and always do a late night if you can! Do some facebooking get all your clients on there and do some special offers get people talking about you.. things can only get better!! wish you all the best!

Thanks for your advice :) Even at £90 a week I wasn't making enough above my rent to live off of. Since its went up to £120 I've only made it twice from just customers. The rest of the time its came out my own pocket. Truth is, I'm having great financial difficulty. If it doesn't pick up in the next week or two I'll have to leave. I havent earned anything in over a month. If anything I've put out more. For those that have to pay bills and a mortgage you'll understand that no wage or earnings isn't good.
I work in Bellshill, so its nothing fancy. Xx

Heyy Ladies turns out on the same street and same size room you're talking about £70-80. But today I made the decision to leave :)

I'm currently renting a room for £150 per week. All over heads included (there is a salon below) so the only other thing I pay is my insurance, but I also have to provide all stock! I'm very quiet (just finished my 4th week) luckily my partner has a good wage every week as I took some time out since I was last in a salon so I'm building my clientele up again (I do have a few regulars) I don't have a car ATM and like having a base but looking at other comments feel I'm paying a lot (not sure if what other are paying includes overheads or not :/) the time of year is quiet but my partner and I are getting married next year so needing to tighten the purse strings where possible so need a wage from my side, I'm looking for an evening job too but were going to see how the salon is in 6 months and see if it's financially viable to stay there x

Ive been to see a room which is 40% for few few monthd and then 80 a week. Salon is in the high street up some stairs so no window advertising. Is this a good deal? Ive only worked very part time before so not sure how long it will take to build a new client base up full time (ive relocated so starting again)

never go to an upstairs premises... you rule out a larger number of clients... those with walking difficulties/ women with kiddies and prams/ older women etc etc... don't eliminate before you begin... clients will easily go round the corner to a salon they can simply walk into and will probably have forgotten about the lovely salon upstairs... out of sight out of mind and all that... HTH's xxx

Hi there, Im upstairs inside a hair salon inside an arcade so very hidden. If your very good and unique and have a fab website which gets top ratings on google. Then your on to a winner no matter where you are people will follow/find. Goodluck :)

Latest posts

Back