Costs with being mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel90

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm trying to work out a price list etc but have suddenly thought about the annual costs associated with running a car (fuel, tax, insurance, services & MOT). How does everyone else work this into their prices? x

What is your trade? you can't work car insurance and all into your prices you shoud be able to pay for your car bills not make clients pay for them...

Things like tax, services, MOT and insurance is stuff I pay anyway so perhaps I shouldn't have put those in there. However, if insurance is more expensive due to adding business as a use of the car, is this something that people just pay or is it worked into prices etc? The same goes for business insurance. Or is it just a case of taking it out of 'profit' at the end of each month/year? And with regards to fuel costs, as a mobile therapist, would you cost it into treatments or add a fee for travel? I'm not expecting my clients to be paying for everything for me but I'm very new to this and just trying to get things right.

I'm mobile too but you can't pass these costs onto clients, just product costs and your time.
If you have an accountant they will work out a percentage for the amount you use your car for work, just make sure you keep a copy of all petrol costs, business mileage, car insurance, mot , servicing costs & tax and they'll work it out to deduct against your tax bill.

I'm mobile too but you can't pass these costs onto clients, just product costs and your time.
If you have an accountant they will work out a percentage for the amount you use your car for work, just make sure you keep a copy of all petrol costs, business mileage, car insurance, mot , servicing costs & tax and they'll work it out to deduct against your tax bill.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I don't have an accountant but something I need to look into! Thanks x

I have based my prices on my competitors and have cut down on the area I cover as I was constantly in the car and doing lots of miles.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I don't have an accountant but something I need to look into! Thanks x
It's a lot easier!
Things like tax, services, MOT and insurance is stuff I pay anyway so perhaps I shouldn't have put those in there. However, if insurance is more expensive due to adding business as a use of the car, is this something that people just pay or is it worked into prices etc? The same goes for business insurance. Or is it just a case of taking it out of 'profit' at the end of each month/year? And with regards to fuel costs, as a mobile therapist, would you cost it into treatments or add a fee for travel? I'm not expecting my clients to be paying for everything for me but I'm very new to this and just trying to get things right.
I take out the money I need for everything car related out of the money I earn and write it into my accounts so it's all accounted for.
My car insurance has business use included.
You need to figure out how far you're willing to travel to get to a client (say 10 mile radius) & if you're willing to travel further think about charging a little extra for fuel.
X

Thank you both! It makes sense, I will have to have a look at google maps and see how far I'm willing to go! Thank you x

That's a good idea as I used to travel up to 20 miles to clients and that is just to far. I'm now doing a 7 mile radius

I cover a 15 mile radius but have imposed minimum treatment values and call out charges to ensure my time in the car and fuel costs are covered.

I definitely think it needs to be a consideration in your costings. You may well have been running a car already but it will soon add up driving here there and everywhere. I'm not saying charge your clients mileage but if it's costing you too much to get to someone then it isn't worth doing. You're a business and you need to make a living. I think the way JanVenus does it sounds like a good idea!

I'm quite handy with graphic software and have a photo map of the area I cover with sections in different colours. My own Postcode is no minimum and no call out, a wider area in green is minimum £15, yellow minimum £20 and red is minimum £20 with a £5 call out charge. It's pinned to the top of my Facebook page :)

You usually allow 45p per mile for your travelling costs when mobile (check this on the HMRC website). This cost includes wear and tear and all running costs so you don't need to save insurance certs, servicing bills etc and work out percentages. The 45p a mile has it all included. Do check as it might no longer be 45p per mile x

Vic x

Latest posts

Back