Couch to 5K?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I'm so out of shape, it's ridiculous!

I am interested in doing a Couch to 5K. I did a Color me Rad 'race' in May but just walked the 5k.

Has anyone done this or something similar? Was it difficult? Were you able to run a 5K at the end?

Thank you for any advice you can give me! :)

I've done it & it really does work- you just need to stick to it (which I'm not so good at). I found even running 1 min difficult but by the end I could run (well, shuffle) 5k.
I've just started again this week & so far so good. I'm running with my mum this time, which helps. Is there anyone who would run with you? Having a running buddy is the best motivator.
Look forward to hearing how you get on :)

I done it a couple of years ago to help me train for a 10k (left the training a bit late and only had 4 months to train)

I was so unfit when i started it getting out of puff after a minutes running but its really does help building you up gradually.

Hth
Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've thought about this but not sure my poorly knees & back would thank me. But I'd love to do the race for life next year as a close friend has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Will have a look at it and see.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't done it but have read on the Weight Watchers forums of people that are 20 stone doing it and are able to run the 5k at the end!

Some of them have said they have done a week twice though as they haven't felt ready for the next week.

I'm intrigued ;)

Looks do-able so good luck deanosnana !

Think I'll download the App myself and give it a go.

I'm in the first few weeks and can already notice a huge difference!

You won't know until you start - and you won't be able to run the race unless you try.

I read somewhere that it takes till age 27 to get to your full physical peak running-wise and you will ever-so-gradually start to lose strength as you age. If you keep up the exercise, you will be able to run as fast as a 19 year old until you're in your mid 60s!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've always exercised just not run as I have bad knees & back. If they prevent me running I would still do race for life but power walk it.

I'm on week 4 if nhs couch to 5k app

The first week I struggled with 60seconds of running today I did 5 mins with ease

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words! I am excited to do this. Went out yesterday and bought a REALLY good pair of running shoes.

I start tomorrow...will keep you posted!

Thanks again, everyone! :hug:

I've not done this but I have been improving my running and can now run for 10 mins straight and then I walk for a while and start stop the last 20 mins of my 'run' lol. It's really hard work but I'm totally motivated and that really is the key. My fitness has improved massively too :) im going for a run in the morning. Can you please all make sure I do lol x

I'm on Week 4 as well, just had a couple of weeks break though and doing the 2nd 5 min run today was HARD! Feels worth it now tho :)

I use the RunDouble app.

Did anyone finish couch to 5k and have success story's?

I didn't do the Couch to 5K but am in my 10th month of kickboxing. I LOVE it! :)

I found this thread earlier and
When I originally posted I was on week 4 of couch to 5k

2 years later
I've run 27 10k races
5 half marathons
And am doing the London marathon next year!

So it works!

Kickboxing sounds good, I'll have to try it x

I keep downloading a couch to 5k app and never using it but maybe I should try now I did a 10k obstacle course a few weeks ago and the running in between killed me!

You should! It's fab
I couldn't even run down the road 2 years ago

Latest posts

Back