Could anyone please advise me on this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine Mary

Reaction score
If someone wants their money back for a gift voucher bought nearly 18 months ago, what would you do?

Answers gratefully recieved.

When was the expiry date? I would definitely not refund. But maybe as a nice gesture I might let them use the voucher. X

I might let them have a treatment but definitely no refund. You couldn't walk into M&S and ask to swap a voucher for the cash.

No way. No refunds on gift vouchers. I'd also probably let them use it even after the expiry date or let them transfer it to someone else. No shop or salon on the high street would let you get a refund on a gift voucher.

This is a really weird one, as it was for a friend of a friend, who is now an ex friend and being difficult just for the sake of it.
As it's so long ago, how would I stand if I wasn't doing any treatments anymore?

Surely she cannot expect money back after so long?

Thanks for the replies so far girls. Greatly appreciated. Sad that some people cannot live and let live. Never mind. xx

If it was me in this situation I'd happily refund.

1) To save me the hassle of arguing over it
2) To save me the hassle of potentially being bad mouthed
3) As I haven't actually lost anything by refunding it

The alternative is the voucher being redeemed and from what you have written there is an awkward situation going on (ex friend etc.) so what would you prefer giving the money back or having them in your salon?

Michelle x

How long has it been out of date? If it has been out for a long time then I personally would not refund. Can you offer her a treatment or products to the value? If there was tension because of friendship problems - perhaps offering a great treatment experience would heal a rift?

Great responses girls, thank you so much. The thing is that the lady who the voucher was for is really not giving me any hassle, its the previous "friend", who clearly still has issues with me.

I think I will sleep on it, and, either give her an amazing treatment, like you say, or money back. Your'e right, I don't want her bad mouthing me.

Thanks again. It's just weird that I have heard nothing from the lady herself!
Oh yes, and it was nearly 18 months ago.

I would say that if you're not offering treatments any more then your business has ceased trading and she wouldn't be able to redeem her voucher. Would she actually WANT a treatment. I would hate to have a treatment with someone I had fallen foul of - I would imagine them standing doing my massage muttering 'fat cow' under their breath - or is that just me.

If you can bear to treat her, treat her, but I would not offer a refund, but if a refund will help you put the whole thing to bed, so be it.

Good luck x

Do you have any retail products? You could say that you cannot refund her in cash but offer her a gift package of some retail products (for less than the voucher is worth, but don't tell her this) as a good will gesture.

Tbh, I would give her a refund just to save all the hassle. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I would honour it and even let her 'gift' it on to another person but absolutely would not refund. Period.

xx

Thank you, lovely ladies, sound advice and some cracking thoughts.

As I said, I will sleep on it, and decide tomorrow. Right now, the plan on giving her the treatment and drawing a line under it, no matter how old the voucher seems the route to go. I may well be biting my tongue all through it though!

Thanks again. xx

What about offering products instead? If you have a skin care range in?

Two words.. Hell NO!

Thank you Laura for your input. x

As has been said on this forum before, I don't know if refusing a gift voucher as it has 'expired' is actually legal. I used to put an expiry to encourage people to use them, but I have never refused one, even very out of date. If it was for a specific treatment and my prices had gone up, I may have requested the price difference, but I would never refuse. I know many years ago I had a Next voucher that had expired, and I contacted Next who replaced it!

I now only do vouchers for amounts as I find it a lot easier to track.

Vicki x

As has been said on this forum before, I don't know if refusing a gift voucher as it has 'expired' is actually legal. I used to put an expiry to encourage people to use them, but I have never refused one, even very out of date. If it was for a specific treatment and my prices had gone up, I may have requested the price difference, but I would never refuse. I know many years ago I had a Next voucher that had expired, and I contacted Next who replaced it!

I now only do vouchers for amounts as I find it a lot easier to track.

Vicki x

I think that it is legal as long as it is made known to the customer on purchase that there is a deadline and that it will be non viable after the date. I personally have stopped doing them as I find them too much hassle.

It is legal to refuse vouchers if they have expired. A voucher is based on the same principle as a contract, generally with terms and conditions attached. . But. ..it is purely down to your discretion if you wish to honour them. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
If it was a regular client who had purchased the voucher, I might refund as a gesture of goodwill, which I think can go a long way.

If I didn't like them too much or they asked in an ar5ey way I might not, but I might allow them still to use the voucher (they could use it against a treatment they had themselves, after all.)

If it was a one-off, random person, then no refund but I MIGHT let them still use the voucher if they asked in the right way.

You see, it's not what you say, it's how you say it lol!

Latest posts

Back