Could do with some make-up advice..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Shed

Reaction score
Hello, hope you don't mind me popping over from Nail Geek to get some advice off you make-up geeks...

Background info: I have suffered with acne since puberty, I'm now 28 and it's not going. I'm on medication for it and have to use a gel on my face so that I can control it. I suffer with a very oily nose and chin, my cheeks are 'normal' and my forehead can be quite dry, I think I've got my skincare down to a fine art now and my skin is looking the best it has in years but I've never been happy with my make-up.

I need good coverage due to inflamation and scarring and have used Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation for years after going through soo many foundations it's unbelievable. It does give the coverage I need but they don't have a shade to suit me, I mix 2 presently but it's still not right and the oil still always comes through on my nose by lunchtime which means it needs re-applying.

I was thinking about trying a mineral make-up as I heard you can now get good coverage with some of them. After searching through review sites I was trying to decide between Art Deco and Youngblood but now reading through posts on here, feel I should add Lily Lolo to my list too. Would any of these be better suited for my skin than the others? Or can you recommend anything else?

How abut primer? I currently use the Smashbox 'light' version, is there a better one for oily, acne prone skin?

Your advice would be greatfully received and will actually be helpful as I do plan to eventually train in make-up to. Thanks in advance :)

Bare Escentuals matte foundation, with prime time primer x

have u tried clarins everlasting?

the coverage is fab!

also try the no 7 matting primer? cant remember correct name but its in a white tube and i have yet to find a primer that stops the shine like that does!

I would avoid lily lolo and bare escentual for your skin, although I do love both products, bare escentuals is very dewy on the skin and i doubt that you will get a heavy coverage from lilly lolo. I would defo recommend young blood or Jane iredale first. I think if your skin is as your describing I would tend to research Jane iredale first. The company has great support so even just phone and ask them for an info pack before u try in on yourself.

Hope u find one u like.xxx

I know you didn't ask about skincare but have you considered Environ? It would help diminish the acne scarring and pitting. x

Hiya! I have the same skin problem as you and I am almost 27. Took me a long time to sort out my skin but finally just about under control. I use Eve Taylor products in my skincare regime. For Make-up I love Lily Lolo. The minerals are so gentle for my skin. I do have scars from previous breakouts and find the green concealer covers these well, the concealers all have a better coverage. I have large pores on my nose and was recommend to try the Flawless Matte finishing powder under my Lily Lolo foundation and then on top as a finish as it helps eliminate shine. You can build up the coverage with their foundation which is what I like. Also I think the products are very reasonably priced.
Good luck x
Matte Finishing Powder - From £1.29 • Buy Online • How To • Videos

I had terrible skin at your age. One thing that helped although only short term was Roaccutane and then at age 34 ish I discovered P8N8 and it changed my skin forever. It totally controls spots and evens out skintone / reduces redness. It doesn't work overnight. You have to give it 6 weeks then stay on it! And in the early days you can expect a significant and unpleasant purge.

With regard to make up I was so concerned about scarring etc I use to plaster myself with Supercover (if you apply it correctly it is FANTASTIC but you have to get the hang of it) but now I use (no-one shoot me) ELF mineral concrealer and foundation. Cheap and cheerful. Am amazed how effectively it works amd how natural it looks. Yes you can layer it, the only word of warning I would give is if you overdo the layers you will suddently look shiny (in a pearly kind of way) - not good!

I do also use P8N8 foundation sometimes, as it has a peeling ingredient in it and it's also spf40 and you can layer it. Downside is it only comes in 3 shades and I do tend to blend light and medium which is a faff I could do without...

Just posting here so that I can find it later :) xx

P.S. ZoZo, can I just ask what P8N8 is? I also used Roaccutane and found it great, but recently my skin isn't as good as what it was!! Xx

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've actually got my skin under control 95% of the time with a combination of antibiotics, birth control pill and gel so I'm not so worried about skincare. I can handle the odd pimple without having a breakdown. I will have a look at Environ and P8N8 though, so thanks.

jujojones, yes I have tried the no.7 mattifying primer and it was good but didn't last all day on my nose (that's my worst oily area) and it also really clogged my pores so the tube is at the bottom of my make-up box now.

kebkiss, it is good to hear from some-one else suffering the same skin problems. I know you said above that you can build up the coverage with Lily Lolo but do you think it would be enough without starting to look cakey?

Zo Zo, is ELF not popular then? Cheap is good, but if there is a better product for more money I'd rather pay it..... I pay £25+ for a bottle of foundation already.

Any more suggestions? Has anyone tried Young Blood or Art Deco on my skin type?

Hiya,
Looking cakey was the problem I found with many other foundations I tried over the years. I love Lily Lolo because it really doesn't look cakey. Use the concealers in the areas of your blemishes/redness etc, start with the flawless matte powder as a brilliant base and then apply the mineral foundation. It is the only foundation I have tried with doesn't react with my skin and feels like I have no make-up on. Finish with the flawless matte again which can be re-applied throughout the day if you start to notice any shine.

I have not tried Young Blood or Art Deco so cannot comment on them. Really hope you find the right thing for you. Unfortunately a lot of the time is trial and error on what suit you best. Best of luck :)

Another vote for Lily Lolo! It's really gentle and pure, no bismuth oxychloride which a lot of mineral make ups ahve and can be an irritant. PLus, it can be sheer or more covering, you just build it up. Plus it's a doddle to apply. They do sell samples for a pound or two! Good luck x

Oh yes, you will definately need a kabuki brush, it simply doesn't work as well with any other brush!

I have had a look on the website and will order a couple of samples to try, thanks. I love that they do samples, I've wasted soo much money in the past on full size bottles!

I have just ordered a sample pack from Lily Lolo, was told to apply with their flocked sponge if I want more coverage. Will try it with a brush first.

Latest posts

Back