Could I get sued....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
If I did a special offer on Tuesdays... I wanted to either call it Mandarin Tuesdays or Orange Tuesdays (you know, like Orange Wednesdays at the cinema) But I don't wanna get sued by Orange. LOL.

Basically Tuesdays are quieter for my BT, the rest of the week is ok but Tuesdays are slow. So I though of either doing an offer where all treatments are 10% on a Tues, or if you get a CBD then you get a 10% off voucher for a Tuesday treatment.

Just trying to get some good ideas flowing to busy the salon up. Was also thinking of the other way about, anyone in for beuaty gets a 10% off hair card with my new stylist?

A few years back on my personal website I used the phrase "The futures bright, the futures pink".

That upset the IP (Intellectual Property) lawyers for Orange ... had a rather aggressive letter from them telling me I was damaging their brand. I used to work for a law firm so know how much they charge to write and send letters. I wrote back asking for clarification ... did Orange really think that customers would confuse a large mobile phone company with the website of a dizzy blonde gay man? It went back and fourth a few times ... think they got bored of me, but Orange had to pay a good few hundred pounds for that.

Companies can be very protective, sometimes stupidly so. If you are a member of an organisation that provides legal advice give them a call for clarification.

If not probably easiest to avoid Orange Tuesdays, go for a Tuesday Treat or something else.

Mat

I really cant see how you could get sued for using the name orange.
Orange is also a fruit not just a comapany so Orange phone company cant own the rights to people using the word.
Its such a shame we have to think about things like this now, everyone just wants to sue people for everything!

Out of interest why do you want to use "orange"? How will that link in to your offer?
How about "treat on tuesdays", "tuesdays treatments",(& have a list of discounted treatments only availble for tuesdays) "tinting tuesday"

What your salon called?

I am sure I have read a thread on here for ideas for tuesday offers, maybe do a search to get more ideas.:D

A few years back on my personal website I used the phrase "The futures bright, the futures pink".
That upset the IP (Intellectual Property) lawyers for Orange ... had a rather aggressive letter from them telling me I was damaging their brand. I used to work for a law firm so know how much they charge to write and send letters. I wrote back asking for clarification ... did Orange really think that customers would confuse a large mobile phone company with the website of a dizzy blonde gay man? It went back and fourth a few times ... think they got bored of me, but Orange had to pay a good few hundred pounds for that.

Companies can be very protective, sometimes stupidly so. If you are a member of an organisation that provides legal advice give them a call for clarification.

If not probably easiest to avoid Orange Tuesdays, go for a Tuesday Treat or something else.

Mat

I took so long writing my previous reply I didnt see your post, great minds think alike with the "Tuesday Treat/ Treat on Tuesdays" thing! :D
How bizarre getting a letter from the lawyers from orange!
I wonder how they thought that could of damaged a massive brand such as them? x

why the orange/mandarin theme? to me thats making a statement that you do orange fake tans! hmmmm.

if its because you are jumping on the bandwagon then take care.

I haven't had any issues but on flyers I sometimes put "because you are worth it"!

but I wouldn't put it on the website.

Yeah- you could.

They're not bothered about you stealing business obviously, and on the face of it its ludicrous that they'd be bothered about people like us.

However, the flip side is that its their brand- and intellectual property- and there is no "line" that they won't go over in terms of them thinking "oh, they're only a small company it doesn't matter"- it's all or nothing for them, which logically and legally is the right thing at the end of the day.

Any dilution (diluted orange...sorry) of the brand matters to them, no matter how small. If they let a thousand small companies use that theme, or tagline or whatever, then that message ultimately means less for the company that paid hundreds of thousands of pounts to cultivate it.

As a person that builds brands for a living (and it shouldnt matter if you're a mobile nail technician or Microsoft)- then im sure my clients wouldnt be too happy if someone else used something they'd spent time and money on creating.

what about 'Tanning Tuesdays' although a Tuesday is a funny day to get a tan but you could maybe say come back within 7 days for a top up and do the top up for £10-£12? orrrr make it Top up Tuesdays then people who have had there tan the week before could come for there weekly top up and do an offer on the price to? Im not keen on mandarin tuesdays because every day is a mandarin day when they're coming to a salon called mandarin if you get me lol!(i really confused myself trying to write that last bit lol)

sorry guys, didnt explain myself very well.

the salon is called manadarin - hence the orange theme.

maybe i will steer clear of orange tuesdays then :)

I'm just trying to get some new ideas up and running for the summer break.

How about;
"Manadarin Madness - on Tuesdays only",
"Manadarin Madness - Tuesdays Treatments" :D

How about;
"Manadarin Madness - on Tuesdays only",
"Manadarin Madness - Tuesdays Treatments" :D

I like these - I think its much better to use the salon name 'mandarin' in the title rather than just orange.

"Don't Peel with Mandarin"

"Our prices are so low we're taking the pith!"

:D:D:D

very good carl... :D

somebody left a mandarin, like an actual fruit, in the salon today. we came in and found it sitting on the sofa....how weird. anyway thats changing the subject a bit xxx

how about "Ten Percent Tuesdays"

What about 'Tantalizing Tuesdays' I read somewhere that it's good to have the same letter in the offer like 'Monday Madness' 'Fabulous Fridays' that sort of thing. Good luck.

What about "try something new tuesdays" or "try a treatment tuesdays", then you could say something like "here at Mandarin we apreciate your loyalty, as our gift to you we are offering a reduced rate on a tuesday for you to try a treatment you have not had with us before."

thats a really nice idea weezie. i just want to steer clear of the monday madness type things - im sorry but to me they seem a bit like one of these sofa places that has sales on bank holidays......i dont wanna offend anyone and am grateful for the help.

got my thinking cap on, thanks guys xxx

If Orange really don't like "Mandarin Tuesdays" then they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to feeble excuses to protect their trademark... after all, "Mandarin" is the name of your business, and Tuesday is a day of the week (which is a pretty universal concept), so you've got just as much right to have "Mandarin Tuesdays" as they have to "Orange Wednesdays"... in my opinion anyway :)

Latest posts

Back