Could the grass be greener

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
So far 2008 is great, got engaged just before Xmas, first grandchild due any day now. Just one dilemma. Been working two days a week at an estate agent, hectic and hate to admit it but pretty boring, but good side is it is near to home and I can drop my daughter off to school on the way to work.

Well I have been offered another job working for junior docs at Mental Hospital for NHS.

Am seriously wondering if this might be more interesting.

Have any of you on here worked in either of these professions, can't seem to decide if the grass might be greener.

This is probably the wrong place to post this, I apologise if it is.

Congratulations on the engagement and the 'anyday now' grandchild...what a wonderful start to 2008.

I'm afraid in my experience, no the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've made some decisions (not in my nail life:lol:, when I worked at the bank) and changed for the wrong reasons, so it bit me on the bum big time.

What are your reasons to thinking of another job? Are you not making enough from nails? Are you feeling bored with nails? ( we all do at some time or another:hug)

My only advise is don't jump into it. Take your time.
xx

Congratulations Sam! on your engagement. post pics please of your new grand baby when he/she arrives!

If you are working part time can you use one of the days off and spend part of that day at the NHS job place. Ask them if you can spend a few hour there (volunteer to make the tea do filing etc) get a feel for the job. I have heard of people doing this. HTH's
Happy New Year to you! :hug: Debs X

The big question you need to ask yourself is....
would you be able to cope with the nutters all day long, i know you cope with us lot but you can turn us off lol

The big question you need to ask yourself is....
would you be able to cope with the nutters all day long, i know you cope with us lot but you can turn us off lol

pmsl :lol::lol:

congrats on the engagement hun:hug:

re the grass being greener....which pays more ?!:green: Normally influences my decision !!!

congrats on your engagement

i worked for the nhs for a year in a psychotherapy clinic, it was the worst job i have ever had

i spent my days typing long reports about the patients who were murderers, rapists, sexual deviants, paedophiles, people with gender issues and troubled families.

i finally had to leave when i typed up 15 pages about a new patient who was a cannibal!

i worked for the nhs for a year in a psychotherapy clinic, it was the worst job i have ever had

i spent my days typing long reports about the patients who were murderers, rapists, sexual deviants, paedophiles, people with gender issues and troubled families.

i finally had to leave when i typed up 15 pages about a new patient who was a cannibal!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: y i k e s :eek::eek::eek::eek:

stick with estate agents!

Now you see, this would be interesting for me :lol: :lol: Perhaps that says a lot about me :lol: :lol:

From personal experience, I found that working for the public sector was the worst thing that I could have done for my personality and how I do things.

After 11 months of being in a public sector job, I was genuinely suicidal (no jokes). It got to the point where I would make up every and any excuse not to go to work. When I couldn't think of something, I used to stand in the shower and just cry.

All the red tape, bureaucracy and back stabbing was just to much for me.

But as it's only 2 days a week, what have you got to lose ? How do they pay compared to the estate agents ?

Write a list of pro's and con's for both jobs and see how you feel. Because it's only a part time job, if you don't like it or things don't work out, you can always find yourself another part time job.

You are not actually changing careers as such, you are just doing this work to get extra money.

Marlise

Congrats on the engagement - and being a grandmother soon.

To be honest, I dont really think that any office job will tickle your fancy. Most of them will drive you nuts eventually.

Its all about who ever offers the most money, what is convenient for you - giving you time to work around your daughter etc. Weigh up in terms of convenience and money.

Although some of the work is strange, the advantage about working for public sector is that you can move from one section or building to the next. You have an opportunity to pay a pension and sometimes they are quite flexible when you have children.

I'm sure realistically, you dont want to a make a career out of an office job, or do you?:lol:

Latest posts

Back