could Zinc be the reason for my awful nails???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
hi

i have been having trouble with my nails for few months now, ever since i went on exclusion diet form hospital in september, they warned me that due to eating such a restrictive diet for 3 months it would effect my skin,nails, hair etc, but as i reintroduced foods they would start to pick up again, i was advised to take vits and minerals to keep healthy balance, however since xmas my nails have been coming away, splitting right down, getting raw spots and holes in them and generally looking unsightly, plus they are too sore and damaged for me to put any enhancements on them (bummer)

saw doctor about it last week as its really getting me down and they were particulaly sore , he sent me for barrage of blood tests etc, thought i had koilonchis(sp) spoon shaped nails caused by iron deficiency, however just had call last night to go and see him ASAP, saw him an hour ago and he told me iron levels are ok, but Zinc levels are extremely low, need course of tablets to boost levels, he isnt 100% but as Zinc is known to effect hair growth and condition then its probably that that is causing all the nail problems, told me it will be a couple of months before i see any improvement!!! what im worried is that im gonna take tablets for months (costing me a fortune) to find no improvement , then i have to go back to the begining with tests etc

i know calcium has nothing really to do with nails, other than a healthy balanced diet will help generally with how your nails/hair body acts etc

but does any know if Zinc deficiency really could be causing these problems, dont want to waste 2-3 months to have to be told it wasnt that and need to find another solution, want to start course ASAP, but cant while my hands are so hideous

thanks

Nicky x

Hi Nicky

I would say the general state of your health is the reason your nails are in such a bad state. Zinc is really good for boosting your immune system aswell so the fact that you are so low in this essential mineral will cause problems for your nails. Has you hair changed at all??

If I were you I would give everything a rest for a month or 2. It takes generally 3 months for a finger nail to grow completely out so you wont see an improvement for a while.

Hope you fell better soon
X

Nicky, this isn't really anything I know about but I just wanted to wish you well, I'd have a go with the zinc tablets especially as the tests have shown you are low. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Zinc is rich in anti-oxidents and can be found in nuts such as brazils and almonds (not the salted kind though) ... just something Gillian McKeith was talking about this week on You Are What You Eat ... safe to eat unless of course you have an allergy to nuts.

thanks for replies

yes charlotte my hair has been very dry and brittle , so maybe it is that, hope so, will get tablets tommorrow and start taking other vits n minerals like he suggested....heres hoping eh:lol:

nicky xx

well got the tablets today, they are efferverscent (sp) eugghhhh its like taking alkaseltzer!!!! (not that id know what there like of course im just assuming lol) gonna be hard to put up with these lol, think ill just eat bucketfulls of fish, nuts and chicken, oh wait no im allergic to nuts, chicken and shellfish, oh well loads of cod then please mr shopkeeper lol
anyone know anything else with zinc in it?

thanks

nicky

Holland and Barratt do their own range of zinc tablets. They are small so are easy to take with water, and the staff are well trained and extremely helpful.

Orin

Hi Nicky!

According to Gillian McKeiths 'You Are What You Eat' book, sesame seeds are a rich source of zinc. (Our health food store sells sesame snaps - little crunchy biscuit shaped bars which are yummy! But probably full of sugar !:lol:
Also containing zinc are pumpkin seeds and papayas.

Reading up on zinc in her book, she says the need for zinc increases during times of stress and is important for the metabolism of fatty acids and for the production of serotonin. (Isn't that the feel-good hormone?) She also says that cracks behind the ears indicate low zinc levels. This might be of interest to you and help you decide if you are deficient. HTH xx

Oh, it also says zinc deficiencies can take 6 months to a year to correct sorry about that bit!) x

Go to super drugs or boots for your zinc tablets they will be much cheaper and contain just the same ingredients

Go to super drugs or boots for your zinc tablets they will be much cheaper and contain just the same ingredients

I would go with whatever the doctor recommended you take, as Zinc in tablet form can be very hard for the body to absorb. I am guessing he is recommending you take Zinc Citrate or Chelated Zinc, as these are classed as 'easy absorption'.

Zinc is a huge factor when it comes to your body healing itself, so it is definitely worth following your doctor's advice.

I have been a vegetarian for all of my life, and I ensure I eat all the right foods (nuts, legumes, beans, whole grains and dairy) that will provide me with zinc, but because zinc absorption is greater from a diet rich in animal proteins than that of one rich in plant proteins, I take a supplement to ensure I am getting enough.

I take my supplement last thing at night on an empty stomach as this is ackowledged by some to be the best way for most effective absorption.

Trust your doctor though, he knows more about your health than anyone on this site!

thanks everyone, i did have a look at over the counter zinc, but they are 15mg and the tablets the doctor has given me are 125mg!!! so dont think they would help me at the mo lol, maybe when my levels are back up i could carry on with them to keep it toppped up?

i like sesame seeds so i will nibble on them and someone else told me mustard is good and chili powder etc so i smother me food in them lol

from what everyone has said about how zinc affects your body, immune system etc, im hoping this could indeed be the problem, and maybe in 2-3 months ill start seeing an improvement, (heres hoping)

think i might contact creative and ask them do they mind me taking the course while my nails are in such a bad way, i just think it could be off putting to other people on my course as they are very unsightly!

thanks again for all your help:lol:

nicky x

Latest posts

Back