Course Outlines & No# of hours required in US/UK for licensing...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I have to prepare a presentation for a local Career Education Center to propose teaching Nail Technology there.
I'm trying to piece together with very detailed 'specifics' what's required around the world, and why we need to improve standards in Canada.

Essentially, I want to say to them
In the UK, it's so many hours, and they cover xyz to earn qualification
In the US, it's so many hours, and " " " ", to get licensed.
In Quebec, it's 3days with any unqualified teacher to get a printed certificate of attendance with no license.
I want to change this.

SOOOOoo If you darlings could please break it down for me, what it took become "Qualified" as Nail Techs from beginning to end in terms of hours etc, that would help greatly for my presentation.
tHANKS!!

Hi Victoria

I went down the route of going to College (not private) which ran as follows
12week course (one evening per week for 3hours) culminating in 3 written assessments and 3 practical assessments covering health & safety, infections & contamination etc and polishing/mani/pedis.

Following this i attended 12 weeks again, 3hours per week, assessments (both written and practical) to qualify in liquid and powder enhancements. I learned sculpting & tip/overlay & nail repair using fibreglass.

I was then qualified. I then went on to convert to a system (6hour course) to use another product. And recently i converted to CND!

Many people go directly to CND, NSI Etc and qualify with them but at the time i didnt know enough about them and took the College route.

If I could do it again I'd have gone to CND directly but we live & learn !

Hope this helps if anything else you thinkI may be able to help with re this just ask I'll do what I can!

Ps that would be fantastic if you became an Educator :) good luck with it all! :)

xEm

Ps I am in Edinburgh Scotland!

Last edited:
Hi Victoria, when I went to coz school back in the 80's, it was only 300 hours to get my mani license. I have gone to a school's website in my area and gotten more current info. It does vary by state, though. This is for Michigan. HTH! :)

Manicuring Course OutlineCourse Name: Manicuring (600 Hours)
Textbook: Milady’s Standard Nail Technology, ISBN- 978-1-4354-9768-9 $108 Workbook: Milady's Standard Nail Technology, ISBN- 978-1-4354-9764-1 $49 Exam Review: Milady's Standard nail Technology, ISBN-978-1-4354-9763-4 $37 Authors: Sue Ellen Schultes, Deborah Beatty

Course Description: This course is the study of the basic principles of Nail Technology that will prepare students to meet all the requirements necessary to pass state licensure examination and obtain gainful employment in the field of Nail Technician.

Course Goals/ Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student shall have demonstrated competencies required to pass the State Board examination for licensure.

Instructional Methods: Instruction will be presented in the form of lectures, demonstrations, visual aids, textbook study, practical assignments and long term projects, field trips and practice on clinic patrons.

Grading Procedures: Report cards are prepared periodically at which time each student is evaluated on the following areas: 1) Theory, 2) Practical work, 3) Ethics. The report card also gives the students their total hours, average hours and identifies whether or not the student is making satisfactory progress.

Grading Scale:
95% - 100% Excellent
90% - 99% Above Average
89% - 80% Average
76% - 79% Needs Improvement
75% - Unsatisfactory

Units of Instruction:

Health and Sanitation/Patron Protection
Laws and Rules
Personal Hygiene
Salon Management
Mechanical and Electrical Equipment Safety
A total of 50 hours in theory, 50 hours in practical and a total of 100 Minimal Practical Applications shall be provided and required in the above subject matter.

ANATOMY AND DISORDERSA total of 25 hours in Theory shall be provided in the above subject matter.

ARTISTIC PRINCIPLESA total of 10 theory hours shall be provided in the above subject matter.

MANICURING/ PEDICURING TECHNIQUESA total of 20 theory hours, 50 practical hours, and 40 minimal practical applications shall be provided and required in the above subject matter.

CHEMISTRY / OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATIONA total of 15 theory hours shall be provided in the above subject matter.

ARTIFICIAL NAIL/ EXTENSIONS/ REPAIRSA total of 25 theory hours, 105 practical in the above subject matter.

CAREER AND EMPLOYMENT INFORMATIONProfessional ethics, effective communication and human relations, compensation, licensing requirements and regulations, principles of business management

Victoria, in Florida a prospective nail tech must complete 240 educational hours...actual classroom hours. She must pass chapter tests on materials covered weekly. She must also pass an HIV competency test and an implement/overall sanitization standards competency test.

She must also successfully perform (as determined by the instructor) a set number of manicures, pedicures, silk wraps, acrylic and gel enhancements.

Every two years, nail techs are required to pass a competency test in order to renew their license.

I'm working on getting the specific info for you.

Thanks ladies!
This is great stuff!
Exactly what i need to show the Career Center to establish a NEED for a GOOD education in this Industry in Quebec!!

KEEP IT COMING!!
xoxo

Personally, I would like to see continuing education be MANDATORY! It is not, in Michigan. You could be licensed in 1970, never take another class and just renew your license (hair/nails/skin) every two years.

Personally, I would like to see continuing education be MANDATORY! It is not, in Michigan. You could be licensed in 1970, never take another class and just renew your license (hair/nails/skin) every two years.

In Quebec, I'd be happy to start with establishing qualifications and licensing, before moving onto that LOL

Hey Hun. In the US it really depends on the state you are in. I trained in Louisiana where the requirement is 500 hrs where here in MS it's only 360.

Course curriculum for Louisiana was based on the Milady Nail education books. And we were tested from this book state wide.

Test included practical, book, and state sanitation. This was also true when I became licensed in Mississippi.

I also believe Texas requires 750 hrs, but not really sure about that. So as I said, it varies :)

Hey folks!

In Quebec, it's 3days with any unqualified teacher to get a printed certificate of attendance with no license.
I want to change this.

The UK might not be a good place to quote, its basically the same as Quebec.

In the UK (apart from some parts of London which I understand have a kind of license system for nail techs), you could, in theory, open a salon/mobile business with very little or even no training:Scared: . Whether you would get insurance is another matter, all insurance companies would want proof of your training and qualifications.

Its a joke really, and consequently there are loads of poorly trained and non qualified techs operating over here. Personally I would like to see regulations introduced in the UK, but the problem is it would just hinder and financially penalise legitimate techs and the cowboys out there will carry on regardless.

I understand that in the UK there is no regulations or minimum training/qualification requirements for lots of different beauty treatments including hairdressing, waxing, make up etc.

So I might start offering hair cuts tomorrow. I don't think I will get any repeat clients though :biggrin:

Vic I have a scan of my transcript from beauty school if you want it. Its from NY 1986. Let me know via email nsutthoffatgmaildotcom.

Germany anyone can be a nail tech with or with out qualification the same any one can teach nail and it's a nightmare to find insurance specifically for nails!

It's odd as hair is classed as a handy craft and you need education and insurance and a license for it, not nails,

In England I did the collage rout first , we had to sit health & safety exam Inc kOHS , fire safety, risk assessment ,salon safety etc

3 mani assesmentd with French , dark , light polish ,

Then I think it was fiber glass assessment

Acrylic assessment
Acrylic maintenance including one fix
Acrylic removal

3 art exams

10 case study's
Hummmm anatomy and physis but not an assessment ,

Chemistry

And can't remember lol

Missouri --

Apprentices (who have served under the supervision of a licensed cosmetologist) must have no less than:
• 3000 hours for cosmetologists
• 1500 hours for estheticians
• 800 hours for manicurists

Students (of a licensed school) must have no less than:
• 1500 hours training for cosmetologists (1220 hours training from a public vocational technical school)
• 750 hours training for estheticians
• 400 hours training for manicurists

I had to take a chapter test from each chapter from Milady. I also had to take a test from the Rules and Statutes for Missouri.

After the hours completed during school, and passing all of the chapter tests during school, I had to take a written test for the state. After passing the written test, I had to take a practical test for the state. During the practical, we had to demonstrate a manicure (on a practice hand), apply one silk/fiberglass wrap, one tip, and one sculptured acrylic extension (all on the same hand). We were graded on our ability to demonstrate these things correctly, safely and in a sanitary manner.

License renewal is every 2 years, and we do not have to test any further.

Thanks everyone, this is great information.
Exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for.
keep it coming; the more I have, the more to present to the Directors at the Career Center to show a NEED to establish standards here.

THANKS!!!
:wink2:

My goodness that has shocked me. In the UK you can go on a day course and 7 hours later have a certificate in manicure and pedicure which is accredited and enables you to obtain insurance.

And of course as it has been pointed out, you do not need any training to operate in the nail business if you are happy to work without insurance.

xx

Anyone else care to share their information in this regard,please and thanks
:Love:

Hi Victoria, from the beauty tech website: US State Board of Cosmetology Listing

Not sure how current the info is (the Michigan info is off by 200 hours for mani) but it gives you an idea what is required from each state in the US.

HTH! :hug:

OHHHHHHHHHHH THANKS!
Totally forgot about that site!!!
All this info is a great help for drawing comparisons for my presentation

:Love:

Keep us posted on how it goes. I sincerely wish you all the best. I truly admire your PASSION! :hug:

Thanks so very much!
shall keep you posted!!

Latest posts

Back