Courses - nails and massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOM

Reaction score
Hi,

This post probably should be seperated out into the differant forums but wasn't sure which it would fall into as it's sort of 1 question.

I have a potential situation not sure of what exact quals they have right now as my GF has gone to bed:
2 girls.

Girl a) nvq qualified in nails/waxing etc short of massage and facials
Girl b) betec qualified in beauty/massage/waxing but short of nails until next year

I understand they will cover these things in depth in there next years at college so waiting is still an option but we are just throwing around the idea of letting them do short courses now and some in house training.

Just covering the options.
Can anyone suggest any short courses for massage?
Can anyone suggest any short courses for acrylic nails?

maybe do a google search? also try hyperion they do courses in nails hths

hi, thanks

anyone done the mercia corse at sallys... was it a good basic introduction?

Personally Jon, I wouldn't do a short course in massage unless the person in question had learnt a lot of A&P. There is so much A&P covered in a massage course that I doubt you could learn much in a couple of days and in fact may even cause some damage to a client due to lack of knowledge - jmho. Ditto for short nail courses, although not as much A&P covered.

Thanks for the link Kelly :)

Joe -
forgive me but I only do the background business stuff for the salon, what does A&P stand for?

Thanks for the link Kelly :)

Joe -
forgive me but I only do the background business stuff for the salon, what does A&P stand for?

Sorry Jon, A&P is anatomy & physiology, learning about muscles, bones in the body, how the body works etc.

Hi joe

I used millenium nails in gateshead. 1 day course you then go away practice then go back in 4 weeks and sit the test, easy. i went away and after a couple of sets felt confident and had good results.

Or try salon services in manchester, i did my manicure and pedicure course with them. There nails course is 2 days and i found them to be good. I would have did the nail course with them but it was the travelling over 2 days that put me off.

Sounds easy TanMan and other geeks may agree with you, but I just think you could potentially harm a client without sufficient training. JMHO. What about contra-indications etc. Did you learn all lymph drainage points, axial and appendicular skeletal bones etc?

I already learnt those from manicure and pedicure (im only taling about the nails and not massage) I agree that you need to go on long courses to learn massage.

But yes we went through nail infections/diseases types of nail. But as i said you have to go away and practice, and youd have to practice on any course. They only pass you when you go back and do a full set of nails on a model and the written test.

aaaahhhh, now I am with you, I thought you meant you had one day on massage and then went away and practiced - phew!!

I think the girl who needs the massage has VCTC in depilation and VCTC in Nails (including maincure/pedicure).
I think she will have covered some of the lymphatic system and anatomy of hands and feet, the bones of the thorax section type bones and muscles I am pressuming would be covered on the massage courses?

thanks for the link funkymanda, have you used these people before?

I think the girl who needs the massage has VCTC in depilation and VCTC in Nails (including maincure/pedicure).
I think she will have covered some of the lymphatic system and anatomy of hands and feet, the bones of the thorax section type bones and muscles I am pressuming would be covered on the massage courses?

A decent massage course should cover the bones and muscles of the whole body, as well as all the other systems of the body. Massage affects the body as a whole so you need to know how it works as a whole to give a safe effective treatment. As has been said previously, you really need to do a longer course for massage to learn the proper techniques and how to put them into practice properly. It's not as simple as it looks!!:)

Hi joe

I used millenium nails in gateshead. 1 day course you then go away practice then go back in 4 weeks and sit the test, easy. i went away and after a couple of sets felt confident and had good results.

Or try salon services in manchester, i did my manicure and pedicure course with them. There nails course is 2 days and i found them to be good. I would have did the nail course with them but it was the travelling over 2 days that put me off.

Hi Mr Tan Man

I heard Millenium Nails weren't very good with their training? What did you think because i was going to start the Nail course next week but my friend said she heard bad things about it!

Thanks

Dannii

thanks for the link funkymanda, have you used these people before?

Yes have used them, they run short intensive courses, no more than 4 students at any time. Very friendly too.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Latest posts

Back