Covering 100% grey with L'oreal Majirel not working?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soph2396

Reaction score
I'm new to using loreal and finding that the majirel permanent range is not covering as well. I'm finding it is looking quite transparent and leaving a shadow. can anyone help with a solution to get it to cover 100% please :) ?

I'm new to using loreal and finding that the majirel permanent range is not covering as well. I'm finding it is looking quite transparent and leaving a shadow. can anyone help with a solution to get it to cover 100% please :) ?

okay so if your using a base or golden basic it should cover 100% if you are using any other majirel colour you need to add half base for example

for warm colour 6.66 you would use 1/2 6.66 and 1/2 6.3.
for cool colours 6.1 you would use 1/2 6.1 and 1/2 6.

and other questions let me know

What developer are you using?

What %ge Grey, the base and target base?

I sometimes use 7.5% developer on restistant grey for better cuticle penetration.

okay so if your using a base or golden basic it should cover 100% if you are using any other majirel colour you need to add half base for example

for warm colour 6.66 you would use 1/2 6.66 and 1/2 6.3.
for cool colours 6.1 you would use 1/2 6.1 and 1/2 6.

and other questions let me know
so if I was using solely 8,0 I would have to put a gold shade in, is that what you're saying?

What developer are you using?

What %ge Grey, the base and target base?

I sometimes use 7.5% developer on restistant grey for better cuticle penetration.
We have a few clients that are 100% white which is very resistant the target base for one client we had trouble with was a 8,0. we use it with 6% and it seems to just deposit and not lift. We used a 8,0 on a client and it came out like a 6.

I will let Gemma advise on Loreal as I am a Wella girl X

so if I was using solely 8,0 I would have to put a gold shade in, is that what you're saying?
no, you dont mix anything with 8.0.. its a flat colour.. almost like a base but 8.0 doesnt let any natural pigment come through..

if your using a .1 .2 .7 .8 you would mix 1/2 base with chosen cool colour with 20vol
if your using a .4 .6 .5 .8 you would mix 1/2 golden basic with chosen warm colour with 20vol

no, you dont mix anything with 8.0.. its a flat colour.. almost like a base but 8.0 doesnt let any natural pigment come through..

if your using a .1 .2 .7 .8 you would mix 1/2 base with chosen cool colour with 20vol
if your using a .4 .6 .5 .8 you would mix 1/2 golden basic with chosen warm colour with 20vol
Okay so the 8,0 should cover?? we only have trouble with that solely on its own. when it comes to adding tone and things in its fine unless it is really resistant. I used to use wella and with our resistant clients I used to just use 88/0 which is the intense base and it would cover so perfect so I am finding it really hard to adjust as its not getting the same result and existing clients are noticing.

I will let Gemma advise on Loreal as I am a Wella girl X
yeah i used to be! but changing to a loreal salon has really thrown me only on the resistant colour front.

Okay so the 8,0 should cover?? we only have trouble with that solely on its own. when it comes to adding tone and things in its fine unless it is really resistant. I used to use wella and with our resistant clients I used to just use 88/0 which is the intense base and it would cover so perfect so I am finding it really hard to adjust as its not getting the same result and existing clients are noticing.

remember if there is a colour build up on their hair atm it will look translusent anyway.. so id if that happens maybe try a gentle cleanse to shift the mid band.. also how are you applying the colour and i dont mean that to insult btw i mean it as it are you taking it straight through everytime kinda thing xxxx

remember if there is a colour build up on their hair atm it will look translusent anyway.. so id if that happens maybe try a gentle cleanse to shift the mid band.. also how are you applying the colour and i dont mean that to insult btw i mean it as it are you taking it straight through everytime kinda thing xxxx
normally pop it on the roots first leave it for say 10/15 mins when it is really resistant so it is on there for longer and then go ahead and take it straight through if need be but that's not always the case.

Have you tried a 7 loreal base in place of an 88/0 wella?

I always find loreal takes lighter vs wella and 1 is black with loreal, 2 with Wella etc?

Or maybe a 1:1 ratio or Loreal 8/0 and 7/0

Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks

Have you tried a 7 loreal base in place of an 88/0 wella?

I always find loreal takes lighter vs wella and 1 is black with loreal, 2 with Wella etc?

Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
No we haven't as were finding its looking darker so we are worried if we went a shade darker it would go too dark.

normally pop it on the roots first leave it for say 10/15 mins when it is really resistant so it is on there for longer and then go ahead and take it straight through if need be but that's not always the case.
okay try applying to roots then

okay.. so if you are just replacing the shine you put it through 5 mins before taking off. if you are replacing tone/reflect you take through 15mins before and if your replacing tone and depth you take through immediately.. i would need to see the hair to be able to give you advice tbh.. xxxxx

okay try applying to roots then

okay.. so if you are just replacing the shine you put it through 5 mins before taking off. if you are replacing tone/reflect you take through 15mins before and if your replacing tone and depth you take through immediately.. i would need to see the hair to be able to give you advice tbh.. xxxxx
No worries thanks for the advice I'm going to ring L'Oréal and see what they can suggest.

Majirel is great to get a blend of grey on resistant hair, it's not the best for 100% coverage. I like it for that reason as can give a soft blend like a semi would. If you want 100% you need to use there base shades or mainly base to target shade. Inoa gives you better grey coverage. It's more expensive and you need to use more product as it does not swell as ammonia free. The application takes longer.

I personally dont take majirel though to lengths and ends unless virgin head or really short hair that is cut regularly because of the ammonia. Dia light or richesse all the way for take though. I find if the hair stays healthier so does the colour :)

You can try mixing with water instead of peroxide to take through the ends as this will coat and actually works as i do it on reds etc as peroxide can sometimes strip the colour out if already coloured on the ends and not always in great condition xx

Latest posts

Back