Covering grey - Wella help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxo

Reaction score
My client is natural base 6 with about 50% grey.
Ive always used KP 6/0 20vol and processed for 30 minutes and the coverage has always been good.
Recently it hasn't covered as well. So her last few appointments I've tried using double base, processing for longer and pre softening but still no luck.
Also checked if she was on any medication but she's not.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Have you ever tried going down to a 10 vol? Sometimes when covering grey, lifting it with a 20 opens the cuticle enough and doesn't allow the deposit to happen properly, Id suggest trying a patch at the back first before you apply it to her whole head and wasting color, some clients it works better with 10

Could you be using to much developer? This can happen if you dilute the tint!

Have you ever tried going down to a 10 vol? Sometimes when covering grey, lifting it with a 20 opens the cuticle enough and doesn't allow the deposit to happen properly, Id suggest trying a patch at the back first before you apply it to her whole head and wasting color, some clients it works better with 10

Your comment doesn't make sense to me. If her clients grey hair is that resistant then 10vol DEFINITELY won't open the cuticle. 30 Vol is only really for lifting with bleach and highlifts and 20 being the most widely used volume for deposit and lifting. 10Vol will do nothing.

I use 10 vol when I need extra deposit

Does for me too, but depends on texture etc of clients hair

You could open the cuticle more with shampoo and 9% like a bath at the basin, only 5 mins, then use 6% and 66/0 , or add a touch of gold mix to help it grab.

I have to say though some color touch and 4% does work suprisingly well on seemingly resistant grey

Couldn't imagine covering grey hair with 10 vol!

I can cover greys with 10vol providing it's not too coarse :)
Have you tried pre-softening?

Yeah but that just takes more time especially when 20 vol will do the job!

My client is natural base 6 with about 50% grey.
Ive always used KP 6/0 20vol and processed for 30 minutes and the coverage has always been good.
Recently it hasn't covered as well. So her last few appointments I've tried using double base, processing for longer and pre softening but still no luck.
Also checked if she was on any medication but she's not.
Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Presumably you're not taking it through each time but just doing the roots?
At this stage, I'd try a different brand to see if that makes any difference.

Pre softening doesn't take much longer (and if I'm pre softening then I always use 20vol, I was just saying I can cover with 10vol)

Pre softening doesn't take much longer (and if I'm pre softening then I always use 20vol, I was just saying I can cover with 10vol)

LOL I know sometimes if I accidently dilute the colour it looks translucent I can't imagine 10 vol doing the hard work lol

Latest posts

Back