Covering your holiday

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
I'm on my own so when I go on holiday what would I do. Shut up shop or have someone work for the week. And how would that work. I'd obviously need someone I trust I know. I'm not actually going on holiday as I didn't know what to do with the shop so any advice would be appreciated x

If it was me id shut the shop. How about if the person you had in, messed up clients etc.. and gave you a bad name? Or some clients may follow them when you get back? Jus my opinion :) xx

If it was me id shut the shop. How about if the person you had in, messed up clients etc.. and gave you a bad name? Or some clients may follow them when you get back? Jus my opinion :) xx

This is what I was thinking. But then I'm also thinking they would go elsewhere if I'm shut and then always go there x lol dilemma x perhaps I'll plan a holiday for 2015 x

Would you be going on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks? If you had clients that have weekly/ fortnightly/ monthly appointments could you offer them a little discount if they had there (i know you do lashes) infills done a little early before you went? You could always put a message on your website/facebook & a sign on your door saying you were going away and were taking bookings from the day you get back and a little tagline to keep selling yourself even tho you are away? Xx

Would you be going on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks? If you had clients that have weekly/ fortnightly/ monthly appointments could you offer them a little discount if they had there (i know you do lashes) infills done a little early before you went? You could always put a message on your website/facebook & a sign on your door saying you were going away and were taking bookings from the day you get back and a little tagline to keep selling yourself even tho you are away? Xx

Yeah think I will do just that hun. I don't want to come back having to fill someone else works and such x I was mainly thinking of tans really as my regulars I know would wait or have tem done just before I go. I would only go away for a week anyway really x

I wouldn't pass over to someone else princess as doll said their treatments & standards may not be as high as yours, and you don't want to risk them stealing your clients! I'd shut down and offer the treatments a little earlier as doll suggested (great idea doll!) hope it's all going well! Xx

Hi, I'm not sure how it works in your area, but do you have a locum-type service where someone could cover? That sort of thing was starting out when I started my salon but I never actually used the service. I did think it was a bit risky. I'd plan well in advance and then shut up shop. You're regulars will work around it with enough advance notice.

Hi

I personally would shut up for the week - Id offer as many late night appointments the week before and week after to accommodate your customers
xx

I wouldnt pass clients over, although I dont think you'd lose them to anyone else ;-), you're fab at what you do!
Could you just make out you're fully booked up for that week and fit them in another time? like you would if you were fully booked anyway? if that makes sense..
xx

I wouldnt pass clients over, although I dont think you'd lose them to anyone else ;-), you're fab at what you do!
Could you just make out you're fully booked up for that week and fit them in another time? like you would if you were fully booked anyway? if that makes sense..
xx

I could I suppose yeah but I might as well b upfront and say I'm having a holiday x Ahhh u can do my tanning though ha ha

i have 2 girls that work part time with me and cover my shifts when i go away , i can only ever miss 1 weekend, so i go saturday after work till the following wednesday. but in the time i'm away most of my clients don't come in anyway cos they know i'm not there. so if i was in your situation i would tell them all well in advance, work like a mad thing fitting them all in before you go, shut up shop and enjoy your few days away... you deserve it. x

I work alone and have a weeks holiday a year which this year I am taking in may and I have had a notice up in the salon since march so my clients have had 2 months notice. The week before I go I am working mon-fri 9am- 9pm with a 15 min gap for lunch. This is what I have done since I opened four years ago and my clients now start asking when my holiday is going to be in January and book if they are monthly clients backwards. My fortnightly clients start doing it 2 months before, and this works well for me. I also take my mobile with me and divert all my calls to this and take bookings from people who I don't see that often, or new clients. I had one client go somewhere else as she need an appointment while I was away but she came back to me three months late as she did not like the way the other salon worked.
Kirsty

Last edited:
Luckily I work from home so I advise all my clients well in advance when I will be closed and make sure they are all booked in before I go and after I get back.

I also post on my website, Facebook group, Facebook page and persona. I also have a separate work mobile with a voicemail message informing people I am away and when I will be back.

I also send a group text to all the people on my database to let them know.

I do miss out on customers, but such is life! My regulars are taken care of and that is the main thing.

Obviously having a shop is different and you will have to close - but I would prefer to do that than worry for a week about finding a therapist that I can trust completely - someone else looking after my customers properly, adhering to my standards is a big ask and I would rather lose some money than potentially lose all my customers!

I used to run a pub and had some hellish holidays with phone calls galore with problems, niggles and grievances from the staff.

My advice is plan in advance, close up for a week and relax!

Good luck xx

I would shut up shop leave sign in window divert phone to a mobile and ask a family member/friend to man diary for you so you have a lovely packed week to return to. I had my 21 year old daughter do that for me I coached her on how I like the telephone answered and to explain to clients booking are being taking any queries on a list for when I get back. It worked great no worries about poaching or lower standards. The shop sign clearly said to call the number so even "walkins" could phone. And most importantly I relaxed!

Just be careful on your sign in the window as we know you have to let your customers know but you don't want to advertise the fact you won't be there to burglars etc x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Just be careful on your sign in the window as we know you have to let your customers know but you don't want to advertise the fact you won't be there to burglars etc x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I agree! x

I'd shut up shop too Clare, i wouldn't trust anyone, (I suppose if your clients did go elsewhere whilst you were away they'd soon be back for your lashes though!!!)

were are you planning on going in 2015 then lol, anywhere hot?? haha xx

I'd shut up shop too Clare, i wouldn't trust anyone, (I suppose if your clients did go elsewhere whilst you were away they'd soon be back for your lashes though!!!)

were are you planning on going in 2015 then lol, anywhere hot?? haha xx

Lol i just had my partner on my back " are we going to be able to go on holiday" I'm thinking I may go away for three smaller mid week breaks instead of one big hol xx

I would just shut up shop, that's what i'm doing for my holidays. I started telling clients in February that i will be leaving for a week early June and when i get back i will be letting them know (well the ones i haven't told :p) that i will be gone to Scotland for a week in September. this way they have a heads up and we can make sure they come before or after my vacations for their services.

I also make sure a week before any holiday that i send out email/text reminders that i will be gone this date to this date. i change my voicemail to say i am currently on holiday (i don't live alone so this doesn't affect my home treatment room for thieves)

I work from home, so I tell clients before and I find they book the week before and the week after. I leae a voice massage on fone so I don't have to worry about a thing

Latest posts

Back