COVID 19 for self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccymoo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I’m wondering if anyone has found any information pertaining to the self employed that don’t have ratable value premises... for example mobile therapists, those like me that rent rooms... hairdressers renting chairs... I don’t think we qualify for the government grant, I think all we can get is SSP or universal credit... honestly, after building a successful business up for 17 years I can’t believe we are in this position... I’m devastated...

It isn’t clear what the eligibility criteria is at the moment but hopefully you can apply for a business interruption loan from next week.

This is what the gov.uk website says. I'm also in the same boat, I rent a room and don't pay business rates so it's a worrying time

Support for businesses that pay business rates

We will introduce a business rates retail holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year.
Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019 to 2020 tax year will be rebilled by their local authority as soon as possible.
A £25,000 grant will be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
Any enquiries on eligibility for, or provision of, the reliefs should be directed to the relevant local authority. Guidance for local authorities on the business rates holiday will be published by 20 March

Support for businesses that pay little or no business rates

The government will provide additional funding for local authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBBR). This will provide a one-off grant of £10,000 to businesses currently eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, to help meet their ongoing business costs.
If your business is eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, you will be contacted by your local authority – you do not need to apply.
Funding for the scheme will be provided to local authorities by government in early April. Guidance for local authorities on the scheme will be provided shortly.

This is what the gov.uk website says. I'm also in the same boat, I rent a room and don't pay business rates so it's a worrying time

Support for businesses that pay business rates

We will introduce a business rates retail holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year.
Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019 to 2020 tax year will be rebilled by their local authority as soon as possible.
A £25,000 grant will be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
Any enquiries on eligibility for, or provision of, the reliefs should be directed to the relevant local authority. Guidance for local authorities on the business rates holiday will be published by 20 March

Support for businesses that pay little or no business rates

The government will provide additional funding for local authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBBR). This will provide a one-off grant of £10,000 to businesses currently eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, to help meet their ongoing business costs.
If your business is eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, you will be contacted by your local authority – you do not need to apply.
Funding for the scheme will be provided to local authorities by government in early April. Guidance for local authorities on the scheme will be provided shortly.

Exactly - without our name being on the council rate book we don’t qualify... Wonder if our landlords are going to let us off our rent?! I think we are only entitled to SSP or Universal Credit?

I applied yesterday for universal credit online, that takes a month for a decision. Surely we don't qualify for ssp if we are self-employed?

This is such a grey area. I'm a mobile therapist and dont think I'm entitled to a penny.

I rent a chair in a barbers. Luckily it’s my husbands shop but I still pay the salon rent but have no lease drawn up or don’t pay any bills or rates, even my bank account I use for my business is not a “business account” due to the extra costs. The info for the grant scheme seems to be asking for lease agreements, BUSINESS account statements and BUSINESS utility bills. I obviously have none of these. However I’m registered with HMRC and pay tax and NI, so surely I should count as an individual business that needs help! ‍♀️

I applied yesterday for universal credit online, that takes a month for a decision. Surely we don't qualify for ssp if we are self-employed?

I have too but you have to verify your identity on you gov and i’ve tried all 5 verifiers and they don’t work. So I can’t be verified, so can’t get it. Total nightmare.

According to various news updates, advice specifically for the self employed is to be announced in the coming days.

Latest posts

Back