Covid-19 surcharge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean787

Reaction score
Hi salon owners out there who are getting prepared to reopen for business !
I have a small business. I have provided everything I can think of to help keep my 4 part time staff members and clients Covid 19 safe ( with the exception of screens ), of course we are still waiting on confirmation and guidelines from the Government.
These purchases have cost a small fortune and will need replacing as stocks run low, and of course the salons cannot operate at full capacity in order to social distance.
I just wondered how many salons will be adding a Covid surcharge to the bills ?
I have done my own little survey and asked family and friends if they are expecting to pay more for the hair treatments when salons reopen. I was surprised to hear how they appear to be totally oblivious of the financial impact this will have on salons, especially those at the lower end of the profit margin.
My business head is telling me we cannot be expected to cover the costs ourselves, but it concerns me the clients might be expecting the prices to stay the same as before.
Would like to hear your thoughts

Hi,
To cover costs of PPE etc I was thinking I might add £2 to each bill irrespective of service. And removing this charge when the safety measures are no longer needed.

But then I’ve just been thinking if a client were just to have an eyebrow wax, it’s now £10.50 instead of £8.50... it’s still a fresh set of PPE regardless of how long the treatment takes though.

We have to cover our costs somehow, just hope clients will be understanding.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated, didn’t really want to put prices up as only opened at the end of October x

It is a tricky one isn't it.
Yes, cover the cost of PPE, but it doesn't stop there does it. I have a spacious salon ( 7 styling units ), there will be max 2 stylist on duty plus one person to clean and disinfect areas after each client ect. I am hoping to allow similar time slots to how we have always booked but, allowing time in case staff get behind, and limiting the number of clients in the salon. " Time is money " so the extra time booked out is another loss. I have bought lots more gowns to avoid using the disposables so it will mean a lot more laundering and there is the constant use of cleaning products.
I spoke to someone who has been told she will have to pay £15/£20 extra for a colour, cut and finish, which does sound a bit steep, but maybe they plan on one client per stylist at a time.
Where do you draw the line ????
So today, we might the the thumbs up to open July 4th. I wonder if the guidelines will be released before the phones starting ringing ???

Nope my lot are on me already like a ton of bricks [emoji30]

So, we can open July 4th. Has anyone seen any government guidelines yet ???? I cannot find anything tonight. CRAZY !! It's like you can open for business July 4th, but we are not telling you what guidelines you have to follow just yet :oops::oops::oops::oops:!!! typical

Nope my lot are on me already like a ton of bricks [emoji30]
You mean they don't want to pay a surcharge for their own protection ???

Hi
In Scotland there is a fund, Town and Bids Resilience and Recovery Fund which was announced to help the high street reopen. The PPE is something that has been discussed by salons as a cost as well as iPads to do consultations. A few businesses have also put contactless payment as a cost. I’m not an expert on this but have joined a local group to apply for the funding. This must be available in England too I hope. Every little helps.

Funny story- I went to the dentist yesterday for a big filling to be taken out and refilled.
I'd seen them 2 weeks ago for another treatment.
Yesterday, they were wearing full-on surgical style 'scrubs', visors, solid masks, gloves of course and goggles.
I was told the entire lot for 2 people cost £20. At the end of the appointment I was told I needed to pay this amount...

Now, honestly, I really needed the work doing, and I appreciate they're fiddling around in my mouth with its huge ability to infect them, but prior warning of the charge, and the amount would have been right. And if I'd known about it I would have booked longer to have another little filling and some cleaning done.

I've worked out that my PPE for 50 clients (mask each for them and me, disposable apron, visor, additional couch roll, saloncide spray and hand sanitizer, bags for dirty gowns and towels, gloves at precovid prices) is about £2per person.

I use fabric gowns and towels anyway so the laundering is the same (although they will wear quicker), I'm not serving drinks, and as I only work 2 days a week I'm going to swallow this, whilst asking clients to bring their own mask for cutting and styling services.
If I was full time, I couldn't afford to, especially if I were employing a team.

I will apply for the 70% self employed grant in August as I can't fit as many people in so my business has been impacted, and i applied for a BounceBack Loan to at least take the pressure off, although that hasn't come through yet.
I haven't considered increasing prices to mitigate the reduced number of clients I can see as I personally see that as part of the risk of going solo, but as an employer I can see that the decrease hits alot harder.

I have sent my precise operating procedures out to my clients, detailing all the changes and requirements and asking for their help in reducing costs by being on time, bringing their own masks, sealed drinks and reading matter and not bringing excess belongings with them.

You have alot of people.and costs to consider- someone needs to pay for them, and it cant always be you.
You're doing your best to reduce the chance of infection (reduce not eliminate) and clients need to do the same, by either paying an additional charge or bringing their own resources.
Decide what has to work for you and write it down.
Tell clients in advance, remind them before their appt by phone call, text or email and even check as they arrive that they've got everything they need.

And, don't bl**dy apologise!! You're opening your salon which allows your team to earn a living, your clients to start to look and feel fantastic again and you're working really hard to do it in as safe a way as possible.

Best of luck, to all of us.

Funny story- I went to the dentist yesterday for a big filling to be taken out and refilled.
I'd seen them 2 weeks ago for another treatment.
Yesterday, they were wearing full-on surgical style 'scrubs', visors, solid masks, gloves of course and goggles.
I was told the entire lot for 2 people cost £20. At the end of the appointment I was told I needed to pay this amount...

Now, honestly, I really needed the work doing, and I appreciate they're fiddling around in my mouth with its huge ability to infect them, but prior warning of the charge, and the amount would have been right. And if I'd known about it I would have booked longer to have another little filling and some cleaning done.

I've worked out that my PPE for 50 clients (mask each for them and me, disposable apron, visor, additional couch roll, saloncide spray and hand sanitizer, bags for dirty gowns and towels, gloves at precovid prices) is about £2per person.

I use fabric gowns and towels anyway so the laundering is the same (although they will wear quicker), I'm not serving drinks, and as I only work 2 days a week I'm going to swallow this, whilst asking clients to bring their own mask for cutting and styling services.
If I was full time, I couldn't afford to, especially if I were employing a team.

I will apply for the 70% self employed grant in August as I can't fit as many people in so my business has been impacted, and i applied for a BounceBack Loan to at least take the pressure off, although that hasn't come through yet.
I haven't considered increasing prices to mitigate the reduced number of clients I can see as I personally see that as part of the risk of going solo, but as an employer I can see that the decrease hits alot harder.

I have sent my precise operating procedures out to my clients, detailing all the changes and requirements and asking for their help in reducing costs by being on time, bringing their own masks, sealed drinks and reading matter and not bringing excess belongings with them.

You have alot of people.and costs to consider- someone needs to pay for them, and it cant always be you.
You're doing your best to reduce the chance of infection (reduce not eliminate) and clients need to do the same, by either paying an additional charge or bringing their own resources.
Decide what has to work for you and write it down.
Tell clients in advance, remind them before their appt by phone call, text or email and even check as they arrive that they've got everything they need.

And, don't bl**dy apologise!! You're opening your salon which allows your team to earn a living, your clients to start to look and feel fantastic again and you're working really hard to do it in as safe a way as possible.

Best of luck, to all of us.

You’re lucky your dentist did the filling, i had half of one fall out just before lockdown and they won’t fix it

You mean they don't want to pay a surcharge for their own protection ???

Nooo I just mean they’re all clamouring for appointments!! I haven’t broached the subject of protection

We were thinking of charging customers for one of 'our' masks if they don't bring their own. We bought loads of masks for staff, before all the guidelines came out said we only need visors so we've got loads!! There should be a separate government grant or something to cover all the PPE/sanitizer etc we all need!

Absolutely add a surcharge... min wage has gone up in April, you would need to access prices anyway so it’s a great time to increase price... and those clients that won’t pay and your worried about losing?? Let them go and make way for clients that will pay your prices.. I think lockdown has taught us just how important hairdressers are and yet we still feel we need to discount.. it’s like we are scared to charge more because we enjoy what we do....
hopefully clients have more respect for us now too.

Hi salon owners out there who are getting prepared to reopen for business !
I have a small business. I have provided everything I can think of to help keep my 4 part time staff members and clients Covid 19 safe ( with the exception of screens ), of course we are still waiting on confirmation and guidelines from the Government.
These purchases have cost a small fortune and will need replacing as stocks run low, and of course the salons cannot operate at full capacity in order to social distance.
I just wondered how many salons will be adding a Covid surcharge to the bills ?
I have done my own little survey and asked family and friends if they are expecting to pay more for the hair treatments when salons reopen. I was surprised to hear how they appear to be totally oblivious of the financial impact this will have on salons, especially those at the lower end of the profit margin.
My business head is telling me we cannot be expected to cover the costs ourselves, but it concerns me the clients might be expecting the prices to stay the same as before.
Would like to hear your thoughts

Your business head is correct. Do it and ignore the bitching and moaning. This to shall pass. I have my clients raising prices and a $2 - $3 sterilization fee.

Hi,
To cover costs of PPE etc I was thinking I might add £2 to each bill irrespective of service. And removing this charge when the safety measures are no longer needed.

But then I’ve just been thinking if a client were just to have an eyebrow wax, it’s now £10.50 instead of £8.50... it’s still a fresh set of PPE regardless of how long the treatment takes though.

We have to cover our costs somehow, just hope clients will be understanding.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated, didn’t really want to put prices up as only opened at the end of October x

Apart from shields that can be cleaned and disinfected, there’s really no change to me. I was wearing goggles and disposable masks for every client before this, and will insist they are already wearing one before they come in. A face shield you could insist on and add £2 if they need to buy one but then encourage them to wear it elsewhere and when they return. That’s really no cost to you and will make you look hella good.

Latest posts

Back