Cracked tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipstick Kisses

Reaction score
Hiya! Hoping someone can suggest something, I tanned a client (suntana extradark) last Tuesday and she texted me yesterday to say it's all cracking on her arms and now her legs! View attachment 84284
She's says she's not been moisturising so i think that's what's caused it but she's got an event this week so wants to look nice, I told her to exfoliate and I would go back and re-spray tonight to cover it and then to keep moisturising afterwards, is this the right thing to do? I've been tanning for 3 years and never had this happen before! Any suggestions of causes and solutions greatly appreciated xx

Just looks like dry skin that's what happens when they don't moisturise . Hope your charging for another tan x

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah it's definitely the skin, the tan doesn't go scaly skin does. Looks like she needs to exfoliate, I usually recommend 3-4 days into the tan to start lightly exfoliating. X

Ah thank you! I will stress the importance of moisturising ☺️

Yep definitely her skin. Mine goes like that if I don't exfoliate or moisturise. If you told her it was very important to exfoliate & moisturise etc in the run up to her appointment when she booked I'd be charging her for redoing it.

You answered your own question after a week if proper upkeep has been done it will fade evenly if she's not been maintaining her tan it will do exactly that! Shaving can also cause this sort of effect!

I find the darker the tan, the more this can happen also x

DHA sensitivity. Yes I agree with all above, 'the tan won't go scaly the skin does' so comes down to maintenance and moisturising.
Using a high DHA solution can be problematic with sensitive skin types - Advise her to go for a lighter tan next time (such as the choc 12% or cherry 10%) and I am sure she will find it much more suitable :)

In addition to the dry skin issues, The tan is too dark for her. Putting a dark or extra dark tan on pale skin will only ever cause a very distinct colour contrast between the natural skin colour and the tan. It's the equivalent of dying someone's hair black when they only have a few strands of hair....because of the stark difference it will always show. I very very rarely use anything above the medium in the suntana and I'm in Liverpool where the girls LOVE to be tanned. The medium goes really well, even on the tanned girls. Hope this helps x

Totally agree with Lindylou here, I use Suntana and only use the 14% 'after dark' on girls with olive skin and they do go a very deep brown, it is far to intense for someone with skin as pale as the lady in the pic, if a client insists I would warn them of a patchy fade off.
I would only re spray her with the 10% and deffo charge as it is not your fault she hasn't followed your aftercare!
I have fair quite dry skin and I have found that Soap and Glorys Butter Yourself is fab to use on about day 4 of the tan as it contains AHA's (fruit acids) which help remove any stubborn patches.

Coming for coming from someone who is AMAZINGLY pale skinned, If I was paying a good price for a tan, I'd expect to be dark if I requested dark. I would be very unhappy If I wanted a dark spray tan and was told no you can't as you have pale skin, I'd rather be paying elsewhere. As qualified in spray tan, I always advise this may happen with paler skin and darker solution, I advise it helps the transition to come to off if you follow EXACT aftercare including a good moisturiser for skin type., but is always a possibility though that it may happen. But I would never tell them they can't have it don as there to light lol.

But yes charge again and advise advise advise importance of aftercare. But it will always happen with darker solution + paler skin! it's only the same if I used a regular retail tan and due to come off or if I don't moisturise, tell them to try it if don't believe you lol :)

Latest posts

Back