Cracks on tips underneath??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

CND EA. Essie Spokesperson
Reaction score
Hi all!
brand new to here.. but have been reading lots of helpful threads - thanks- I'm a bit confused as I am learning your art in German and struggling a bit over here.. .... sigh
I am doing my exam on tuesday (in german!) next and its all a bit overwhelming to be honest anyway
3 days ago in a top up class, I did a new gel set with tips on a client and the end result was (I thought) really nice. Today she rings me to let me know that she has slight long cracks underneath the free edge (i.e. the tips)... OK here's her deal .. she's a cleaning lady therefore I have advised her to wear gloves , small nail beds therefore I did short nails (squoval - for strength)

Now she's coming back on sunday... what should I do? She says that you cant see it from above but when you look underneath you can see the crack. The tips were fitted by myself under the supervision of the trainer so I am certain that they were not too small .. not really the best confidence boost 4 days before my exam :eek:

Any ideas what this is (water/detergent?) and what should I do to fix this ?
thanks

what i found is....

If i used a file off gel IF i did get stress cracks on the underside of the tips - it wouldnt affect the nails other than it looking unsightly.

If i used a soak off....the gel too would split eventually.

Why do tips split in the first place??

Hmm never got to the bottom of that one !

Did you use a santiser or any product on the tips b4 applying the gel?

Did you maybe overblend or use too harsh a grit file?

If you do a search you may get more answers on tips splitting

Hi Amber

thanks for the reply, interesting, I used a sanitizer on the nail & tip after brushing off the dust just to make sure sure (dont have scrubfresh over here... may have to import)

Only thing though is that inn the class we did one hand gel one hand acrylic and she said that the acrylic hand is find just the gel hand (and they are file off not soak off)
Ill do a search on tip splitting - thanks for the 'tip'

Cait

Hi ya

yep you shouldnt use sanitiser on the tips JUST the nail.

hth
amb x

OK ... thought that applied just to primer... some things get lost in the translation... thanks !!

If your cleanser contains acetone then that's more than likely where the problem lies.

could be product "shrinkage" that caused the tips to crack also

I was just about to answer this when I saw Carl's answer which would also be my answer.

Gels SHRINK when they cure! You can visibly see it after the cure. It is why we have to 'cap' the edges well or the gel would just shrink away from the sides and free edge.

Shrinkage causes pressure which is visible in these micro cracks you are seeing.

I don't think I would class these micro cracks as really unsightly as to anyone else but the wearer it will be invisible!

Sometimes you can get away with it, but most micro cracks later with time lead to full breaks.

Use thinner layers to build your gel OR use a better quality gel that does not shrink so much. I must say, I have never experienced these micro cracks when using Brisa Gels, but some brands do shrink more than others.

Hello hello!

Thanks for the replies! .. Hmmm I feel an addiction coming on... just got home and already back on the geek site!!!
I also thought about shrinkage.. I reckon it could be the cleaner at the course as it it the gel cleaner and I asked before (cause I had read about scrubfresh here so I thought maybe....?) and was told yes, I could use this.. but now looking at the ingredients there is acetone in there! hmph! I havent seen the nails yet .. but as I said its only on the gel nails ... if it is unsightly Ill have to take them off wont I ..eek! that'll be a pain cause they are file off
:cry:

Ill let you know on Sunday

P.S. This site is bl**dy excellent ... calming my nerves no end !

I did a client once who rang with the same thing....i hadn't had this with any of my other clients so was miffed as to what it could be....then after posting on here about it i learnt that it was due to her nail beds being very flat and the tips i used where not suitable for her due to this....so i got some tips for flat nails...(although you can use any tip but use a size bigger than you need and taylor them) and re-did her nails...this sorted the problem.

did she had flat nail beds at all.....?

Yes! actually yes!
very small and flat ....
hmmmm..... sounds like I should switch to acrylic and forms?
But why didnt this happen on the acrylic hand ? (FYI was on a course and did a mock exam one hand gel, one acrylic)

BTW how did you remedy the complaint Bagpuss? Shes coming on Sunday and I suppose is expecting some sort of fix??

I was very honest and told her that as i had not experienced nails such as hers before i had no idea that this would happen but i was more than happy to remove and re-do at no extra charge..she was happy with that and is still with me now...just be honest..x

I was just about to answer this when I saw Carl's answer which would also be my answer.

Gels SHRINK when they cure! You can visibly see it after the cure. It is why we have to 'cap' the edges well or the gel would just shrink away from the sides and free edge.

Shrinkage causes pressure which is visible in these micro cracks you are seeing.

I don't think I would class these micro cracks as really unsightly as to anyone else but the wearer it will be invisible!

Sometimes you can get away with it, but most micro cracks later with time lead to full breaks.

Use thinner layers to build your gel OR use a better quality gel that does not shrink so much. I must say, I have never experienced these micro cracks when using Brisa Gels, but some brands do shrink more than others.

ok i have a question..at the moment on two of my nails (brisa) i have two cracks on the free edge (underneath though) what should i do? should i take the lot off and retip? or can this be fixed another way? thanks nic

Nik

You can file back/off as much product as you can -
When the new product is applied it will be obviously thicker than the previous thinned out crack.
Giving strength & support. but not 100% clarity you will see the split unless disguised or soaked off & reapplied.

HtH

XX J XX

Nik

You can file back/off as much product as you can -
When the new product is applied it will be obviously thicker than the previous thinned out crack.
Giving strength & support. but not 100% clarity you will see the split unless disguised or soaked off & reapplied.

HtH

XX J XX

thankyou!
I wasnt just being lazy or anything( :lol:) and not wanting to remove product lol wasnt sure about if it was completley nessasary to remove ALL product thats all thanks mate Nic

ok i have a question..at the moment on two of my nails (brisa) i have two cracks on the free edge (underneath though) what should i do? should i take the lot off and retip? or can this be fixed another way? thanks nic

I'd just leave it until you need to do something. Then when you redo them you can retip.

Sometimes peeps file the tips too thin before application and then the tip does not withstand the pressure of the shrinkage. If it is only on 2 nails, then that is probably why.

But why didnt this happen on the acrylic hand ? (FYI was on a course and did a mock exam one hand gel, one acrylic)
If it was down to product shrinkage, maybe your mix ratio was fine on the L&P hand, so no shrinkage to speak of.

Latest posts

Back