Crafting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDmakeup

Reaction score
Into Autumn now and at this time of year I always want to spend any free afternoons sitting with a cup of tea, autumnal candles burning and some sort of craft to pass the time by. I know I must sound like a pensioner but honestly I'm only 23 haha.
My only problem(apart from lack of time) is that I don't really know how to do many crafts. I can finger knit :lol: but only know how to do one long line which is useless unless I'm making a scarf for a mouse. I really fancy trying to crochet but don't know where to begin. I have watched one or two videos on youtube. Is this enough to get me started if I buy the right materials or should I really splash some cash and get some books?
What crafts do you all do when you have some free time?

I do a lot of sewing and embroidery and I always find YouTube more helpful than books. I think it can depend on how you learn but I find watching the tutorials easier. :)

Get on Pinterest for inspiration & ideas then Google 'how to' from there! This post has made me feel autumny & warm ^.^ yay

I'm only 23 to and love making things lol! Have a look in hobby craft they have loads if nice things and ideas! I love making cards just never have the time! Xx

I make sock monkeys, everyone loves them. Stripy socks work best. I would put some photos on but cant work out how to do it.... good at practical things crap at technology!!!

I feel old telling people I go to a craft class the first Wednesday of every month with my mum and I'm only 19, I love it lol!! Try maybe searching craft classes in your area? It's great fun and I've learned loads of new things! Mines is £5 and that includes all materials for whatever we are doing that month, tea coffee and cake it's amazing!! And we obviously get to take home whatever we make :) xxx

.........I really fancy trying to crochet but don't know where to begin. I have watched one or two videos on youtube. Is this enough to get me started if I buy the right materials or should I really splash some cash and get some books? .........
Crochet is not hard and the materials needed are minimal. You just need a crochet hook and some wool.

My nan taught me how to crochet as a child and she also taught me to knit (both with knitting needles and on a knitting machine). I find seeing how to make a stitch is easier than understanding a pattern.

I have made loads of things from big blankets to frilly baby girls hats and cardigan sets.

I think the easiest thing to make is blankets as you can just do the same stitch all the way from the beginning to the end. A hat or a cardigan will take a bit more concentration and I use a few different stitches when making my hats & cardigans.

My son's blanket:

My daughters blanket:

Hat I made for my daughter before she was born (modeled by a doll):

I love to craft aswell. Mainly sewing and embroidery. But I do love to knit and cross stich, make cards, candles, bath bombs etc

I'm making 2 huge quilts at the money one is a hand embroidered Disney princess quilt and another a special Twilight themed quilt.

I'm also working in an advent calendar make from a cardboard house with 24 little draws. I think I'm going to embroider the number and stick them to the front if each little box, then full them with a little choc for each if my kids (3).

I have loads if Xmas craft ideas and love Pinterest for ideas.

I too find YouTube way better than books.

I can not crochet at all, I have tried and tried and tried burbs just can not get the hang if it. Knitting is a diddle compared to crochet (in my opinion) my mother I. Law says you can't be good at both, it's one or the other. My sure how true that is though

Jemima :)

I can both knit & crochet but I prefer to crochet and as I prefer crochet I find I do more crochet than knitting. Although I'm considering getting my knitting machine out shortly to make a few Christmas pressies.

I also enjoy sewing and making things. I made myself a pair of frilly shorts to wear under a fancy dress outfit last year (as I couldn't find what I wanted in my size for sale anywhere).

Ooh I would love to try embroidery too. I'm going to keep an eye out for any classes that I could go along to. I know that there are quilting classes on atm but they are full up :(
I took myself along to John Lewis yesterday and bought myself a hook and some wool and spent my Saturday night trying to get to grips with crochet haha. In my defence I started work at 7am today so had to have an early night.
I definitely need some practice with this though. I had thought about trying a blanket at first and those pictures of your blankets look lovely so I think that's what I will try.
I'm so tempted to pop along to Hobby Craft but I know that my bank account will not thank me.

I can both knit & crochet but I prefer to crochet and as I prefer crochet I find I do more crochet than knitting. Although I'm considering getting my knitting machine out shortly to make a few Christmas pressies.

I also enjoy sewing and making things. I made myself a pair of frilly shorts to wear under a fancy dress outfit last year (as I couldn't find what I wanted in my size for sale anywhere).

I have a knitting machine but I struggle to get things to be the right size. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

You need to ensure the tension is correct or adjust the amount of stitches to get the size you want.

On a pattern it usually tells you "x amount of stitches is 1 inch" so you do the amount of stitches they suggest and see if it measures 1inch. If it doesn't you have to adjust the amount of stitches you have to get 1 inch. When you know how many stitches you need to make 1 inch you then times it to get the correct size.

If your machine knitting and your items seem to be coming out too small then you probably have the tension set too tight. The opposite if they are coming out too big.

I have not had my machine set up for years (I used to knit at my nans house but she's passed away) I'm sure it will be fun setting my machine up and trying to remember where everything goes, then getting the tensions right etc.. I hope it comes flooding back as my nan is not here now to ask for help.

I make soap in my spare time and im 25 xx :)
I love it x

You need to ensure the tension is correct or adjust the amount of stitches to get the size you want.

On a pattern it usually tells you "x amount of stitches is 1 inch" so you do the amount of stitches they suggest and see if it measures 1inch. If it doesn't you have to adjust the amount of stitches you have to get 1 inch. When you know how many stitches you need to make 1 inch you then times it to get the correct size.

If your machine knitting and your items seem to be coming out too small then you probably have the tension set too tight. The opposite if they are coming out too big.

I have not had my machine set up for years (I used to knit at my nans house but she's passed away) I'm sure it will be fun setting my machine up and trying to remember where everything goes, then getting the tensions right etc.. I hope it comes flooding back as my nan is not here now to ask for help.

Thank you I don't think I can change the tension on my machine however I could do the square to see what it comes out like and then just do the garment in a bigger size.

Might have to have another go x

Into Autumn now and at this time of year I always want to spend any free afternoons sitting with a cup of tea, autumnal candles burning and some sort of craft to pass the time by. I know I must sound like a pensioner but honestly I'm only 23 haha.
My only problem(apart from lack of time) is that I don't really know how to do many crafts. I can finger knit :lol: but only know how to do one long line which is useless unless I'm making a scarf for a mouse. I really fancy trying to crochet but don't know where to begin. I have watched one or two videos on youtube. Is this enough to get me started if I buy the right materials or should I really splash some cash and get some books?
What crafts do you all do when you have some free time?

Jewellery making ?

You could then use it for retail :)

Surrey Girl through and through x

Latest posts

Back