Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw one today for individual lashes and tint for £16.50!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I saw a salon today with an 'a board' outside advertising One hour full body massage £22 or three for £45!

£4 for a spray tan. Usually £8. :O

Laura x

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

think somebody skipped their business classes at beauty college

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

think somebody skipped their business classes at beauty college

Or they aren't even trained/qualified as most of these Cheap spray tanners (I'm not going to use the term technician) are randoms that buy akit and watch a tutorial on YouTube 😡

Jokers!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Totally agree with this post. We were charging more for beauty 20 years ago than we are now. I actually closed my beauty dept, as it was more hassle than it was worth. Thank god I'm a hairdresser.

I think the issue is that nearly 100,000 people a year are training in beauty. There just aren't enough jobs. It's unfair and unrealistic to expect that these unemployed or under employed therapists will just give up and go away. Most are too inexperienced to know how to charge properly.
Lets face it, as a top up to benefits, or for a 17 year old with just a mobile phone bill to pay, these button-like weekly earnings are probably better than nothing. Unfortunately it's set a precedent in the industry which damages legitimate businesses trying to pay therapist salaries, as well as make a profit.

At my local college, people can do a 12 week fast track NVQ2 in beauty. In doing so, I'm sorry to say that beauty has kind of lost status.
Now, I fully expect the people who have done one day courses to disagree or try and shout me down, but just be aware that I'm not the one scratching a living on minimum wage.

It makes me so cross as I trained for three years to become a beauty therapist taking a level an anatomy and business studies. Bloody hard work as well as having placements within a beauty salon to gain experience ... And now it appears u can do a three hour course not in even exam conditions and be qualified in lashes tanning waxing etc. It should be banned. Would stop all these silly prices out there 👿

It makes me so cross as I trained for three years to become a beauty therapist taking a level an anatomy and business studies. Bloody hard work as well as having placements within a beauty salon to gain experience ... And now it appears u can do a three hour course not in even exam conditions and be qualified in lashes tanning waxing etc. It should be banned. Would stop all these silly prices out there 👿

Bev, I feel your pain. I trained for three years as well.

However, you are the Prada of the beauty industry. The 3 hour kids can't compete with you. Be proud to charge properly, and seek out the discerning clients with morals and money.

I seen a post on Facebook today offering shellac for £5 mobile! Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I saw a salon today with an 'a board' outside advertising One hour full body massage £22 or three for £45!

What? So the third is a whopping £1. This is by far the most ridiculous I have seen on this thread!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

[QUOTE=Nails omg crazy usually £8 these prices do make me laugh

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

No it wouldn't. It's a number of factors. Everywhere I look there are salons - some even next door to each other. Surely that doesn't help in a buyer's market.

I've seen $150 for keratin bonded hair extensions!!!
That's crazy...
One of my friends told me they got her extensions done by this lady and she told her its Chinese hair.
Probably explains why it's so cheap

When I first took my course and was doing my at-home practicum, I charged only $10 just to pay for my product only; but every time I sent my educator photos and she would say "okay now you can charge $20!" Maybe they are just starting out, I just slowly raised my prices every time I felt I deserved it!

just seen on facebook someone adverting gelish manicure and pedicure for £25. then there has been a little note added this is just my hobby and not my job hence the cheap prices. Why o why bother!!:grr:

just seen on facebook someone adverting gelish manicure and pedicure for £25. then there has been a little note added this is just my hobby and not my job hence the cheap prices. Why o why bother!!:grr:

To be fair I offer Gelish toes and fingers for £25. I'm fully qualified and for me it's more a hobby than anything else.

I'm always fully booked 2 weeks in advance and they are mostly regular ladies.

I work 3.5 days in an office, I'm in my late 30's, have two small children. I have a lovely nail room at home and I enjoy every minute of it.

I'm due to train with Flirties in two weeks time and I'll be charging £45 once I'm confident. I don't see anything wrong with offering cheap prices if you Are offering a genuine service with genuine products and you are fully qualified and insured :)

To be fair I offer Gelish toes and fingers for £25. I'm fully qualified and for me it's more a hobby than anything else.

I work 3.5 days in an office, I'm in my late 30's, have two small children. I have a lovely nail room at home and I enjoy every minute of it.

I'm due to train with Flirties in two weeks time and I'll be charging £45 once I'm confident. I don't see anything wrong with offering cheap prices if you Are offering a genuine service with genuine products and you are fully qualified and insured :)

Don't you see that as being slightly unfair?? You've just admitted your run your nail business as a hobby and you also have a job alongside your nails.

How would you feel if I walked into your boss's office and offered to do your job for 40% less?

I'm not trying to be horrible here, but it's bad enough for us techs who are doing this as a legitimate business, not a hobby and having to compete with low, low prices.

If you have a skill and you're paying for your training which you are, why settle for less??

This whole thread is based on cheap prices and what we have seen!
Why admit its a hobby more than anything else. You are bound to wind up so many other geeks on here and it could cause for this thread to be closed!

There are many people on here who beauty is their first and only means of income and their only job. x

Leely x

This whole thread is based on cheap prices and what we have seen!
Why admit its a hobby more than anything else. You are bound to wind up so many other geeks on here and it could cause for this thread to be closed!

There are many people on here who beauty is their first and only means of income and their only job. x

Leely x

You see this is where hair and beauty/nails differ. The cost of highlights varies greatly and we dont get offended. I have plenty of friends who qualified and have only ever done freinds and family for "pocket money".
You do all seem to get incredibly insecure about this. Do you think its because nails are a luxury where as hair is something that is a necessity so we know that 99% of the population use hair services and that price is rarely a deciding factor in where they chose tp spend their money.

Babe, if you're working three and a half days elsewhere, claiming to be 'fully booked' makes those of us who work in a salon as our careers, roll our eyes.
Five clients a week ain't 'choka' in our world!
Five clients would equal a slow morning to a real career pro.
Nearly me is correct. You pretty much insulted everyone on this forum who is serious about their career, and your attitude embodies everything that's wrong in the industry.

You see this is where hair and beauty/nails differ. The cost of highlights varies greatly and we dont get offended. I have plenty of friends who qualified and have only ever done freinds and family for "pocket money".
You do all seem to get incredibly insecure about this. Do you think its because nails are a luxury where as hair is something that is a necessity so we know that 99% of the population use hair services and that price is rarely a deciding factor in where they chose tp spend their money.

I don't think it's because we're insecure per se, it's just people undercutting with ridiculously low prices can end up devaluing the industry and premium brand products and yes, I do think that in this current economic climate nails and beauty are very much a luxury item whereas hair is more of a necessity.

Although saying that, in Liverpool, I feel that Make up is now becoming more popular than nails and tans, especially with some of the younger girls and funnily enough most of the MUA's all seem to stick to the one price which is between £20 and £25. I don't see many MUA's offering a full face of make up for £7, unless I've missed a few pages on here of examples of this! :D

Offering gelish hands & toes at £25 (for both?) as a hobby is why those who are trying to make a living charging normal prices are suffering If you want to earn very little money for your time, thats your choice. But other people rely on their clients custom to keep a roof over their heads, & can not work for peanuts.

If you charged average prices (£20-£25 for hands, & £20-£25 for toes) you'd be able to cut your time in your day job & let your hobby become your career, doing one treatment instead of two (less product, less time) more time to yourself to boot.

Have you done your accounts & worked out how long it has taken you to earn your money? Once you've deducted products, & tax, its probably min wage... Which in turn pays you for your training, insurance, electric & your time & skill.

People here have added costs of fuel & time being mobile, salons have rent, staff to pay, business rates which is why we moan about low prices, which are totally unrealistic for making a living.

We pay for training, our time & our skill (which came with hours of practise & studying) why should we work for minimum wage or less?
Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back