Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knitting is a hobby.

Beauty Therapy should never, ever be classed as a hobby. No wonder this industry is going down the pan! :evil:

Don't you see that as being slightly unfair?? You've just admitted your run your nail business as a hobby and you also have a job alongside your nails.

How would you feel if I walked into your boss's office and offered to do your job for 40% less?

I'm not trying to be horrible here, but it's bad enough for us techs who are doing this as a legitimate business, not a hobby and having to compete with low, low prices.

If you have a skill and you're paying for your training which you are, why settle for less??

I'm not settling for less, quite the opposite in fact. There are so many girls and salons in my area who also offer Harmony Gelish and CND Shellac for the same price as I do.

I charge £15 for Shellac or Gelish or £25 if having both. I think it's slightly unfair to slate my pricing structure when you are not aware of the competition in my area.

Yes I do have a job in an office and I've worked hard to get there too. I decided to reduce my hours when my children were born.

There is no way I'd be able to offer Nails and Make up full time with two young children as my nail room is at home. In fact I actually wouldn't want to... I don't rush appointments, I'm not the quickest but my ladies enjoy their visit, I enjoy it and am building up a nice client base.

The salons in my area charge £20 for Shellac and £45-£50 for lashes so I don't see how competing with those is offending you all seeing as every region is different.

I can lose customers as easily as you and I work hard to promote my business.

I don't have '5' clients a week I have 16 and I often work til 9pm most evenings and weekends, whilst working during the day and attending to my family so please don't be rude and insult my qualifications or intentions.

I have invested a lot of money into my business and yes I'm sure if I sat and worked it out hourly then it wouldn't be great but I only started in January and as I'm sure you are all aware, no business is expected to make a profit in the first year.....

We all have to start somewhere... I just started 20 years later than most in this industry and I knew it was tough out there but I really didn't expect this response.

I'm very disappointed and quite upset by your reactions and I'm sorry I even posted on here. I'm sorry that I used the word 'Hobby' - I never meant to offend anyone but I stand by everything I am doing and everything I have worked for.....
:(

I'm not settling for less, quite the opposite in fact. There are so many girls and salons in my area who also offer Harmony Gelish and CND Shellac for the same price as I do.

I charge £15 for Shellac or Gelish or £25 if having both. I think it's slightly unfair to slate my pricing structure when you are not aware of the competition in my area.

Yes I do have a job in an office and I've worked hard to get there too. I decided to reduce my hours when my children were born.

There is no way I'd be able to offer Nails and Make up full time with two young children as my nail room is at home. In fact I actually wouldn't want to... I don't rush appointments, I'm not the quickest but my ladies enjoy their visit, I enjoy it and am building up a nice client base.

The salons in my area charge £20 for Shellac and £45-£50 for lashes so I don't see how competing with those is offending you all seeing as every region is different.

I don't have '5' clients a week I have 16 and I often work til 9pm most evenings and weekends, whilst working during the day and attending to my family so please don't be rude and insult my qualifications or intentions.

I have invested a lot of money into my business and yes I'm sure if I sat and worked it out hourly then it wouldn't be great but I only started in January and as I'm sure you are all aware, no business is expected to make a profit in the first year.....

We all have to start somewhere... I just started 20 years later than most in this industry and I knew it was tough out there but I really didn't expect this response.

I'm very disappointed and quite upset by your reactions and I'm sorry I even posted on here. I'm sorry that I used the word 'Hobby' - I never meant to offend anyone but I stand by everything I am doing and everything I have worked for.....

Don't apologise or justify what you do or how you do it.... and don't ever get upset by what others say on here. We all have our opinions and ideas and you are entitled to say your piece the same as everyone else.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I looked at your work on facebook and it is amazing. I think that is why your clients come to you, not your price

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Angie... I believe the concern comes with your prices for shellac, not lashes as I charge 50 for lashes too. I charge 20 for a standard manicure. That's more than your shellac price and it's infuriating because how am I supposed to compete when I don't have an income from an office job to supplement it?

Not having a go, just trying to make you see why it is frustrating for us who are making a living and not just supplementing our incomes.

I probably haven't said this in the right way so I apologise if I appear nasty.x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Angie... I believe the concern comes with your prices for shellac, not lashes as I charge 50 for lashes too. I charge 20 for a standard manicure. That's more than your shellac price and it's infuriating because how am I supposed to compete when I don't have an income from an office job to supplement it?

Not having a go, just trying to make you see why it is frustrating for us who are making a living and not just supplementing our incomes.

I probably haven't said this in the right way so I apologise if I appear nasty.x

Then why don't you get a second job to compensate. ..is this just jealousy on your part? Or you can't be bothered, or nothing else makes you happy. ...you can't criticise someone for trying to get on surely and saying. .. ' that's unfair I can't compete' it is a ridiculous comment in my eyes...

Last edited:

Hi. I don't think you are being nasty at all and I totally understand where you are coming from but do you know.... not one person had the courtesy to ask why my prices are what they are?!

I don't have the experience that most people on here have.
I'm not the quickest.
Salons near me only charge £25 for Shellac.
I'm not mobile so have no fuel costs to factor in.
My CND Educator charges £25 for Shellac and she has 10 years or more experience.... So with that in mind I think my prices are fair.

Not that it's relevant but I intend to increase my prices in Jan but only by £2 so it will be £17... And that's where it will stay.

The more I think about it now the more cross I get... Ok yes maybe the term 'Hobby' is not the right word but what else do you call something that you enjoy doing that you don't earn a living from???

Thank you to the ladies that have been kind with your comments, much appreciated. :)

We do all have to start somewhere, & a lot of geeks advise new geeks not to under sell their selves, & their time & their services as it is harder to increase prices than it is to do an offer when you are quiet. This is all said from experience.

We want people to charge their worth. After working out cost per service, electric, training, kit, insurance, tax & your time your prices need to be higher to earn a wage. Eventually you will have to increase your prices. (Edit;I see you are...YAY 😊)

Whilst you aren't expected to make a profit in your first year as start up is expensive, you spend your money buying a better range of products etc, you dont want to have to work twice as hard to make your business profit. By which stage, finishing at 9pm giving up your weekends, you may decide it just isn't worth it any more.

Once you have your confidence & qualifications it is time to charge accordingly.

I can see on social media sites people charging half of what I do, or £5 less. I still get business, & I am not working for nothing. Id rather do 2 clients to their 4.

You have set up a business to earn money. We would all like to see you succeed in doing that. 😊

There are many geeks on here who have years of business experience who know what they are taking about & are sharing their knowledge for free.

It is all said with the best intentions for you to make the most of your business & your time.

Xx

We do all have to start somewhere, & a lot of geeks advise new geeks not to under sell their selves, & their time & their services as it is harder to increase prices than it is to do an offer when you are quiet. This is all said from experience.

You should aim to be on parr with salon prices, 'competing' isn't low prices it is similar pricing. We want people to charge their worth. After working out cost per service, electric, training, kit, insurance, tax & your time your prices need to be higher to earn a wage. Eventually you will have to increase your prices.

Once you do your next tax return you may end up very surprised at all the hours you have worked for very little return.

Whilst you aren't expected to make a profit in your first year as start up is expensive, you spend your money buying a better range of products etc, you will probably have to work twice as hard to make your business profit. By which stage, finishing at 9pm giving up your weekends, you may decide it just isn't worth it any more.

Once you have your confidence & qualifications it is time to charge accordingly.

I can see on social media sites people charging half of what I do, or £5 less. I still get business, & I am not working for nothing. Id rather do 2 clients to their 4.

You have set up a business to earn money. We would all like to see you succeed in doing that.

There are many geeks on here who have years of business experience who know what they are taking about & are sharing their knowledge for free.

You may not agree right now, but in a year or two, id imagine you will.

It is all said with the best intentions for you to make the most of your business & your time.

Xx

Thank you. :)

I do what I do because I enjoy it. I work til 9 pm most evenings because i want to and not because I have to.

I keep the later bookings for my friends who are paying clients too, so it's social for me too.

I do spend time with my family and as I'm based at home it's even better.
X

I have been trying not to read this thread because it really infuriates me to be honest. I am sick to the back teeth of people in my area offering things so cheaply and it tends to be as a 'hobby' I wish there were regulations even minimum pricing are tibby Oliver has done with shrinking violet. This would then show the folks using counterfeit products! 👍 but alas it's just a pipe dream 😩 the latest thing that has ripped my knitting is a school girl using blue sky charging £5, extensions £10 and is apparenty raking it in.... 😵

I'm moving soon to another area (quite nice) as hubby is in The Army.

I've had a peep at some FB business pages in the area we're moving to and have seen 3 x facials for £22, my entry level facial is more than that for a half an hour treatment!

I'm moving soon to another area (quite nice) as hubby is in The Army.

I've had a peep at some FB business pages in the area we're moving to and have seen 3 x facials for £22, my entry level facial is more than that for a half an hour treatment!

How do you propose to charge your services as probably you wouldn't charge those prices would you. .do you keep to your prices and get customers 'when they eventually realise you could be better than the rest' or keep your prices 'because it doesn't matter if you have one customer a month' or would you lower your prices to keep just ahead of the competition and work harder for less. ..or would you supplement beauty with a second job ..... this is quite interesting.

How do you propose to charge your services as probably you wouldn't charge those prices would you. .do you keep to your prices and get customers 'when they eventually realise you could be better than the rest' or keep your prices 'because it doesn't matter if you have one customer a month' or would you lower your prices to keep just ahead of the competition and work harder for less. ..or would you supplement beauty with a second job ..... this is quite interesting.

I'll continue to charge the prices that I have here, I may even research the demographic and raise them a little (the area I am currently in is saturated with BT's, an old college lecturer from the college I studied in has opened a beauty school offering short and one day courses about 2 minutes from my house and I see daily more people starting in the industry).

No lowering prices and no second job either! I know my business model inside and out, and who my target audience are.

Just because someone is charging £7-8 for a facial doesn't mean that I will.

I'll continue to charge the prices that I have here, I may even research the demographic and raise them a little (the area I am currently in is saturated with BT's, an old college lecturer from the college I studied in has opened a beauty school offering short and one day courses about 2 minutes from my house and I see daily more people starting in the industry).

No lowering prices and no second job either! I know my business model inside and out, and who my target audience are.

Just because someone is charging £7-8 for a facial doesn't mean that I will.

Thanks BA . It just interested me. This is by far the easiest industry to get into and possibly one of the lowest paid for most. I'm not saying anything out of turn here. Just fact.

Hi. I don't think you are being nasty at all and I totally understand where you are coming from but do you know.... not one person had the courtesy to ask why my prices are what they are?!

I don't have the experience that most people on here have.
I'm not the quickest.
Salons near me only charge £25 for Shellac.
I'm not mobile so have no fuel costs to factor in.
My CND Educator charges £25 for Shellac and she has 10 years or more experience.... So with that in mind I think my prices are fair.

Not that it's relevant but I intend to increase my prices in Jan but only by £2 so it will be £17... And that's where it will stay.

The more I think about it now the more cross I get... Ok yes maybe the term 'Hobby' is not the right word but what else do you call something that you enjoy doing that you don't earn a living from???

Thank you to the ladies that have been kind with your comments, much appreciated. :)

Back on this topic again! It's one that we all get so passionate about!

I totally get where your coming from as I have said on other threads- shellac is £15 near me, acrylic is £8-10! There are of course a few salons are offering shellac for more but that's the general price so I won't berate you for your pricing structure as u struggle to raise my prices any higher than you do! I think it totally devalues our industry, our products, services and all our training and financial investment charging these nonsense prices but have little option as it's so accessible to the consumer at a lower price round here!

Should I end up renting a chair as I intend to next year it will be a) out if area and b) higher prices

I totally get where others are coming from too though, it does make it hard if you want to make this your living and you have to compete with techs charging £15 and probably some salon owner near you will be stressing and worrying etc that they can't compete with you!

It's is VERY different as a salon owner to that of a mobile or home tech, we simply don't have the overheads they do so the pricing issue affects then more!

Prime example of crazy pricing.

I had a new enquiry last night for acrylic nails with gelish over the top, the possible new client sent me a pic of the nail art she wanted. Both ring fingers I gave her my price of £37 which is probably quite cheap for all the work she wanted doing. For her to reply and tell me, that's too expensive I can get that all done for £20 and they last a week. Which says it all.

Leely x

Thanks BA . It just interested me. This is by far the easiest industry to get into and possibly one of the lowest paid for most. I'm not saying anything out of turn here. Just fact.

That's ok! I didn't take it as anything other than you being interested, hence my answer.

It wasn't easy for me, three years of study as a mature student, whilst working a full time job. But I'm far happier now and know it was all worth it :)

Last edited:
That's ok! I didn't take it as anything other than you being interested, hence my answer.

It wasn't easy for me, three years of study as a mature student, whilst working a full time job. But I'm far happier now and know it was all worth it :)

Hi Balance - can I ask are you a salon, home salon or mobile? Will you open a new salon in your new area?

Then why don't you get a second job to compensate. ..is this just jealousy on your part? Or you can't be bothered, or nothing else makes you happy. ...you can't criticise someone for trying to get on surely and saying. .. ' that's unfair I can't compete' it is a ridiculous comment in my eyes...

Haha if only you knew me you wouldn't have made such a ridiculous comment. And why on earth should I get a second job when im making sufficient money from beauty? Just so I can drop my prices and have it as a hobby? I dont think so!

If I were to compete and charge 15 I would not be where I am today because it's just not a sustainable amount in the long run for me to put food on the table.

Maybe now you can understand why I will not get a second job and I am not just jealous...?!

Haha if only you knew me you wouldn't have made such a ridiculous comment. And why on earth should I get a second job when im making sufficient money from beauty? Just so I can drop my prices and have it as a hobby? I dont think so!

If I were to compete and charge 15 I would not be where I am today because it's just not a sustainable amount in the long run for me to put food on the table.

Maybe now you can understand why I will not get a second job and I am not just jealous...?!

It was a valid comment. . But here again stands the same question.. what is classed as sufficient money. ..putting food on the table and paying the bills, not much else and working 70 hours to get it. This is where it fails a little for me personally. I fully admit I do this for a hobby. . I'm fully qualified, insured and probably more critical of health and safety and the correct procedures and standards are met than most. However one customer alone will generate me £500 minimum in one day (CACI treatments course of ten- generally 3 hours a week for 3.5 weeks and money up front) look how many hours you have to sit there and do nails for to make that money and is even worse if someone charges £7 a set. No doubt I'll be reading ' it's not all about money. I love my job it makes me so happy' (coming from those that complain continually). You need money to survive. End of. You need good money to have a good life - 70 hours on minimum wage or less doesn't cut it for me. Sorry to everyone that is offended by this, if you feel like that then do something about it.

And what makes me laugh the hardest is most of the people complaining about reduced prices/deals/£7 shellac on here and getting in a right state about it. .do you forget you've added your link to your Facebook pages on a previous thread and you charge the same as what you are complaining about. ...! Common sense is really not that common! .... and for those that will point out I charge £15 for a cut and blow dry one day a week in my hair salon. ...please remember this works for ME. I have customers and I'm not the one complaining. (Pink bunny this whole post was not directed at you personally. ... )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back